Mao Asada headlines Japan team at worlds | Golden Skate

Mao Asada headlines Japan team at worlds

And YuNa will win if nerves don't get her,

Miki Ando will win if nerves don't get her,

Kimmie Meissner will win if nerves don't get her,.

Joannie Rochette will win if nerves don't get her.

Sara Meier will win if nerves don't get her.

And Julia Sebestyan will be winning if there is a total meldown of the above.

Well, now you know my gold prediction.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

Joe
:rofl: That is good Joe - but the "verdict is still out" whether or not Kimmie has nerves or not. ???

:rofl: That is good Joe - but the "verdict is still out" whether or not Kimmie has nerves or not. ???
Whether you call it nerves, pressure, or even stage fright, since every sport has players who get jittery, the bottom line is to complete the thought and say:

Mao can not handle the nerves, or Mao will have no problem with nerves. If you say something like that you are contributing to the forum and the reader will understand where you are coming from. Otherwise it's just another wishy washy opinion with a buzz word.

Apparently a jury (I'm not a member) is awaiting a verdict on Kimmie as to whether she can handle pressure where there is no evidence that she can not handle pressure. If you could just give some examples on why you are puzzled about Kimmie having nerves, it would hellp me understand what you are driving at.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker

I agree, it's too soon to tell. She hasn't been the favorite before, but we'll find out after this year's Nats and Worlds.

That's playing it safe. You're not a betting man, RD.

I don't consider myself one, but remember, my view is NOT to make predictions unless they are clear-cut (i.e. US Nationals). My view is really that anything can happen and anyone near the top can win given the necessary conditions.

US Nats, on the other hand- I can't see how anyone can see Kimmie not winning.

I agree, it's too soon to tell. She hasn't been the favorite before, but we'll find out after this year's Nats and Worlds.
And I think if she skates at Nats with nerves of steel, you will then say that the nerves will get to her in Worlds, and you will continue saying this all thru 2008.

Your two buzz words for skaters you perceive as possible winners and you do not what that to happen are HYPE and PRESSURE.

What is it about Kimmie, and no ther skater, that gets you to use the pressure words without adding on that the pressure will ruin her skate. Stand up for your conviction and say the pressure will cause her to lose the Nats. Now that's a true opinion. Not only this wishy-washy buzz word.

RD - Also remember that many a winner has said the nerves gave me extra energy.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
And I think if she skates at Nats with nerves of steel, you will then say that the nerves will get to her in Worlds, and you will continue saying this all thru 2008.

I don't know if Kimmie has the type of nerves that would let her down in a "pressure" situation...like I said it's too soon to tell. And yes, being nervous can be a good thing or bad thing depending on the skater. In Miki Ando's case for example I think it's a bad thing (i.e. will cause her to make mistakes and therefore lose).

Your two buzz words for skaters you perceive as possible winners and you do not what that to happen are HYPE and PRESSURE.

Nah, it's simply "she's going to win". How many times have I said "Kimmie will win [2007] Nats?" When "predicting" I think the two words you mentioned play as big a factor as previous scores and performances.

But I think I already mentioned that outside of Nationals, I really don't do predictions. You're right, I stick more with the generalities when it comes to the big international events. But I stay away from making definite predictions because my thoughts and opinions change over the course of the season.

Well, I'm not afraid. Mao will win worlds. Now people are saying that the reason she doesn't do a triple Salchow is not that it is a difficult jump for her, but rather because she is working on a quad Sal for worlds. Plus, Arutunian says she's working on a triple Axel combination and a triple Axel out of footwork.

So Mao will do 4S, 3A, and 3A+3T. Right there, that will be enough points to win (the men's division!) :)

But seriously, about Kimmie Meissner and "nerves of steel," for some reason she does have a reputation for being unflapable no matter what the circumstances. I don't know why people think this about her more so than other skaters, but it is an opinion frequently voiced by fans.

Good reply, RD -

Kimmie does have the nerves of steel and I don't have to wait and see. It's not a question of winning, it's a question of skating her best. She came back at Skate America with her best. I liked that. As for winning, so did Miki. I liked that too. Mao lost it with the LP. So everyone has their 'off' moments which can not be factored into predictions.

So, for me it's Kimmie, and 3 other Ladies in the remaining places: Emily, Alyssa, Rachael. I can not pick these places. My present indicators do not work for that competition. They will be better for Worlds. :cool:

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's funny because I see it the other way around. I see the Nats podium the same way you do but I'd replace Rachel with Katy Taylor. I haven't seen Rachel to know whether she's consistent or not, but Katy Taylor got off to a rough start and I somehow believe, one way or another that it will come together for her here.

but for Worlds I just have no clue at all.

Well, I'm not afraid. Mao will win worlds.

Hey that's playing it safe. She's the favorite :p

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Look either way it's going to come down between

Mao Asada, Kimmie Meissner and Yu-Na Kim

More likely, these women are going to make up the podium, with a possiblity that Miki Ando could be the spoiler. It just comes to down to who can put two programs together

I haven't seen Rachel to know whether she's consistent or not,
Try the youtube for Rachael Flatt. It's kind of scratchy now probably due to excessive use but it will give you an idea of this lady's potential. Ignore the fall. It's irrelevant when breaking in new boots in a 'c' competition.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hmm, I did see someone's (homemade?) video of Rachel at some club competition (or come to think of it, it may have been Regionals) and I wasn't that impressed. If she works hard she definitely has potential but at least from what I saw, nothing special at all.

A more accurate statement probably would have been to say I hadn't seen ENOUGH of Rachel to know whether she's consistent or not. Sorry for the confusion.

scorekeeper

On the Ice

Joe

I'm trying to envision a World's podium with Sebestyén on the top step. Well, why not? With Roxana Luca winning the silver and Jenna McCorkell taking the bronze.

satorare

Match Penalty
In home, Mao is pretty consistent with 3A. No fall in at least eight competitions for more than 2 years. Even if she fails that jump, she will save at least 190 points. Same things can be said for 3/3 and 3/2/2. So one mistake will not be crucial for the final result.

I expect Meissner on the podium, because the Americans always have "push" at the Worlds.

Ando and Kim will compete for the third spot. Ando is more advantageous because she has home cheers on her back.

Last edited: