Medalist
Worlds:

Men: Buttle, Mabee, Sandhu
Ladies: Rochette, Leung
Pairs: Dube/Davison, Marcoux/Buntin, Langlois/Hay
Dance: Dubreuil/Lauzon, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje

Four Continents:

Men: Buttle, Mabee, Sandhu
Ladies: Rochette, Hawker, Phaneuf (Mira Leung chose not to go)
Pairs: Dube/Davison, Marcoux/Buntin, Langlois/Hay
Dance: Dubreuil/Lauzon, Virtue/Moir, Senft/Gislason (Weaver/Poje declined)

Jr. Worlds (tougest decision) :

Men: Chan, Reynolds, Russell
Ladies: Samson
Pairs: MacCuish/Evans, Velenosi/Fernandez
Dance: Weaver/Poje, Crone/Poirier, Lenko/Islam

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
Thank you Rosaleen for letting us know, but especially for all of your hard work you've done for us this week. Now go and take a well deserved couple of days of sleep. :)

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Nice to see Canada's best back at Four Continents

YEA for Cynthia Phaneuf. At least she will get to Four Continents

Very busy for Weaver/Poje going to Jr.Worlds and Worlds. Can't wait.

Four Continents looks to be huge this year

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I am SO glad I'm going to 4CC this year! What a great team for Canada!! :clap:

rain

Record Breaker
Excellent that most of the top skaters are going to Four Continents this year, as not only will it be great for the event, but it really is in the best interests of the skaters. L/H had to pull out of their second GP event due to her skates being lost. D/D just back from injury. Ditto Buttle. Sandhu needs all the help he can get. Mabee should also get out there before worlds as a Canadian medal winner. M/B need some confidence back before worlds. W/P I'm guessing declined because of junior worlds. I also imagine they want to work hard on the added minute to their program that they need at seniors.

I'm surprised Leung chose not to go. She seems to like competition Don't know what the strategy is there.

Glad to see Samson at least gets to go to junior worlds. I thought she was a bit shafted in the ladies event. One of the ladies with the most potential in Canada IMO. Too bad for Ten in the junior mens. To win your event but not get to go because the other guys did seniors. I know it was about the jumps and the fact he didn't have an axel or quad like the others, but still, tough break.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I'm surprised Leung chose not to go. She seems to like competition Don't know what the strategy is there.

I don't think it's a surprise. There's no point for Mira to go. She has nerves of steel and really does not 4cc to build her confidence. Her long program has been scored a number of times at international events. If she skates clean(she actually has never skated clean at international events), the long program will likely get 105 points in my opinion.

So she may find it's more important for her to focus on training and addressing weakeness. She can do a lot of stuff in two or even one months! Look at what she's done since 'Skate Canada', a new sp, different spirals and other details.

Julie79

Rinkside
I feel sorry for Wakamatsu and Fectau; they skated so well, but their season ends now.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it's a surprise. There's no point for Mira to go. She has nerves of steel and really does not 4cc to build her confidence. Her long program has been scored a number of times at international events. If she skates clean(she actually has never skated clean at international events), the long program will likely get 105 points in my opinion.

So she may find it's more important for her to focus on training and addressing weakeness. She can do a lot of stuff in two or even one months! Look at what she's done since 'Skate Canada', a new sp, different spirals and other details.

Mira isn't going because she very likely has no chance of medaling.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Mira isn't going because she very likely has no chance of medaling.

I usually respect your opinions except on Mira Leung. I have zero interest in speculating whether she'll be medalling or not since she will not go!!

What really interests me is to see the impending explosion of Cynthia at international stage. We'll see whether her inflated PCS will hold up with a 3toe and 3sal. That's thrilling!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suspect Cynthia will place in the top 10 at 4CC, a respectable showing for her at this stage in her comeback.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I suspect Cynthia will place in the top 10 at 4CC, a respectable showing for her at this stage in her comeback.

