Best ladies pewter win at the Olympics | Golden Skate

Best ladies pewter win at the Olympics

What was the best skate by a 4th-ranked lady at the Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krenseby

Final Flight
Out of all the 4th place ladies finishes within the last 5 Olympics, which do you think had the best skated programs?

I ask that you remember the quality of the programs and not merely vote on your favorite skaters

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was so happy about sasha's short program in Salt Lake. If she had kept her nerve in the long, she totally would've been on the podium.

krenseby

Final Flight
Uhhm

Uhhm.. At the risk of hijacking this pewter finish thread and turning into a Sasha thread, I thank you Czarina for reminding me exactly how close to the podium Sasha was at the 2002 Olympics.

People who have used her retirement as an opportunity to question her commitment to skating forget that Sasha was a serious contender during the last two Olympics and started medaling at the US Nationals starting in the 1999-2000 Seasons.

That means that she has been a top competitor in US figure skating for about seven years! That's a very long time and if she wants to retire, I don't blame her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They actually give out "pewter" medals for finishing 4th at the Olympics? :scratch:

(And if they do, do they also do this at Worlds?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
ON topic, I'd have to say Suguri in 06. Maybe under 6.0 she would have won a medal.

I was so happy about sasha's short program in Salt Lake. If she had kept her nerve in the long, she totally would've been on the podium.
I agree. I expected gold which was in reach with 3rd in SP. I think that was the year she was winning GPs. It could have been but.... the pewter LP shocked the skating world.

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wasn't that the following GP? I remember Cohen had one strong GP season and I think it was the 2002-2003 season where she won the GPF.

gio

Medalist
Fumie Suguri!!! She is so underrated by the judges, public, media. It's a pity. She should have won a medal. Second place for Fumie, 4th for Sasha.
Based on how I liked the programs, the ranking at Olympics would have been

GOLD = Shizuka
SILVER = Fumie
BRONZE = Irina
4th place = Sasha

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'd have to go with Fumie, too. The problem I had with Sasha's SLC skate -- and it's a big one -- is that she was so intent on LANDING everything (which, to her credit, she more or less did, IIRC) that she just threw all the choreography and nuance and stuff like that out the window; I really liked the program the way she'd done it all season, but in SLC, IMHO, she was just connecting the dots.

However, I wouldn't exactly call Fumie's Torino skate the highlight of HER career, either. Nonetheless, of the options available, I'd have to go with that one. I can't recall ANY of the rest of them, which must say something right there.

Had this gone back pre-92, I would feel compelled to mention (and apparently I do anyway :biggrin: ) the performances of Denise Biellmann (1980) and Tiffany Chin (1984), both of which would have landed them on the podium had it not been for those dratted figures......

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

However, I wouldn't exactly call Fumie's Torino skate the highlight of HER career, either. Nonetheless, of the options available, I'd have to go with that one. I can't recall ANY of the rest of them, which must say something right there.
With all due respect, none of the top ladies had the skate of their career at the 2006 Olympics. Shizuka had a much more impressive performance at the 2004 Worlds. As for Sasha and Irina, the fact that they were far from their best is evident enough that I won't waste my time making a case for it.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Just on free skating I would say Biellman in 1980 as she would have been that years Olympic Champion over both Fratianne and Poetzsch without figures probably, with Chen in 1984 a bronze or perhaps silver medalist without figures a strong second.

Since 88 though I will go with Suguri in 2006. Cohen in 2002 would be a strong second as she might have won gold without that 1 fall, but I agree with an earlier poster the program turned into something of a connect-the-dots, not up to her usual choregraphic standards. Sato the 5th place finisher at the 94 Olympics gets an honorable mention for me as I cant believe the judges had the nerve to place her only 5th in the free skate for what was probably the best free skate of the whole night, even if her scores had been affected by not skating in the final flight which is understandable with many contenders that year in the womens field she still should have been atleast 3rd in the free skate which would have taken her to 4th overall, anything higher then 3rd in the free skate would have given her a medal.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't need to say, do I?:laugh:

Funny, I thought I had answered this poll under a different title just a couple of days ago?

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

Just on free skating I would say Biellman in 1980 as she would have been that years Olympic Champion over both Fratianne and Poetzsch without figures probably, with Chen in 1984 a bronze or perhaps silver medalist without figures a strong second.

Since 88 though I will go with Suguri in 2006. Cohen in 2002 would be a strong second as she might have won gold without that 1 fall, but I agree with an earlier poster the program turned into something of a connect-the-dots, not up to her usual choregraphic standards. Sato the 5th place finisher at the 94 Olympics gets an honorable mention for me as I cant believe the judges had the nerve to place her only 5th in the free skate for what was probably the best free skate of the whole night, even if her scores had been affected by not skating in the final flight which is understandable with many contenders that year in the womens field she still should have been atleast 3rd in the free skate which would have taken her to 4th overall, anything higher then 3rd in the free skate would have given her a medal.

