Who had the better jumping technique? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who had the better jumping technique?

hyoo

Rinkside
I am not quite sure where I saw it.... I'll see if I can find it, but if not, I apologise to the Kwan fans out there....

Fossi

Final Flight
I keep looking for the leg wrap and have found nothing. Hurry, I need to see it becaue I think I"m going insane trying to remember and haven't ever seen her do a leg wrap!

gio

Medalist
Michelle has a better jump technique than Sasha!

Sasha flutzes, no good edges and her jumps are small. I like powerful jumps with good height or good distance! Unproper edges entrance also makes me mad!

In my opinion the best jumpers were Midori Ito (even with leg wrap) and Tonya Harding. Ira Slutskaya is a good jumper too (but she has no flow out of jumps). Russians in general are good jumpers (especially for the Lutz). But they tend to telegraph their jumps. Maria Butyrskaya had abrupt landings, but her edges for flip and lutz were good. Elena Sokolova and Vikka have beautiful Lutzes, but they telegraph their jumps and Lip the Flip.

Particularly I didn't likeTara Lipinski jumps. Michelle was sooooo superior in 1998 Oly. Well, nevermind :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
Tara was amazingly consistent though. There has only been one other that reminds me of Ms. Lipinski in the jumps: Sarah Hughes! :love: Miss Consistency!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What is the optimum for an exit of a Jump? Should it be a firm edge but not to "deep" and in a drastic lean without loosing to much speed. Or is it one that you cloud hear in the "nose bleeds" going Clack and so deep it heavily gouges the ice on a heavy lean???

I realize that Fumie has a little issue with edges and take of, but her landings are a good example to me of what I look for and think the judges do / should too IMO. Someone like Tonya hit the ice so hard with her foot it looked more like a "foot is falling / smashing" rather then being set down. Shasha does have a "flat" issue, but I don't think it is NEARLY as bad or common as people make it out to be. Not all jumps and skating skill in general, I think there is much over exaggeration of how often she is flat - but I agree with the flutz issues. I haven't seen it any other way in regards to that particular jump.

Anyhoo, back to the original Question, What are the criteria of a "great" jump? Regardless of who. I get the feeling there will be disagreement to people's individual "criteria," what one thinks is "correct" opposed to another's idea.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah's jumps may have been consistent, but her technique was horrid. She did that pony kick before her pick jumps, and her flutz was horrendous. At 2003 Worlds, her flutz was so bad that the inside of her boot was practically touching the ice before her takeoff. And she had reverted to badly cheating most of her triples. If 2003 Worlds had been judged under CoP, Sarah would have finished out of the top 10.

Fossi

Final Flight
IMO, if Sasha got credit for all of her 2footed landings, then Sarah would've received credit for some bad technique and actually landed jumps...on one foot and not 2. :love: :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So I don't know if I should ask another Question for I doubt the first one will be adressed, But....The 2 foot only counts as a 2foot landing when both blades touch as to the landing - meaning / asking, if the swing of the non-landing blade touching the Ice on the swing around has a "2 foot categorization" also?

gio

Medalist
Anyhoo, back to the original Question, What are the criteria of a "great" jump? Regardless of who. I get the feeling there will be disagreement to people's individual "criteria," what one thinks is "correct" opposed to another's idea.

You're right SeaniBu. Every person has different criteria when looking the quality of the jumps. As I've already said, I look for edges in take-off and landing. Then I look height or distance. Flow is also important for me. The position in the air is also a factor, but I don't care that much about the leg wrap, if the edges are correct, the height/distance is good and if there is flow.
What I particularly dislike are small jumps.

Sorry for off topic, but speaking of quality criteria = For my criteria a good spin is a centered spin. I prefer simple centered spins, rather than difficult spins but that travel all around.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One thing about COP-while it leaves somewhat open what is 'major' and what is 'minor' about jump criteria, it makes it very clear:

Four phases: preparation, takeoff, rotation/flight, landing

+3 -superior in all phases, difficult entry, great height/distance, strong flow in and out, superior extension on landing

Other Good points:
varied air position
delay in the air

hand or foot down
slight flutzing or lipping
telegraphing
land on wrong edge
land on toe

underrotation 1/4 turn or less
prerotation 1/4 turn or less
moderate flutzing or lipping
2 hands down
two foot landing
step out on landing

fall
severe flutzing or lipping

antmanb

Record Breaker
What is the optimum for an exit of a Jump? Should it be a firm edge but not to "deep" and in a drastic lean without loosing to much speed. Or is it one that you cloud hear in the "nose bleeds" going Clack and so deep it heavily gouges the ice on a heavy lean???

I realize that Fumie has a little issue with edges and take of, but her landings are a good example to me of what I look for and think the judges do / should too IMO. Someone like Tonya hit the ice so hard with her foot it looked more like a "foot is falling / smashing" rather then being set down. Shasha does have a "flat" issue, but I don't think it is NEARLY as bad or common as people make it out to be. Not all jumps and skating skill in general, I think there is much over exaggeration of how often she is flat - but I agree with the flutz issues. I haven't seen it any other way in regards to that particular jump.

I was watching old tapes over Christmas and honestly i don't think there's been a better jumper than Elvis Stojko. I include Evgeni Plushcenko in that comparison. Elvis did the big jumps including the 4/3s and he had a beautiful soft landings on all of them. Lovely soft landing knee and excellent flow out. He could land triple axels and quads which had smooth long flowing edges and no jarring landings at all. Both Pluschenko and Yagudin would often land heavily on the toe and drop their heads and bodies on the landing. Joubert has a similar dipping-head-and-shoulders style on his jumps. None of them can touch elvis on the landings and he was doing the big jumps too.

Ant

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I was watching old tapes over Christmas and honestly i don't think there's been a better jumper than Elvis Stojko. I include Evgeni Plushcenko in that comparison. Elvis did the big jumps including the 4/3s and he had a beautiful soft landings on all of them. Lovely soft landing knee and excellent flow out. He could land triple axels and quads which had smooth long flowing edges and no jarring landings at all. Both Pluschenko and Yagudin would often land heavily on the toe and drop their heads and bodies on the landing. Joubert has a similar dipping-head-and-shoulders style on his jumps. None of them can touch elvis on the landings and he was doing the big jumps too.

Ant
This is one of those comments that makes me upset with MYSELF in not paying more attention to the guys over the years. Elvis was so rock solid as a physical person and what little I have seen of him in review and only recently really paying attention, it is truly amazing how he had that balance of power and grace. I guess I am just trying to say I wish I had payed more attention to the guys over the years. It does lack that one element of :love: :love: :love: when watching guys for me, but the :bow: :bow: :bow: is undeniably awe inspiring.