US Nats - Preview Article | Golden Skate

US Nats - Preview Article

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ten short months ago in Calgary, U.S. skating dominated the World Championships with four medals, fourth place or better in every discipline, and top eleven finishes for nine of the 10 entrants. The story is very different, however, as Americans compete at the National Championships from January 21-27 in Spokane, Washington.

MORE

Is it necessary to use Cohen as a metaphor for Kimmie messing up? Kimmie messed up a bit, no need to revive the custom of smearing Sasha. For better and worse, she doesn't skate like Sasha in terms of either jumps or presentation.

And the description of Emily's season seems unduly kind. On the whole you seem too hard on Kimmie and too easy on Emily. Kimmie's skates could have won against different fields. Nonetheless, the warning that she might not make the World's top five is at least possible. Not because of her technical weakness but the field's strength. Ironically if she *did* "skate like Cohen" as far as PCs go, it could save her when a jump fails her.

Other than this discussion I liked the article. You are hard on Johnny but you're telling the truth of this season.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it necessary to use Cohen as a metaphor for Kimmie messing up? Kimmie messed up a bit, no need to revive the custom of smearing Sasha. For better and worse, she doesn't skate like Sasha in terms of either jumps or presentation.

And the description of Emily's season seems unduly kind. On the whole you seem too hard on Kimmie and too easy on Emily. Kimmie's skates could have won against different fields. Nonetheless, the warning that she might not make the World's top five is at least possible. Not because of her technical weakness but the field's strength. Ironically if she *did* "skate like Cohen" as far as PCs go, it could save her when a jump fails her.

Other than this discussion I liked the article. You are hard on Johnny but you're telling the truth of this season.

You're entitled :) People have different perceptions at what they read compared to what may have been written. Nevertheless, I adore all the afore mentioned skaters - despite what readers may perceive :).

Feedback is good and appreciated.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's some additional feedback... :)

"Scott Smith, fourth at Cup of China, is considered the favorite provided he can land his triple axels and make a creditable attempt at the quadruple salchow."
From Smith's official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/scottsmith/askscott7.html
Answered on January 6, 2007

1. Are you planning on attempting the quad at the U.S. Championships in Spokane?
I will not be attempting a quad at Nationals because at Cup of China I didn't attempt one and I ended up doing very well. My goal for this Nationals is to skate two clean programs with more transitions and expression.
Wonder if he'll at least practice the quad sal in Spokane?

"Rachael Flatt of Colorado was forced to withdraw from the Junior Grand Prix with a back injury, but dazzled audiences at summer club competitions with rare seven-triple performances."

I believe Flatt attempted 7 triples at only one club competition in late August (reportedly landing 6 there; she landed 5 triples at Liberty in mid-July and fell out of the final 3lutz in her FS). Flatt attempted and landed all 6 of her planned triples at Midwestern Sectionals, and we'll have to wait and see if she adds a 3-3 to her programs in Spokane.

I think the summary of US Nats is well written. Of course, there will be comments on the contents.

In Ladies, I see Kimmie as 99 per cent the gold medalist. Only an illness will prevent this. As to the rest of the podium, I don't see easy predictions except for picking favorites. The two podium places vacated by Kwan and Cohen are up for grabs.

Emily the most likely for a silver medal must do the two programs without incident. If Alyssa and Bebe skate faultlessly, Emily will have her work cut out for her. She has been doing well due to the flubs of other skaters, imo.

Alyssa, Bebe and Katy must skate like they've never skated before. If all 4 of them skate their best we will leave it to the judges to decide and hopefully they have not been influenced by the USFS.

There are also some excellent skaters from Sectionals: Firth, Oster, and Flatt.
I really think Flatt would be the most likely to get on the podium if the 'old' times have problems. Should be a great contest with no clear foreseeable podium.

Aaahh The Men We have a rivalry here, and that always makes for an interesting contest. I can only say I am leaning toward Weir, but that could be because I've always like his skating since I first saw him in US Nats.
No doubt about Evan. If he uses and lands the quad, it could upset the reigning champ. Both have very different styles so it becomes suggestive.

I enjoy Bradley but not for competition. One place is vacant for the Worlds and there are sevral Sectional winners who might fill that if Scott Smith does not step up to the plate. I see Carriere as the technical powerhouse and Steenberg as the musical powerhouse. There is a very much improved Pennington and Overett can astound one.
With the proverbial 'if they all skate their best' I think this will be a good show.

Moving on to Pairs, I think Rena and John (hope he's alright) should win this over Naomi and Themi although I enjoy watching Na/Th moreso. We don't get a third spot for the Worlds but I think it will be Vise/Trent because of their experience. However, I'm anxious to see last year's Jr. Champs: Vlassov/Meekins.

Skate Dance will for the first time give us something besides B/A and G/P, not that they're bad but they seem to me to be the same every year. The big contest here is whether Davis/White can take on and win over Matthews/Zavozin. There are other teams I am looking forward to seeing.

Joe

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Melissa and Denis look very different - much improved - this year over years past...

just my extremely biased opinion ;)

Mysticchic

Rinkside
I think your thinking of Hyatt and not Oster. Oster had a bye due to her assignment at the JGPF where she won the bronze medal. Hyatt won the silver at Mids.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Thanks for mentioning Amanda & Mark in that article! I hope they have a great competition in Spokane!!! :clap:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone seems to forget that Kimmie had a rough time in the GP last season, too. She either blew the SP or the FS in each of her GP events, finishing 5th in both. Yet the Kimmie who skated at Torino was much improved since the early fall, and the Kimmie at Worlds had worked out all the early kinks and showed her best skating.

Kimmie is not an early-season skater, and it seems ridiculous to me to predict her finishing out of the top 5 at Worlds based on the GP. GP performance certainly was not predictive of Kimmie's end season results last year, so why should it be this year? Kimmie did medal in both her GP events, which is more than can be said for Joannie Rochette or Emily Hughes.

I also think there are men who can surprise, and I am especially thinking of Jeremy Abbott. He is a far more exciting skater than the plodding Scott Smith, and a more consistent skater than Ryan Bradley.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The GP is never a good thing to base predictions on. I'd figure many people would know by now. At least in the ladies, the 2nd half of the season almost NEVER goes the way that the 1st half does!

Kimmie didn't lose in the GP. She won two medals. Julia Sebestyen won in the GP. Do we conclude that Julia has a better chance in the Worlds than Kimmie"?

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I really don't get how anyone uses the Grand Prix as a predictor for worlds. These athletes train to peak in time for Nationals and Worlds. It seems that only the Japanese skaters and Irina train hard to skate well on the GP circuit. The Japanese fed uses the GP to pick its slots for worlds so I can understand why they Japanese skaters go all out. Though it seems skaters who do well in the GP lose a lot of steam for worlds.

I think Kimmie will be just fine for Worlds and will probably defend her title.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yes, as several have pointed out, Kimmie did poorly last year in the GP series, yet went on to win the World Championships. It is way too soon to count her out of the medal mix at Worlds this year. I feel she will do well there.

The author of this article is pretty harsh toward all the American champions.