Down with ESPN | Golden Skate

Down with ESPN

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Was anyone else trying to get the skating on ESPN at 9 central tonight. I don't know if they are not showing it at all or what but it sure is disgusting.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, I noticed they had Cup of Russia listed for 10pm (ET) but when I turned there at 10:30, NFL Primetime was on. Oh well, whatever.

It was even on the ESPN website. I was kind of :scratch:

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
oh lord! Well they had figure skating from 330-730pm Central Time here in Texas on ESPN and it was just Cup of China and Trophee Eric Bompard Cachmeire.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I tuned in at 9pm, too, and there was a line running at the bottom of the screen that said skating was not going to be on, but no explanation why not.

I missed this the first time around and was looking forward to taping. :frown:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The last time that happened here I made some phone call, sent some emails and it has been in congruence with ESPNs sight ever sense. I don't know what happened last night for it was a re-broadcast and I had seen it - wasn't even home yet.

The first people I called was my TV provider asking why the diff between what ESPN says and what you are scheduling. Does ESPN put stuff on there sight and feel it is OK for the local providers to just change it if they want. I didn't get the impression that ESPN would say we are airing this and have someone else just take over the programing ESPN wanted to air at that time. ???

So it wasn't ESPN IMO. It is the programing Dept. of your local provider. They have those on file and will air them after they come to the local provider. ESPN supplies, but it is still up to the station.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I saw skating on yesterday afternoon, which would be yesterday evening for the east coast (Which is what our broadcast is from...)

just a thought...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
My understanding is that skating didn't get great ratings during the afternoon & since the bowl games had ended for the night, football was deemed more important than a skating competition that had already been broadcast.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm in the Mountain Time Zone & I saw Cup of China & EB yesterday afternoon. They said that the Cup of Russia & NHK would be on next week. I only rewatched some of the men skating because I wanted to see Boitano's special (which was the best pro show I've seen this season!).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'm in the Mountain Time Zone & I saw Cup of China & EB yesterday afternoon. They said that the Cup of Russia & NHK would be on next week. I only rewatched some of the men skating because I wanted to see Boitano's special (which was the best pro show I've seen this season!).

:clap: OMG, the first person I know of here in the time zone I am. Cool, I feel less alone. :laugh:

What is EB?

So the NHK is going to get rebroadcast next week? Nice. I didn't see that on Heather's. I am going to look on the DTV guile to verify for me. It also will give me a chance to call if not.

Yah, BBSS ( Brian Boitano's Skating Spectacular) was good. Like I said else ware, there are some new fans of Jamie's at the bar I had them turn it on at.
Elena Leionova and Andrei Khvalko were awesome, and wish the guys at the bar could have seen their first too, some great positions in the lifts. But I flipped over while we were getting ready to go to the bar and my friend was in the B-room. But he didn't change it back.:agree: I did miss all pros from Yuka and Jason :cry: If the show would have lasted longer I think more would have been watched that then Mich (sorry MM) just not pull it off against USC. I was being asked questions about FS as I was leaving the bar as well. I think fan showing support will help.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm in CST and skating was on ESPN from 3:30 to 6:30 but nothing at 9:00.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I saw skating on yesterday afternoon, which would be yesterday evening for the east coast (Which is what our broadcast is from...)

just a thought...

Skating WAS on in the afternoon, and was scheduled for 10pm ET as well. It was the late night skating that didn't get shown.

R.D.

Record Breaker
My understanding is that skating didn't get great ratings during the afternoon & since the bowl games had ended for the night, football was deemed more important than a skating competition that had already been broadcast.

Not surprising, and I agree with that, actually. However, they shouldn't have programmed skating in the timeslot in the first place. It's not necessarily seeing the skating, but the fact that they showed something else rather than what was on the schedule that had me :scratch:

I think the BCS was being shown on Fox and ESPN thought maybe they could get the NFL fans that could care less about college ball (i.e. me :laugh: ) as good counterprogramming?

(I ended up watching the end of that game out of boredom, however, and it was really something...everything that you could think of happened in the closing minutes and in OT)

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Not surprising, and I agree with that, actually. However, they shouldn't have programmed skating in the timeslot in the first place. It's not necessarily seeing the skating, but the fact that they showed something else rather than what was on the schedule that had me :scratch:

I think the BCS was being shown on Fox and ESPN thought maybe they could get the NFL fans that could care less about college ball (i.e. me :laugh: ) as good counterprogramming?

(I ended up watching the end of that game out of boredom, however, and it was really something...everything that you could think of happened in the closing minutes and in OT)

Exactly! Skating was scheduled as an alternative "chick" option during the football games... which is fine if the comps they show have some relevance. However, let's look at the facts - no Americans really threw down, the competitions were old enough not be news worthy & new enough not to be news worthy.

How much cooler would've been (and probably with greater ratings...) to have a highly contested Nationals or Worlds rebroadcast? Or even the entire Grand Prix final?

As for Pro vs. College football?!? No contest! Go Buckeyes!

R.D.

Record Breaker
How much cooler would've been (and probably with greater ratings...) to have a highly contested Nationals or Worlds rebroadcast? Or even the entire Grand Prix final?

Sadly, I don't think it would have made any difference. Still not going to attract that demographic they want so badly.

As for Pro vs. College football?!? No contest! Go Buckeyes!

Nah, NFL football trumps college ball, sorry :laugh: There's just something about college ball (and any ball, too...basketball included) that just drives me away from it. I mean, it has to be a REALLY GOOD GAME in order to get me interested. Kind of like the end of last night's Bowl game.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Skating WAS on in the afternoon, and was scheduled for 10pm ET as well. It was the late night skating that didn't get shown.

ok didn't know... at 6pm my time... hmmmmmmmmm I think we were watching Iron Chef America :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Nah, NFL football trumps college ball, sorry :laugh: There's just something about college ball (and any ball, too...basketball included) that just drives me away from it. I mean, it has to be a REALLY GOOD GAME in order to get me interested. Kind of like the end of last night's Bowl game.

ITA! It was even part of the conversation at the bar last night - again mentioning we were also watching Brian's show:agree: - how Collage ball is kinda a joke when it comes down to deciding a "true winner / champion" team. All these bowl games just overt the two best teams from ever playing each other and finding out who is the true champion. It would be like the AFC and the NFC never playing each other, there would be no real champion that year, just who won their division. Or if there were no "worlds comps" for FS.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what's "Collage" ball? Is it some sort of wacky made for tv thing where they just highlight the best of the year's collEge ball? ;)