John Baldwin 's ordeal in Russia after GP Final | Golden Skate

John Baldwin 's ordeal in Russia after GP Final

pipsqueak

Rinkside
happened before in russia

THis isn't the first time American skaters have been accosted at this event. A couple of years ago Johnnie Stiegler and Trifun Zivanovic were assaulted in a cab and dropped off far from their hotel. Perhaps we should find /develop an alternative competition for this part of the competition year. I don't blame him for not reporting it in Russia and getting out of the country immediately and into US medical care...or there could have been even more hardship involved for him and thus the pair team.

Yuunnaa<3

Rinkside
I heard that he went to the nightclub and got mugged by another skater over on FSUniverse. That really is creepy.

WOW. Have the Russian authorities taking any action on this or will it be swept under the rug?

I think a one time assault on a skater is an assault on all skaters and one is enough.

I don't find the humor in it.

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Thank God that he's safe. I do worry about him skating, especially pair skating, with vertigo. I suffered a concussion and had episodes of vertigo for quite some time afterward. You can be fine and suddenly move you head wrong and then the world goes crazy. You can sit perfectly still and watch the room whirl for several minutes. What if that happens during a lift? I don't think focusing is going to help much when it can come out of the blue. Let's hope they stay safe.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although I feel very sad for Baldiwin that he had this very unfortunate experience, I also think that it could have been avoided by elementary precaution. Why would anyone with some sense follow a stranger from rest room to a cab? Surely somebody he knew would have collected him from the restroom if the party was going to some other night club.

During night one needs to be careful not just in Russia, but in lots of countries. As I somewhat followed the thread on FSUniverse, it seems that mugging (of a skater) has also happened e.g. in Canada and USA.

I can totally understand that Baldwin left Russia without filing a complaint. It is difficult to deal with matters in a foreign language, and it takes time.

Last edited:
My tourist guide for St. Petersburg advised our group to be very careful because the city has a lot of pick pocket thugs. No sooner did we hear this then one of our group had his brand new expensive digital camera stolen which was taken right out of his overcoat pocket.

We had no problem in Moscow.

Joe

Johar

Medalist
My friend was telling me about a black pre teen attacked by a neo nazi in St. Petersburg. Very scary.

Yuunnaa<3

Rinkside
Wow. I'm glad Canada isn't that dangerous or I'd be hiding in my house from 5 everyday from now on!:rofl:

Kasey

Medalist
There are dangerous people world-wide. And generally speaking, I think the ratio of them goes up along with population, thus there is generally more crime in larger cities. It's only smart to be aware at all times, whether you are in New York city or Knob Noster, Missouri (pop. 2040 when I was stationed there).

Most crimes in big cities are between family members and friends. You figure. The crimes against strangers and tourists are not so prevelent in NYC.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Most crimes in big cities are between family members and friends. You figure. The crimes against strangers and tourists are not so prevelent in NYC.

Joe

I've heard many friends talk about how safe they felt being tourists in New York which goes against the impression i had of New York around 10 or 15 years ago when many people i knew were scared to include New York in there travel plans for the US because of the crime.

Ant

dutchherder

Final Flight
I was just in New York this summer with two of my girlfriends and we felt incredibly safe! Actually, we felt safer there than we did in Norwalk, CT where we stayed with a friend for a few days...

I :love: NY!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have always heard good things about tourism in NY. Surprising and not so at the same time. And have heard many horror stories regarding Russia. Mainly Mafia and Prostitution, but the fact that there is a lot of crime indicated by people I have known that have been is omnipresent.

One of the few countries I have been to I would have to say that I felt more comfortable in then in my own back yard was Japan. Anywhere at anytime.

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
I also remember reading about a pretty widespread heroin problem in Russia several years ago. I assume that is a problem that hasn't totally gone away and that contributes to the crime rate.