Will Carolina Kostner grab the gold medal at Euros? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Carolina Kostner grab the gold medal at Euros?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think if "ipeople;) " were nicer to begin with they wouldn't have to go around "tooting their own horn."

ITA- but if this were vegas, then I guess iloveaxel would've won a big pot of cash.

He/she may have been right about Caro--but I wonder if his/her prediction that Mira will crack the top ten at worlds will come close to being true.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
ITA- but if this were vegas, then I guess iloveaxel would've won a big pot of cash.

He/she may have been right about Caro--but I wonder if his/her prediction that Mira will crack the top ten at worlds will come close to being true.

hehe, glad you're not too hard on me.:clap: :clap:

If mira can't crack top 10, i may need to hide.:rofl: I predict she'll finish probably in 7th to 8th place. One or two second tier contenders will likely bomb.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
iloveaxel's knowledge is good and always worth the time to read when regarding the factors of FS.:agree: Some are harder to read "between the lines" then others, but knowledge :agree:

Let us know who you did on the prediction contest iloveaxel:)

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
iloveaxel's knowledge is good and always worth the time to read when regarding the factors of FS.:agree: Some are harder to read "between the lines" then others, but knowledge :agree:

Let us know who you did on the prediction contest iloveaxel:)

I only did once, but found it's quite boring so i give up. BTW, as a huge fumie fan, do u know she's going to compete at both winter asian games and 4cc. CCTV5 will carry both events extensively.

Here's another prediction from me. Today's ladies' free skate will be quite lackluster since the short program just went too well. The odds of two back-to-back successes are not good.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I predicted Caro Kostner would win gold on Jan 11, 2006, and YES, she nailed it with a program with world-class difficulty, flow and speed.

I now predict she will certainly medal at worlds in Tokyo. Caro has THE most difficult combo jump in the world - 3lutz+3toe+2loop. Her speed into jumps slows down quite a bit which makes her jumps much more consistent.

I always laugh the idea how consistent Sarah is. She IS NOT that consistent. Has she ever skated a long program with more than 5 triples this entire season?

I don't think anyone would argue with you that Caroline is a very talented skater. She has consistency issues, but she has so much potential. If she is indeed learning to get control of her speed, hopefully her consistency will come.

I do think Sarah belongs in the elite group simply on the fact her non-jumping elements are strong. She may not consistently land 6-7 triples, but she doesn't implode and fall all over the place. Same with Caro-she's got consistency issues, but has her strengths that keep her in the mix. Same as Rochette.

However, I do believe right now only Mao, Yu-Na, Miki and Kimmie are shoe-ins for the top 6. Their PB are all in the 190s (Mao and Miki) and 180's. Caroline's PB is 174.11 and sounds like she was around that at Euros. Sarah and Joannie are around there, lower 170's, with Alissa, Yukari, Susanna and Emily in the 160's.

gio

Medalist
However, I do believe right now only Mao, Yu-Na, Miki and Kimmie are shoe-ins for the top 6. Their PB are all in the 190s (Mao and Miki) and 180's. Caroline's PB is 174.11 and sounds like she was around that at Euros. Sarah and Joannie are around there, lower 170's, with Alissa, Yukari, Susanna and Emily in the 160's.

Caro had a new PB at Euros, that is 174.79. But with a clean 3Lutz that she doubled in the SP and the 3Loop that she singled in the LP she'll be around 180 points. Of course she has to skate clean to take 180 and more.

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Isn't Alissa's PB 177? Emily's is 180?

I don't think so, because they have 5 triples in the LP and 2 triples in the SP.
I think the best skate of Alyssa was at Skate Canada 05, where she received 168.32 points.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Caro had a new PB at Euros, that is 174.79. But with a clean 3Lutz that she doubled in the SP and the 3Loop that she singled in the LP she'll be around 180 points. Of course she has to skate clean to take 180 and more.

