US Nationals - What are your thoughts? | Golden Skate

US Nationals - What are your thoughts?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Over the holidays, I watched the rebroadcast of Ice Diaries on the Fitness Channel & it dawned on me that this year's nationals will be the most wide open I can remember...

So much so, I cannot figure out who to root for, what programs promise to catch my attention and outside of Rachel Flatt, who's looking to make a big splash (or splat depending on the skater...) at their first Nationals...

Will Johnny & Evan be phyically & mentally ready to duke it out & if not, who is?

Will Kimmie claim her first national title? Will Bebe? What about Emily? Or will a newbie step up & claim the top prize for herself?

Are B&A unbeatable on the national stage? Is this also true of I&B?

What are your thoughts?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think Kimmie will be the Ladies Champion. She seems to be the best competitor of the bunch, can bounce back from mistakes, has 2 3/3's, 3 axle, 7-8 triples in her arsenal (even if she doesn't land all of that) to give her the technical advantage. Plus, she had a good showing in the LPs of her GP events, and is reigning World Champion.

It would be very interesting to see Katy, Emily, Alissa, Rachel or Christine take advantage of this wide open, no clear cut favorites and nail their programs.

Personally, I would love to see Bebe make the podium!

As for the men, I think Johnny and Evan will go 1-2 unless one has to pull out due to injury. I would love for Evan to win his 1st title!

NNN/TL are my vote for Pairs Champs! I think I/B will win, and I'm hoping NNN/TL will be silver and get to go to Worlds. I don't know about Pairs anyway.

Ice Dance, there are any other teams after B/A??? Just kidding, I don't follow dance, but I can't imagine anyone beating B/A.

flying camel

Medalist
Funny you should mention Ice Diaries. Where I live the fitness channel shows an episode every Friday. I am so excited about Nationals. I hope to see some great performances. I am pretty sure Kimmie will win, but the other spots are up for grabs. I love Emily's short this year, but she just can't freeskate. She has too many jump issues to overcome to win. I love BeBe and Alissa, but they both have jump issues. Eventhough, Alissa overcame her problems last year. I guess it depends on which Alissa shows up. I just don't know if BeBe will ever make the podium. But she can do every triple. She and Alissa don't have any confidence in their ability to land the jumps. We have seen skaters with bad technique, but they still were confident in their ability to land the jumps. I think whoever has a good freeskate will be on the podium, or the people who make the fewer mistakes.

1. Kimmie
2. Flatt - If the first time senior nerves don't break her.
3. Alissa or maybe Khale or someone new most of us don't know. It depends on who is hungry for the opportunity.:clap:

I expect Kimmie to win but would be a lot happier if Bebe or Alyssa came through. I'm not at all excited about Rachel Flatt but I'm interested in some of the other new seniors.

With men, I'm sure hoping that on his own turf (as it were) Johnny will return to form. Hope Evan is well enough to give him a real contest. I'm also looking forward to seeing Braden Overett (dynamite performance in Regionals), Jeremy Abbott (won Finlandia Cup) and Stephen Carriere (haven't seen him or pix but the buzz - as opposed to hype - is enticing).

With ice dancing, yes, there is life beyond B&A. Check out Davis and White! There is a whole thread about them somewhere. I think they could beat B&A if the judges would allow such a revolution.

US pairs are not too interesting, IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Also, can someone show me a video of this Rachel Flat. I keep hearing about her but don't get the hype/buzz.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Type her name in the GS search or YouTube search and you will see her.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
What a "question" :rofl: :rofl:

Was Kwan going to win back in 2004?

Was Cohen going to win in 2006?

Hey, something strange could happen... did you really think that USC was gonna beat Michigan at the Rose Bowl???

Granted, no, I never believed that anyone would beat Kwan or Cohen... :p

waxel

Final Flight
I think Kimmie will win. But I would love to see an unknown really break through. Would also love to see Alissa and Bebe skate well.

I&B will surely win pairs, but NNN&TL are the future of US pairs. (Would love to see an upset.)

