Dream programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dream programs

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sean - I could be reading your post wrong, but you're not putting Yuka and Tat and Max in the 'retired' category are you? ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sean - I could be reading your post wrong, but you're not putting Yuka and Tat and Max in the 'retired' category are you? ;)

Could be taken that way, thanks for the pointer.

I think I do recall someone skating to Toxic, anyone confirm this one? I like the song Stronger the most of Brit S but it doesn't do a thing for skating imagery.

Last edited:
...but to liven it up there are numbers like "So the Gnat Was Chopping Some Firewood," "That Crafty Jesuit," "The Wife of that Toothless Debauchee," "What? Let Us Vote, Boyars," and "Hurrah! Daring Boldness Has Broken Free."
:chorus: I love opera. String together the silliest songs you can think of and make a little story out of them!

dutchherder

Final Flight
I would also love to see my favorite skater (Kurt Browning) skate to a song ("Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses") by my favorite band (U2). :rock: It has lots of dynamic and tempo changes to keep it interesting, plus an ideal spot for a spin sequence: "Turn around, and turn around again..." :laugh:

I'd also like to see Scott Hamilton skate to "Big Sky" by Reverend Horton Heat.

How about Sale/Pelletier to Blondie's "Atomic"? And I know this is bizarre, but what about Belbin and Agosto to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" for an exhibition program?

By the way, SeaniBu, isn't Prince's "Gett Off" a tad racy for prime time? :p

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Eye Of The Hurricane by David Wilcox just came one and Emily is in mind, her face could really sell the song, particularly the sad part at the end. Emily seems like she might be one who could put the face out there that brings a crowd to tears - meant in a intentional manner. She really has an emotional face. I have thought of her for past songs too.

LOL, well....??? I don't know? Not in comparison. Gretchen sung the lyrics "...gonna get me some ______" on Country on Ice. So... I don't know.
But yes the lines of "23 _____ and a one night ______" is a tad racy. I thought more on the simplistic side of the song dynamics. But prime time TV, naw.

Love the "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" but a pairs or dance immediately came to mind. That was a break-up song between my favorite girlfriend. "Saltwater kisses.":cry:

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Well, if we're talking about Prince songs, I'd like to see Alissa Czisny do "Nothing Compares 2 U," but only if it's Sinead O'Connor singing it.

...And speaking of Sinead O'Connor, "Mandika" would be great for a skater with some speed.

If we could bring someone else out of retirement, I'd like to see Bourne/Kraatz do Sarah McLachlan's "Possession". :love:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Hunh, I was surprised to hear a preference of Sinead over Prince - I do agree great rendition.

Speaking of renditions and Sarah, how about Joni Michell's "River" via Sarah's rendition?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
LOL, well....??? I don't know? Not in comparison. Gretchen sung the lyrics "...gonna get me some ______" on Country on Ice. So... I don't know.
But yes the lines of "23 _____ and a one night ______" is a tad racy. I thought more on the simplistic side of the song dynamics. But prime time TV, naw.
I looked up the lyrics....It is funny what I thought the words were to a couple of parts of that song, maybe you're right. A tad racy. I acutely though there was a part that made a reference to putting a Dizzy Gilespy LP on according to the time on the clock. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Wooh I was wrong. Nothing compares 2 U, is much better:agree:

dutchherder

Final Flight
I looked up the lyrics....It is funny what I thought the words were to a couple of parts of that song, maybe you're right. A tad racy. I acutely though there was a part that made a reference to putting a Dizzy Gilespy LP on according to the time on the clock. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Wooh I was wrong. Nothing compares 2 U, is much better:agree:

:rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus: :rofl:

Yeah, I wondered if you'd really thought about the lyrics! I don't think that'll work until they do "Dirrrrty on Ice". :p

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone ever skated to Queen?
Love the song they used in Waynes World.

Didn't Timmy Goebel skate to some Queen music a few seasons back?

The SOI cast skated to a Queen medley circa 1993, and it was definitely a highlight of the show. :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Bohemian Rhapsody is the song by Queen. I believe that is one that has been skated to, the EXTREMELY edited for time version.

In High School 87 we transposed the song for a Choral arrangement. I was not that evolved other then mentioning how cool I thought it would be and the original transcript - cramps for days!. I was mostly told what to do. It was nice - altos had the best parts - but the whole of the chorus was expected to "perfect it on our own time" and we never got it together:cool: at least that our director ever thought was "not even close."

anya_angie

Final Flight
I've just ordered from amazon a 2 CD set of RARE and UNKNOWN Rimsky-Korsakov pieces. The only piece I know on it is the Piano Concerto, everything else is pretty hard to find on Western CDs in my experience. But anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing someone use these unknown pieces.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

SOI did a medley the first year Kristi and Paul were in teh show (if not the first the second... have to watch my tape again)

COI also used 'We Are The Champions' one year...

Bohemian Rhapsody is the song by Queen. I believe that is one that has been skated to, the EXTREMELY edited for time version.

