Will Fummie Suguri go to WORLDS this year? | Golden Skate

Will Fummie Suguri go to WORLDS this year?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
She only placed 4th at her Nationals. Do you think the Japanese Team will send her over Yukari Nakano anyway? If they do, it will be the second year in a row that Yukari placed higher than someone who was sent to the "Biggest Competition Of The Year" instead of her. That must be a sucky feeling.

~Z

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only way Fumie will get to Worlds is if one of the 3 medalists (Yukari, Miki, Mao) can't go due to illness or injury.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The only way Fumie will get to Worlds is if one of the 3 medalists (Yukari, Miki, Mao) can't go due to illness or injury.

Chuck is right--the Japanese fed changed their criteria for Worlds this year. They're following what the US and Canada have done for years, because of what happened last year with Miki Onda. It's amazing, though, that a country has the world silver medalist as its first alternate. They've got a lot of depth, but then again, Nationals is ONE competition. Who knows how the top three will fare at worlds--that's three months away. Anything can, and will happen.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Anything can, and will happen.

Yep, happened with Miki and Yukina, could, could happen with Yukina and Fumie too. Who they think has a better chance is going to define this IMO. And Fumie is still on the list last I heard - prior to results of this GPF - so it is a good Q and we'll see.:yes:

Kasey

Medalist
I believe Fumie is listed as a sub for Worlds only. So if one of the big three drops out from injury (something I'm not wishing), we'll see Fumie at worlds. Otherwise, it's 4CC and I think Asian games or Universidaide.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Suguri is not listed on the official Japanese world team, so no she's not going. I would assume she'd be the first alternate, though, and I hear Miki has some sort of injury so maybe there'll be an opening? (But three months is a while.)

I think at one point I was psyched for worlds but I'm not so sure now. I don't think I've been less excited at the thought of the FS world championship than now.

(Of course that may change when US Nats comes around, and if one of our skaters can deliver a promising performance.)

According to posts by Oscilla :clap: on this thread

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15046

here are the assignments announced by the Japanese Skating Federation.

Worlds

Dance:
Watanabe-Kido

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi
Nobunari Oda

Ladies:
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Yukari Nakano

Asian Games

Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yukari Nakano
Aki Sawada

Men:
Takahiko Kozuka
Kensuke Nakaniwa

Ice Dancing:
Nozomi Watanabe/Akiyuki Kido

4CC

Men:
Yasuharu Nanri
Noriyuki Kanzaki
Kensuke Nakaniwa

Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yoshie Onda
Aki Sawada

Ice Dancing:
Cathy Reed / Chris Reed

Winter Universiade

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi
Nobunari Oda
Noriyuki Kanzaki

Ladies:
Miki Ando
Akiko Suzuki
Yuki Umetani

Ice Dancing:
Minami Sakacho / Tatsuya Sakacho

I think at one point I was psyched for worlds but I'm not so sure now. I don't think I've been less excited at the thought of the FS world championship than now.
How can you say that? For the first time since Kwan/Lipinski we've got two heaviweghts (Kim and Asada) going at it for the title of the future of figure skating! :clap: :clap:

I notice from MM's thread that Nakano and Suguri are scheduled for Asian Games.

While I do not see any change by the Japanese Fed, I'm wondering how they might feel if Suguri wins overwhelmingly to Nakano.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
How can you say that? For the first time since Kwan/Lipinski we've got two heaviweghts (Kim and Asada) going at it for the title of the future of figure skating! :clap: :clap:

So Kim and Asada are already a level altogether above Ando and Meissner(young enough to be the "future" too) in your eyes? I am not saying they dont have the edge now, I do believe Kim and Asada have the edge right, nwo, but I still think the other 2 are still battling with them for that title and this years World title as well.

Kim despite her potential, and being already an excellent skater, actually has by far the lowest PB scores in the free skate of all of them does she not? Mainly since she has not done a fully clean LP with all the difficulty.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Suguri is not listed on the official Japanese world team, so no she's not going.

I have the new now and hope everyone saw that I said "before the GPF" - she is now on under "alternate status." I hope everyone got that and sorry if it caused confusion.

So Kim and Asada are already a level altogether above Ando and Meissner (young enough to be the "future" too) in your eyes? I am not saying they dont have the edge now, I do believe Kim and Asada have the edge right, two, but I still think the other 2 are still battling with them for that title and this years World title as well.

Kim despite her potential, and being already an excellent skater, actually has by far the lowest PB scores in the free skate of all of them does she not? Mainly since she has not done a fully clean LP with all the difficulty.
I can't wait to see how it plays out!

Comparing the four skaters that you mentioned, I think Mao Asada has the potential to outscore all the others going away, because of the triple Axel. According to the Arutunian article, she is working on 3A's out of footwork and 3A combos. Has she ever lost when she hit her opening jumps?

To me, every time she skates, the competoition is in her hands to win or lose.

IMHO Yu-na Kim is the complete package skater already. She has a fairly reliable triple/triple and, to me, far and away the best presentation.

Miki Ando started out great this year and went slowly but steadily down hill. Now she may have a shoulder injury.

Kimmie, I have to put in the "we'll see" category. Yes, she has one all-time best LP score (2006 Worlds), but she hasn't come close to matching it before or since. She has landed some triple Axels in practice, but again, we'll see.

JMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In order to do a decent preview we need to wait until after US Nats, IMO.