Sure, and had Sarah/Joannie been clean, their PB total score would be higher as well. It's no use to do the whole "If she landed this or that..." game because the same could be applied to the other skaters as well. What is good to know is that the top ladies appear to be aiming for that score range, so if they are clean, and if the top ones falter, they will be in very good shape.

gio

Medalist
Sure, and had Sarah/Joannie been clean, their PB total score would be higher as well. It's no use to do the whole "If she landed this or that..." game because the same could be applied to the other skaters as well. What is good to know is that the top ladies appear to be aiming for that score range, so if they are clean, and if the top ones falter, they will be in very good shape.

For now Sarah Meier and Joannie don't have a triple/triple, so even if they skate clean they can't reach 180 points. And they also don't have all level 4 elements.
I say for now. Maybe in the future they will improve.
You need a triple/triple and level4 elements to reach 180 points and a 3axel to reach 190 points.
If Mao Asada lands two 3axels and a triple/triple and skates clean, she has already won, no matter if the other skaters skate clean or not.

kajsa

Rinkside
For now Sarah Meier and Joannie don't have a triple/triple, so even if they skate clean they can't reach 180 points. And they also don't have all level 4 elements.
You need a triple/triple and level4 elements to reach 180 points and a 3axel to reach 190 points.
If Mao Asada lands two 3axels and a triple/triple and skates clean, she has already won, no matter if the other skaters skate clean or not.

Well, All the Kostner's elements are not at the level 4 for either. For example, at Euros (SP) her layback spin was only at the level 1.

gio

Medalist
Well, All the Kostner's elements are not at the level 4 for either. For example, at Euros (SP) her layback spin was only at the level 1.

Did I say that Carolina's elements are all level 4??? Where did I say that??? I was just saying that with a 3Lutz in the SP and a 3Loop in the LP, maybe she'll have 180points. For the levels 4 I was talking about Sarah and Joannie.

Last edited:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
She has level4 on sparrows, on flying camel, 3 I think on the combo spin and flying sit and steps...which all together gives us a great score :love:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight

So what if she doesn't do it for level2? There are skaters that win medals on the big competitions without jumping loop, and Caro has everything I believe. So what if her layback is only level1? She had back problems and not every skater is meant to be good layback spiner. Look from the other hand, levels 3 and 4 on all other elements.:clap:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I now predict she will certainly medal at worlds in Tokyo. Caro has THE most difficult combo jump in the world - 3lutz+3toe+2loop. Her speed into jumps slows down quite a bit which makes her jumps much more consistent.

I believe the combination she has landed in practice is the 3Flip/3toe/3loop.

I don't think she ever does a combination off the lutz at least not a 3/3.

I've not heard about her doing the 3/3/3 since her injuries over the summer.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker

Meier has all level 4s in her LP except for one - the straighline step sequence which is level 3. I don't think she needs to up the ante any more for the spins or footwork. Who ahas ever received level 4 for straightline steps? (Gag me now if it's Plushenko!)

Ant

MKFSfan

Medalist

Even without 7 triples, Sarah's base value is very close to Carolina's when compared to what she's done in competitions this year (if you give them the benefit that everything is clean, both appear to be planning for a base value of over 60 points for the LP, Carolina ahead by less than a point, 61.23 Vs 60.34). Before Euros, where she must have had problems with a couple of spins, Sarah had gotten all level 4s on spins (except layback-2, and I think got a level 3 on another spin at one competition) and spirals, and level 3 on FW.

At Skate Canada and TEB, Joannie has consistently scored a couple level 3s and level 4s on spins and spirals, and level 3 on FW, and her base for her LP was over 60 points as well (63.62 at SC). She does attempt 7 triples in her LP, doing a 2axle/3toe sequence.

I'm not knocking Carolina down at all, because I really do like her. I just disagree there is a huge difference between Carolina and Sarah/Joannie. The 3 are not the most consistent, but have strengths to keep them in the mix. Whoever is landing their jumps at that particular competition will do better.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ok, come on now. Has Zhang had THAT much influence on posters that now folks confuse her with CarolinA Kostner?? :rofl: :rofl: :chorus: