Who do you consider the most overscored women singles skater in recent history? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who do you consider the most overscored women singles skater in recent history?

Most overscored women singles skater in recent memory?

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
While I also believe Debi Thomas was grossly overrated and overscored I believe it was also a case of being in the right position at the right time to gain that stature and recognition with fans and judges that they were almost compelled to treat her like a top 2 skater along with Witt. Also the agressive campaigning of her jackas# of a coach made it her to not mantain her inflated status as a skater or else he would make a production about it, heck he even complained about her scores as it is if one can believe that.

3 skaters anyway had a chance to establish themselves, in the judges eyes, as the anointed rival to Katarina Witt during the quadrennial leading to Calgary. Kira Ivanova had the first crack at it in 85, she came into the year as the previous years Olympic bronze medalist and seemed to have the backing of her federation over the 84 World silver medalist Kondrashova. Kira Ivanova had a real shot to beat Witt for the gold medal at both the 85 Europeans and 85 Worlds but both times failed to do a clean long program in order to win the event. Had Kira taken risen to the occasion and won even 1 of those 2 events(although her skating a clean long program would have been a miracle to behold given her history)she would have been placed in the role of the primary rival of Witt the rest of the quadrennial but when she failed to secure 1 of those 2 shots at a big title win and new skaters emerged she was then started to see for what she was-a bland, erratic free skater who had little to offer outside of compulsory figures expertise. Had she put it together in the final free skate and won 1 of those 2 major 85 events though it would have been totally different likely.

Caryn Kadavy had a great opportunity to win the 86 U.S title, IIRC she almost beat Thomas even with Thomas arguably having her best performance ever and Kadavy having 2 major errors in the final free skate. Had she won there she would have had the U.Ss backing as their top lady but did not. She may have had another shot at Worlds where Thomas won with a major Witt error in the short program but Kadavy really did not deliever at those Worlds and dissapointed many after almost winning the U.S title. From that point she was clearly beneath Thomas in the U.S pecking order.

Jill Trenary had her shot at the 87 Worlds. People were high on her after her U.S title win, even if it was over a supbar Thomas and had she delivered, starting with the all important compulsory figures, at Worlds she may well have supplanted Thomas as the #1 American and chief rival to Witt. She pretty much bombed out at Worlds, starting with figures, carrying through to the short, and finally in the free skate however. Despite her U.S title Thomas's stunning free skate and 2nd place finish to Witt, in her world title defence, cemented Thomas's place again as the U.S golden girl and the one with the biggest base of U.S support and hype going into the big Olympic year.

Ito and Manley were held back by being so deficient at the compulsory figures. Alot of times even there 3rds or 4ths in free skating programs could easily have been 1st or 2nds had they been in the final flight after figures. Ito never really got a handle on figures which is why she did not win a major event medal(gold as it was)until the new quadrennial at 89 Worlds. Manley, like Ito, placed outside the top 6-7 in figures repeatedly until 1987. At the 1987 Worlds Manley finally was in striking distance after figures, set herself up to challenge for the gold medal after the short program then bombed out in the long program and ended up 4th. That set her back as well going into the 88 season, not too badly it turned out as she won silver, but had she gone in having finished over Thomas at the 87 Worlds I doubt she places below Thomas in the 88 Olympic short program for example and she probably wins the overall gold in Calgary with the same free skate that won her silver as was.

Leistner went through a slump in 84-85 and lost too much stature with judges to get back to being a chief threat for the gold medal ever again. She also was kind of boring and did not really stand out in anyway from the others however. Kondrashova is the one I am most confused by. I have no idea what it was but she never really seemed to have the judges on her side. I thought she was somebody who should have emerged as a potential Witt rival, she was an extremely elegant and stylish skater. People harped on her inconsistency but she was not nearly as inconsistent as she was potrayed IMO, and in fact much more consistent then the bland and uninspiring Ivanova IMO but even her stronger performances were underappreciated by judges I felt. For the record I honestly think she deserved the bronze over Ivanova at the 84 Olympics as well.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
How 'recent' would you like it?
Katarina Witt comes to my mind.....

I personally think that a lot of the Chinese/Japanese girls are kind of overrated at this point - sort of a fad, perhaps - because they tend to resemble most closely what the Powers That Be in FS love the most: a girl in her late teens/early twenties who doesn't look a day over 13 and almost boyish.

Sure, they jump a lot, but to my eyes they have about as much personality on the ice as a chair......

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
How 'recent' would you like it?
Katarina Witt comes to my mind.....

I personally think that a lot of the Chinese/Japanese girls are kind of overrated at this point - sort of a fad, perhaps - because they tend to resemble most closely what the Powers That Be in FS love the most: a girl in her late teens/early twenties who doesn't look a day over 13 and almost boyish.

Sure, they jump a lot, but to my eyes they have about as much personality on the ice as a chair......

Recent as in since the start of 1980 perhaps?

The teenage Asian girl fad is definitely in vogue now, for better or worse.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As to Debi, engineering major and orthopedist to be that she was, she was the best American at figures. And if you weren't in the top 6 or so in figures, barring major meltdowns by all, you weren't winning worlds. In that day and age, those were the facts. And in the SP, there was only one triple, in combination, with whatever the double of the year was. Debi would do the double with the triple toe afterward, which scored well. Plus she had great speed, stroking and musicality. So she would be in a position to win--which she was at Olympics, and had a meltdown, and was scored accordingly. (And similar skills are why Witt & Ivanova would be in similar positions. You had to get to the final 4 or so to win).

Frankly, Trenary would be on the overscored list for the era for me. She'd be messing up, falling down, and skating to 17 cuts of mismatched music. But she was cute, give you that.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Debi Thomas was not scored accordingly in the long program at the Olympics at all. Only 2 clean triples and technical scores of 5.6s, 5.7s, and a 5.8?!?! What she really deserved was probably 5.2s and 5.3s technicaly for that effort.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I said other - Nancy Kerrigan.

I think that is a good choice, I still remember her regularly picking up medals in 91-92 in every Olympic and World event with 3-4 triple free skates, propped up by her "artistic impression" scores.

People say she was robbed at the 94 Olympics but I thought both Chen and Sato outskated both Biaul and Kerrigan in the final free skate.

Lnt175

Spectator
Definitely Baiul in her amateur days which wasn't long anyway. Interestingly as a pro skater she was rarely overmarked, by the fact that she never (or rarely) beat the likes of Krisit Yamaguchi, Yuka Sato, Denise Biellmann etc. Same could be said for Kerrigan.

Witt is an interesting one because I honestly think the judges were waiting for someone to skate well enough to beat her, so even if she was overmarked (especially in technical marks and figures) very rarely did the others step up to beat her overall. Thomas did once, and Manley with her best LP performance ever in the Olympics. Ito SHOULD have beaten them all but her figures were horrific and she didn't land the triple axel till the late 80s.

nubka

Final Flight
I voted for "other", since for some reason, Michelle Kwan wasn't on the list...

Penny

On the Ice
Debi had great speed and jumps. (The videotapes don't lie.) She could have won Olympics with a clean program.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Debi had great speed and jumps. (The videotapes don't lie.) She could have won Olympics with a clean program.

Her jumps and speed were nothing compard to Ito and Manley at their best, and she really didnt have much else. Thomas=way overrated and overmarked. As for her winning the Olympics with a clean program that is only because Witt made a big mistake in her program-doubling her triple loop, and Manley was too far back going into the free skate. Otherwise Thomas would have had no shot, her shot was not due to her own brilliance, but due to Witt's big mistake and Manley's deficit.

Everytime both Witt and Thomas skated a clean free skate Witt blew her away.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Kimmie. I can see her technical aspects of her skating but her in between stuff and PCS are terrible. I haven't warmed up to her yet. I hope that she gets herself together because maybe it is just her age. I think the judges put her up there. However, saying this I have to admit that time and time again most skaters have their day where the judges give them too many points. But that is the name of the game. It happens in all levels of skating so we just have to live with it.
I voted for Kimmie and agree with what you said.

Dee

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is ironic I included both Slutskaya and Meissner with a little tip-that I didnt believe they were overscored, but believed enough people did they had to be included as voting options. The two of them end up leading the votes so far it turns out.

While confessing to be an impartial Slutskaya supporter, I do believe her form of artistry was misunderstood, her ability to express herself and command the ice overlooked, and believe she was a very complete skater as far as her elements and fundamentals as a skater, even if not the most polished as far as her dance positions, or that complex choreographicaly. Again I admit to being biased though.

I was waiting for a Kwan fan to reply but since they didn't... For the record, Kwan is AMERICAN. A proud "hyphenated" American like SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many others.

Satorare believes the skating world is biased in favor of Americans because of US power and money. Kwan is a prime exhibit in her argument.

axelheart

Match Penalty
Kwan was lucky because

She was born in America.
She was labeled as a tragic heroine through the events surrounding 1994 olympics.
When she was 15, every prominent US skater was gone.
When she was 15, the top of the world was Lulu (a relatively weak skater).
Younger and stronger rivals have retired early (Lipinsky & Sarah Hughes)
The only real rival (Slutskaya) was rather inconsitent.
No one did triple axels at that time.