IIRC Ilia has skated to it...

antmanb

Record Breaker
:agree: First thing that came to mind that seemed to make sense musically was Get Off. At this point in time I would say Irina would be wonderful for that tune and its message, but the speed might be a little much right now. But the heart rates would rise. Ira to Girl by Tori Amos:biggrin:

One of my favourite Tori Amos songs is Winter and Kwan made my dreams come true by skating to it!

Sarah M to Toxic by Britney Spears,:p (I know I admit I am a fan of her voice:laugh: ) but I think the pauses and the "head notes" would go great with her hand movements. And that Red and Black Unitard:bow:

It would be nice to see her skating to it but i don't think anyone will beat Marika Humphreys-Baranova's version that she skated at a Gala in Deeside a little while ago. Her expression and choreography were absolutely amazing.

Ant

I was going to say i love Gett Off but i don't think the conservative figure skating people would really appreciate it - i'd have thought most of the second verse is a no no and, depending on which mix a lot of the spoken/rapping part would need some serious editing...!

Ant

Love the song they used in Waynes World.

Sale & Pelletier have been skating to a Freddie Mercury song just recently and it was an absolutely beautiful and moving performance.

Ant

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
One of my favourite Tori Amos songs is Winter and Kwan made my dreams come true by skating to it!
I feel like I have missed so much, I will be looking that up! Thanks

I am rather Lyric oriented when picking Girl for Ira. I think the words fit a lot of skaters though Ira and the indications??? - Also I fit the song to her "Fortune Teller 05" and it fit almost perfectly - just a couple of jumps were off beat and that is all. - btw it was the live version.
It would be nice to see her skating to it but i don't think anyone will beat Marika Humphreys-Baranova's version that she skated at a Gala in Deeside a little while ago. Her expression and choreography were absolutely amazing.

Ant
I missed that too, would love to see it. If anyone could, I think Sarah might have a shot at a tie at least - . But then again I have not seen it. Lucky might be pretty good too. I would be surprised if there hasn't been an attempt at that. EEgad - am I fessing up to liking Britney Spears!:eek:
Sale & Pelletier have been skating to a Freddie Mercury song just recently and it was an absolutely beautiful and moving performance.

Ant
Was that Who Wants to Live Forever? I don't recall to clearly but do remember Fready's remarkable voice during someone's. ???

Most of my watching involves trying to get others involved and watch, so sometimes I am talking to a friend while these are on.

But Marika to Toxic, I just plain missed. That would have dictated no words - minus my friends "murmuring" thoughts.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Was that Who Wants to Live Forever? I don't recall to clearly but do remember Fready's remarkable voice during someone's. ???.

Yes, Jamie and David skated to that song. It was gorgeous and their costumes were perfect for the program as well (understated like G&G's Moonlight Sonata costumes) :rock:

Teenes

On the Ice
Yeah, Jamie and David did "Who Wants To Live Forever", which was excellent.

The Queen medley in SOI was awesome. They used these songs:
"Play The Game"
"We Will Rock You"
"It's A Kind Of Magic"
"Body Language"
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
"I'm Going Slightly Mad"
"Who Wants To Live Forever"
"The Show Must Go On"
"You're My Best Friend"

What I thought really suited was they had Gary Beacom in the US skating to "I'm Going Slightly Mad" (and I think Toller Cranston in Canada), wearing a straitjacket with other skaters skating around shining spots on him (instead of using the arena's lighting). IT was a really neat effect. And in Canada, they had Elvis, Kurt, and Brian skating together to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" which was really fun to see. The whole thing kind of rocked.

It's not a "dream" program per se, but since I heard "Blue and Grey" by SouthFM, I've thought that Kurt could do an excellent job to it. A more dramatic program in the vein of Lightning Crashes, perhaps. It starts off quieter and then builds, and has a great emotional and dynamic range, IMO.

I always wanted someone to skate to "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" by BNL so when Jamie & David did it at Gotta Skate this year I was beside myself with joy. I still want to see Kurt or someone else do "Break Your Heart" by BNL, though, which may be my favorite song by them.

And SOI used "Mad World" (the Gary Jules version) in a long transition/group number during the "Imagination" tour but I'd love to see someone do that. Not sure who...

antmanb

Record Breaker
I feel like I have missed so much, I will be looking that up! Thanks

I am rather Lyric oriented when picking Girl for Ira. I think the words fit a lot of skaters though Ira and the indications??? - Also I fit the song to her "Fortune Teller 05" and it fit almost perfectly - just a couple of jumps were off beat and that is all. - btw it was the live version.
I missed that too, would love to see it. If anyone could, I think Sarah might have a shot at a tie at least - . But then again I have not seen it. Lucky might be pretty good too. I would be surprised if there hasn't been an attempt at that. EEgad - am I fessing up to liking Britney Spears!:eek:

Was that Who Wants to Live Forever? I don't recall to clearly but do remember Fready's remarkable voice during someone's. ???

Most of my watching involves trying to get others involved and watch, so sometimes I am talking to a friend while these are on.

But Marika to Toxic, I just plain missed. That would have dictated no words - minus my friends "murmuring" thoughts.

Yes it is "Whe wants to live forever" on the freddie mercury front. S&P made a beautiful song even more magical!

Re Marika - it was a local club exhibition so i don't think there is any footage of it and was a one time only thing.

Ant