I didn't start watching figure skating until 1994 but I am absolutely shocked about what seems to have happened to Sato.

If you what you describe is true, then this is truly a tremendous judging scandal!

To deliberately place a skater lower in the FS standings than they have deserved simply because that skater had skated quite a bit worse in the SP is incredibly unfair!

The attitude "Who cares how well she skated, she won't medal anyway, so why not downgrade her marks." is incredibly obnoxious. If I were Sato, I would have complained and raised a stink about it.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I didn't start watching figure skating until 1994 but I am absolutely shocked about what seems to have happened to Sato.

If you what you describe is true, then this is truly a tremendous judging scandal!

To deliberately place a skater lower in the FS standings than they have deserved simply because that skater had skated quite a bit worse in the SP is incredibly unfair!

The attitude "Who cares how well she skated, she won't medal anyway, so why not downgrade her marks." is incredibly obnoxious. If I were Sato, I would have complained and raised a stink about it.

Well to be fair it is only my opinion, although I have talked to many others who feel Sato was robbed in the long program scores at the 94 Olympics and I remember Scott Hamilton saying "these scores would have been so much higher had she not missed that combination in the short program."

Sato did land all 7 of her triples clean, the jumps were triple lutz, triple flip, triple loop-double toe, triple toe, triple loop, double axel-triple sal sequence, triple salchow, double axel. No women in the final flight landed 7 triples, Kerrigan landed a triple toe-triple toe of course but only 5 triples and no triple flip, Biaul landed 5 triples, 2 of them two-footed. The quality of Sato's spins were as good or better then any of Biaul, Kerrigan, or Chen. The quality of her footwork and speed was far and away better then any of those women. Her presentation was strong although lacking the flash of Biaul, and the sophistication of Kerrigan perhaps. I can honestly say it was a slightly better performance then her Worlds winning long program after the Olympics of if you recall how Biaul-Kerrigan-Chen skated their long programs at the 94 Olympics think of something slightly better then her 94 Worlds free skate and compare that to it.

To me it did look exactly like what you said "well she is not skating in the last flight so instead of giving her 5.7s to 5.9s for this excellent performance lets give out 5.5s to 5.7s since she didnt skate well enough to get in the last flight and it is just easier to only worry about the last flight."

Lnt175

Spectator
Cohen in 02 I thought was better than her silver medal performance in Torino. I would vote for her. I also thought Butyrskaya had better performances in Nagano than her medal winning worlds performance the same year.

Slightly OT:

Who placed 4th in Calgary and how did they skate?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Slightly OT:

Who placed 4th in Calgary and how did they skate?

Jill Trenary, and she was just merely OK. Nice to watch, but she doubled most of her triples; she kind of gave the impression she was playing it safe, as she had a tendency to do for most of her career.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Out of those choices, I would say Fumie. If only she had landed a Triple Flip - d.toe instead of a double-double at the end, she might squeak past Irina. Also, Fumie skated very well in 2002, a strong 5th.

In 98, Butyrskaya SP rock but her LP was a medicore. I'd perfer Slutskaya FP, which I personally thought should have been 3rd, but only 3 judges agreed with me..... There were wierd ordinals between Chen, But, and Slutskaya. As I recalled **** got only 5th and 3rd place ordinals, so she was very close to the bronze. Nevertheless she did get hold-up by the judges in the SP, Surya should have been 5th.

Jill Tenary 4th at Calagary? But I think Midori Ito who was 5th had the more impressive free skate.

krenseby

Final Flight
Out of those choices, I would say Fumie. If only she had landed a Triple Flip - d.toe instead of a double-double at the end, she might squeak past Irina. Also, Fumie skated very well in 2002, a strong 5th.

In 98, Butyrskaya SP rock but her LP was a medicore. I'd perfer Slutskaya FP, which I personally thought should have been 3rd, but only 3 judges agreed with me..... There were wierd ordinals between Chen, But, and Slutskaya. As I recalled **** got only 5th and 3rd place ordinals, so she was very close to the bronze. Nevertheless she did get hold-up by the judges in the SP, Surya should have been 5th.

Jill Tenary 4th at Calagary? But I think Midori Ito who was 5th had the more impressive free skate.

Speaking of Fumie, I wonder whether she's going to try to make the Japanese World Team for Worlds 2008. She was pretty close this year.. I think had she not screwed up one of her jumps, she would have made the team... But the Japanese ladies line-up is the strongest in the world. As it is now, the Japanese Nationals is a competition whose difficulty rivals the World Championships themselves.