Dance- I'm very excited about Davis & White's potential.

For the men, I would like to see a spirited competition, and would love to see someone in addition to Johnny and Evan really challenge for a medal.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Just wanted to repost this comment from an earlier discussion here about Rachael Flatt (re. her video link, which is amateur video shot from the bleachers):
This is Flatt's long program from Liberty [a non-qualifying club competition]... that was back in the middle of July [2006]....her programs were most likely very new at that point and very unpolished. I went to IceNetwork and watched her Sp and Lp from the US midwestern sectionals event. Much improved. Hard to compare Flatt's mid-July performances with those recent performances of other skaters that we have seen on YouTube from the JGPF event. ... she is a consistent jumper, and despite her withdrawal from the JGP series this fall due to the back injury, she seems to be making progress on all fronts with her recovery. Flatt, like all the other skaters, will continue to progress, mature and evolve.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if the rookies/"new faces" grab the opportunity to shine at Nationals.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
LMAO at that sign!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

as for the skater...meh.

RD,

I'm with you on this one... I spent more time trying to figure out if the sign said what I thought it said vs. watching her skate... is it the camera angle or did she have the smallest jumps ever? and what was up with the headless glide? was there a piece of cheoro missing from that spot or was that it?

Nationals just might be painful this year... :frown:

Edit: Ok. Just read Sylvia's post... Feeling better now...

R.D.

Record Breaker
did you really think that USC was gonna beat Michigan at the Rose Bowl???

Remember, I don't follow, nor care about, college ball :cool:

Of course, a more comparable situation would be to ask, was Kwan going to win back in 1997? And we all know what happened that year.

Didn't kwan already win a national title by then though? Kimmie doesn't have one yet IIRC.

But Lipinski was a worthy challenger to Kwan. I don't think Hughes is a worthy challenger to Meissner

RD,

I'm with you on this one... I spent more time trying to figure out if the sign said what I thought it said vs. watching her skate... is it the camera angle or did she have the smallest jumps ever? and what was up with the headless glide? was there a piece of cheoro missing from that spot or was that it?

Nationals just might be painful this year... :frown:

Edit: Ok. Just read Sylvia's post... Feeling better now...

It seemed like she finished that program like 10 seconds ahead of the music, too. ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Remember, I don't follow, nor care about, college ball :cool:

Fine. But did you really think that USC was gonna beat Michigan?!?

Sean - You should be ashamed of your ill gotten gains...

What does the future hold in store for my darling Troy Smith & the Buckeyes? How many upsets am I supposed to deal with??? Next thing you know, Alissa will win Nationals...

R.D.

Record Breaker
But did you really think that USC was gonna beat Michigan?!?

Makes no difference to me (read: I could care less :p )

Alyssa winning would be the UPSET of UPSETS of all UPSETS.

It's like saying Kimmie M. would win 05 nats or Katy Taylor would win in 06.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Fine. But did you really think that USC was gonna beat Michigan?!?
Exsactly what I thought:agree: RD cared enough to comment and pay attention to the question but give no thought???
Sean - You should be ashamed of your ill gotten gains...
:laugh: :laugh: I went with who I thought rather than who I wanted. I used to live across from the Rose Bowl and I know that Mich didn't have it ENOUGH to win there this go. I Bugs those guys too because I am not really a CollEge fan, but I know a good team from a good one that likely wont win. I bought a pitcher and shared it with the Wovies fan I won the cash from. He is also who will go to SOI with me. I did keep thinking of MM though.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Didn't kwan already win a national title by then though? Kimmie doesn't have one yet IIRC.

That's true. They each had/have one world title, so I think it's a comparable point in their careers.

But Lipinski was a worthy challenger to Kwan. I don't think Hughes is a worthy challenger to Meissner

Who said Hughes would necessarily be the one to take advantage, if Meissner should implode?

And no, I'm not predicting that will happen. If I had to put money on the outcome of the event, I would bet on Meissner. But ice is slippery . . .