It's not about ranking, it's about her scores. Her free skate score of 98 points was a complete joke. She did better in Q round by landing the 3lutz(a touch down), but only scored 92 points, then suddently she jumped to 98 by falling on that lutz.

4cc is not a big thing. Besides U.S., Canada and Japan, there are not too many real competitors, top 10 is not some sort of big achievement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not about ranking, it's about her scores. Her free skate score of 98 points was a complete joke. She did better in Q round by landing the 3lutz(a touch down), but only scored 92 points, then suddently she jumped to 98 by falling on that lutz.

4cc is not a big thing. Besides U.S., Canada and Japan, there are not too many real competitors, top 10 is not some sort of big achievement.

Her FS score jumped because the FS has more spins and footwork, elements that Phaneuf does extremely well.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I was pleased with Phaneuf's comeback, she made the National team so should get some GP assignments next year since the CSA is very high on her. I hope next year is able to do the more difficult triples again. She definitely has more potential on the international stage then Leung does, I still feel that way, of course whether she ever achieves that potential or not is uncertain, but the potential is still higher I believe. I am definitely pulling for her to get back to doing a full arsenal of triples again and regaining her spot on the World team.

Picking for Junior Worlds for men must have been hard but had to be done.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
The big question is will any of the U.S. Ladies medalists go to 4CC's as they have not in god knows how long:) If not Joannie Rochette will have noe problem winning although she will have to face off against Fumie Suguri (still makes me mad about her getting the axe for the world team :mad: )

artsciboy

On the Ice
Her FS score jumped because the FS has more spins and footwork, elements that Phaneuf does extremely well.

iloveaxel was comparing the score she received for her freeskate in the qualifying round (92) v. her actual free skate (98) - same program, same planned elements. In qualifying, she actually landed a 3lutz (albeit with a handown), yet scored lower in her final FS, despite having had more content. I too agree that some of her PCS are a bit inflated...

scs

Rinkside
I am surprised (and disappointed) that MIra is not going. True, she can stay home and work on what she needs to. But I would have thought that the opportunity to perform in front of judges against a field that may strong (if the top US and Japanese skaters show) would be helpful in preparing for worlds. However, I'm not disappointed to see Cynthia going.

deathdrop4

Spectator
mira's a hard worker, but she has no style. im quite glad she's not going. but what about those junior skaters eh?

nadster

Final Flight
Skate Canada has a few things in mind when choosing the 4CC team. For the most part they chose the best skaters but they wanted to make sure certain areas were covered.

1. Get some international experience with the programs for those who had been injured all year to prepare for worlds. ( Buttle, Dube/Davison)

2. Get some skaters not going to worlds a much needed opportunity to get ISU ranking points so that they can be guaranteed 2 GPs next year ( Phaneuf )

3. Give those who had a rough Canadians a chance to have a good performance and gain much needed confidence before worlds ( Rochette, Marcoux/Buntin)

We know that Mira already has nerves of steel and she would probably gain little from this competition. All the skaters chosen have more to gain than Mira. Mira really needs to hone her technique and hopefully continue to improve her presentation.

Sackie

Medalist
I feel sorry for Shawn - he gets nothing even though he did not have a bad Canadians compared to his showings in the GP events and finished in 4th place. I think he should be going to 4CC instead of Emanuel. Emanuel needs to save his good programs for worlds. Let's face it he will not have good programs at both (if either) so what's the point of sending him.

Julie79

Rinkside
I feel sorry for Shawn - he gets nothing even though he did not have a bad Canadians compared to his showings in the GP events and finished in 4th place. I think he should be going to 4CC instead of Emanuel. Emanuel needs to save his good programs for worlds. Let's face it he will not have good programs at both (if either) so what's the point of sending him.

You're right. He skated just as well this year as he did last year, but walks away with no medal or second trip to Worlds. Hopefully, he can continue to improve, and knock out Emanuel next year.