Anyone know where to get a tape of Torvill & Dean/Yo Yo | Golden Skate

Anyone know where to get a tape of Torvill & Dean/Yo Yo

I

icer

Anyone know where to get a tape of Torvill & Dean/Yo Yo

I just read the interview with Christopher Dean and remembered how much I LOVED the piece they did in collaboration with Yo Yo Ma. I also remember a tv show that followed the creative process of Chris, Jane, and Yo Yo working on the choreography and musical expression together- really fascinating.... does anyone else remember that? Does anyone know where to get a copy? Thanks.

D

Dee4707

Re: Anyone know where to get a tape of Torvill & Dean/Yo

Have you tried the tape trading section of this board? Also, do you know the name of the program?

Dee

I

icer

Thanks

Thanks! I never noticed that and just posted the same question there. This seems like a better place to see if anyone else remembers, though.

The music was a solo cello piece, probably by Bach (Yo Yo Ma did a whole series of pieces working with different artists). Jane Torvill wore a beautiful long dark red dress. I think they performed it with Stars on Ice (many years ago).

Anyone remember anything else that might help me find it?

D

Dee4707

Re: Thanks

I have a tape of Torville & Dean, I will check and see if it is on there. I kind of remember something about it because if I am not mistaken, T&D did the rountine on the floor while recording the music. I will check my tape and see if I have it.

Dee

S

skatingfan5

Yo Yo Ma: Six Gestures

Five or six years ago, this was part of a 6-part series broadcast on PBS :eek: called "Yo Yo Ma: Inspired by Bach" in which the cellist worked with artists in a variety of media to create unique works inspired by Bach's cello suites. The Torvill & Dean program was called "Six Gestures" and you can order it (for $150!!!) here:
www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/six.html
Even with the 10% discount, that is an outrageous price! :eek:

Just found another site with this tape -- also with part 5 of the series (working with Kabuki master Tamasaburo Bando) for only $13.95.
www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink...296IE.html

I also discovered a set of all six programs (on 6 tapes) for $41.00 and there are used tapes as well, ranging in price from about $10/tape. I may have to order the tapes for myself -- I missed the Torvill and Dance episode both times it was broadcast locally, though I caught at least two of the other episodes.

I

icer

Thanks

As I am thinking more about this I am remembering more.

The tape that's part of "Inspired by Bach" is nice, but a very, very stylized performance for film- that's not the one I'm looking for. I haven't seen it in a long time, but remember it does not include tape of their collaboration with Yo Yo Ma- it is very neat to see the music in effect talk back to the skaters... by the way, in terms of watching an artist/choreographer at work, the best of the "Inspired by Bach" series is the one called "Falling Down Stairs" with modern dance choreographyer Mark Morris.

However, inspired by you guys and what is available on the internet, I'm maybe getting closer. It looks like this piece was probably being performed in 1998- the Inspired by Bach piece is called Six Gestures, but in about that period T & D were also doing a piece called Sarabande (another title in the Inspired by Bach video series)- that MIGHT be the one I'm looking for.

It may be that what I'm thinking of just ran on TV and was never available for purchase.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if I find this elusive thing.

T

tdnuva

Re: Thanks

Trying to solve the confusion a bit.

Yo-Yo Ma did this project with six parts to the six suites for unaccompanied cello by Johann Sebastian Bach. He asked very different artists for every part and did the sixth part (to the sixth suite) with Torvill & Dean.

This part was aired by different tv stations (that's where some people taped their private videos) and published officially. Therefore there was a tape with only the sixth part, but at most resources it's not deliverable any more. The three DVDs include each two parts, so the interesting one is the last with part 5 and 6.

As a suite is by definition music with different parts, this 6th suite also has different parts, in this case 6 parts: Prelude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte, Gigue. The complete suite was only performed by T&D for the recording of the tape/dvd. But they used the 4th part of it - the Sarabande - once for the World team challenge in 1996 (wonderful performance) and then during the Stars on ice tour 1996/1997 and Canadian stars on ice 1997.

For the recording and the pro competition they used the same costumes: Chris with dark trousers and a white old-fashioned shirt and Jayne with a dress (upper part black satin or something like that and a very special skirt part). For Stars on ice they got those dark red costumes.

I have no idea if there is any recording available of their performance with Stars on ice. But the World team challenge was aired (as I said, nice performance only the commentators tend to get on my nerves as they couldn't stop talking during the routine) and of course there's the tapes/dvds of the whole suite #6 - called "Six gestures" as T&D choreographed a special movement for each of the six dances as main theme.

Hope this helps...