Lambiel Has Withdrawn from EC's | Golden Skate

Lambiel Has Withdrawn from EC's

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I just read a translation of a news article on FSU that Stephane Lambiel has withdrawn from the European Championships, and while he will continue training, he has not committed to Worlds or future competition:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1217293&postcount=9

Also, from Ximena on FSU, a link to an English article from Yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070117/sp_wl_afp/fskateeurpolsui_070117154030

From the article:

"The fire that was in me in recent years is just not there anymore, it's taken me some time to understand that but today I have accepted it," added the seven-time Swiss national champion.

I was so looking forward to seeing how he would develop his programs from Skate Canada, but if he's not feeling it, I'm glad he has the option to make this decision.

There is also a post about this on The Edge. He's down in the dumps, probably the chronic knee problems are chronicking. I'll miss him this year and hope he gets it back for 2008.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I hate to say it but between the grand acheivements he has already done: Olympic silver medal, two time world champion, and European medalists, his history of injuries, and judgining by that quote his current state of mind, not to mention his desire to return to his university studys after he is finished skating,.....Taking in all of these factors I have drawn the following conclusion.

IT SOUNDS LIKE THE LITTLE PRINCE IS GOING TO RETIRE FROM COMPETITIVE SKATING.

Jasper

Final Flight
That's a very depressing quote from Stephane. :( The knee problems have taken their toll. And probably other factors as well, including the fact that he has already achieved so much and might want to move on. But it's a shame because I wanted to see him go for Gold (and a better FS at the Olympics than Torino) in 2010 Vancouver. And he was such anice alternative to the Japanese and Joubert who are dominating the sport right now.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
awwwww its so sad that Lambiel had to withdraw from the Euros! I wanted him to be there and to possibly win his first title.

I mean he has two world titles, but he has never won a European title, which is crazy. I guess he has finished second at Euros once because Plushenko was there, if Plushenko hadn't of been there then he would've won but idk, he's also kinda considering retirement and I hope that he doesnt retire! he's an awesome skater not to mention he is powerful.