U.S. Juniors Outperform Senior Counterparts During Grand Prix Season | Golden Skate

U.S. Juniors Outperform Senior Counterparts During Grand Prix Season

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know whether to think it's sad or promising. Maybe a little of both.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They're comparing apples and oranges. After an extremely hectic Olympic season, the Senior skaters were on tour all summer, until mid-August while the Junior skaters were at home working on their programs.

Not only that, but all the top Junior competitors from last season had moved on to the Senior GP circuit, making it easier for the US Junior skaters to shine.

Yes, the US junior team ruled in the JGP, and good for them. But don't hold them up to make the Senior skaters look small.

psycho

On the Ice
Before everyone gangs up on the seniors, let's see how these juniours will fare on the senior circuit in a few years. Then we'll talk.

Can't wait to see the Juniors in Spokane and those who are first timers in Seniors.

The one and only Caroline Zhang!! and spoilers: Ashley Wagner, Melissa Baulanhagui - not sure if Wagner and Bulanhagui aren't skating seniors in which case there is a spoiler already in Rachael Flatt for Seniors,

For the Junior Boys there are (unless they are now seniors) Brandon Mroz, Curran Oi, and Austin Kanallakan. The Seniors, will be Tommy Steenberg (his second experience), the now famous Stephen Carrier and the big challenger Braden Overett.

The Pairs will have McLaughlin and Brubaker, Paestch and Nuss, Moyle and Seitz. While the Seniors will introduce last years World Junior Pairs: Vlassov and Meeksin - looking for a spot on the podium in the absence of H/P.

Junior Dance (hard to believe Americans are getting stronger in this Division) will have Hubbel/Hubbel and Samuelson/Bates unless they're moving on up to Seniors.

Joe

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samuuelson/Bates and the Hubbells are remaining Junior (the Hubbells were 2nd in Novices las year). An interesting point: the Reeds, who are now skating for Japan, won Novices in 2006; they are now skating as Seniors and will represent Japan at 4CC next month.

flying camel

Medalist
Well I for one was very disappointed in the American ladies during the GP. But I don't think you can really compare the juniors with the seniors too much. There is a lot more pressure in the senior events. There are more people watching you. Most junior events aren't televised, so you don't have to worry about people judging you. The expectations can be rough. I think skaters like BEBE, Alissa feel the pressure to skate as well as Michelle, Sasha, Sarah. We in the public are impatient. We are so use to the American girls coming out of know where and being successful. So for me this season was difficult. I' m anxious to see how the juniors compete in the future. We will have to see if they can handle the pressure. Some are competiting in seniors. We will see if they step up to the plate.

As far as Weir and B& A not being ready for the season, well maybe next year they won't do the whole tour. I am sure you can make enough to pay your bills if you cut 2 or 3 weeks out. JMO!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The tour next year is also much shorter, and IIRC ends in JUNE instead of AUGUST. Tour dates are also only on weekends, so it would be a more relaxing atmosphere.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The post-Olympic tour season is the one time the skaters get to make some real money, enough to give them a firm financial basis through the next Olympic cycle. You can't blame them for taking advantage of this opportunity.

It isn't just the US skaters that felt the affects of the tours. Lambiel certainly did, and from reports, while Totmianina/Marinin were skating well on COI, right now they aren't giving such great performances in Russia. Some are saying that's why they are considering returning to eligible skating.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
It isn't just the US skaters that felt the affects of the tours. Lambiel certainly did, and from reports, while Totmianina/Marinin were skating well on COI, right now they aren't giving such great performances in Russia. Some are saying that's why they are considering returning to eligible skating.

I watched TT/MM's exhibition program at 'Red Square', it's just so boring, there's no chemistry, no original moves which they often lack anyway, then you add decreased technical ability. No wonder they are not welcomed and they want to return to amateur to just mechanically repeat those boring elements.

Pet & T are better performers and their lifts are so original and have that 'wow' factor.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

Their logic makes no sense. If they aren't doing so well performing as professionals, why go back to eligible skating to be eaten alive by the Chinese and the Germans?

Of course, a return to competition (I think they kept their eligibility anyway) would mean more training with their coach (is their coach the only coach to have won an OGM himself?)

Back to the original topic--as another poster said, they're comparing apples to oranges. I almost prefer the judging of dance in the junior level, because these teams seem to be judged fairly--whereas senior level dancers tend to be judged on past performances, and their mistakes are overlooked, even now in the NJS.

I do see real hope in all of these skaters, and perhaps one of them will be in the mix in 2010, or 2014 for that matter. It's going to be an exciting four years. I like the fact that no one is dominating outright--but I still hate those ugly positions they get in for the darned NJS!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
A bit premature to say no one is dominating (in the Ladies division)?? The guard has just changed and it will take a couple more years to know for sure. I definitely see one skater who seems to have the edge now. Of course, one not-so-stellar performance but otherwise pretty solid. And another skater waiting in the wings to pounce should skater 1 not compete due to injury. Still, others waiting for an opportunity to upset.