Rena&John v. Naomi&Themi | Golden Skate

Rena&John v. Naomi&Themi

Wow! what a competition for the upcoming gold.

With less than 1 point behind the leaders, N&L still had the audience behind them. I think it's worth a discussion, in general, about the 6.0 system and the CoP.

The CoP clearly had I&B the winner which under the 6.0 it might have been different. So I propose that those interested in scoring go to the protocols when available and see why N&L were edged out. Sort of like Who had the better Throws, Lifts, SBSs, etc. and Was it the PCS?

I think it would an interesting exercise to compair teams or singles who face up to a judgement of less than 1 point.

Jr. Dance, the same with S&E v. H&H. And I think there will be more close calls this season.

(BTW - the NY Times has a big article on the closeness of the Sr Pairs scores and the crowds reactions.)

Joe

I think the title of the article says it exactly right. Pleasing the audience is not the same as pleasing the judges. That is not a criticism of either the audience or the judges. They are looking for different things.

A little bit OT, but there was an interesting comment by Peter Oppeguard in the latest Spotlight of Skating about pairs skaters (ladies) who switch from singles to pairs. He said that singles skaters move their middle sections a lot when they skate. A lady pairs skater has to keep her body more straight and still. Oppeguard says that he has had to work a lot with Naomi on this.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am pulling for Themi and Naomi. However the short program is their strength. So my prediction is that John and Rena will win even if they make mistakes. I think the judges will hold them up.

gsrossano

Final Flight
I think the title of the article says it exactly right. Pleasing the audience is not the same as pleasing the judges. That is not a criticism of either the audience or the judges. They are looking for different things.

But I am with the audience on this one. To me N&L were the clear winners. Also, the marking of the program components for all the skaters left a great deal to be desired.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have a feeling even with the old 6.0 system, I/B would still be in first place. How many examples have there been over the years of established skaters giving minor flawed programs being held up over sureperior programs by newer or younger skaters.

I/B will have to have more than one major mistake to not win on Saturday. My hope is all the skaters skate well and the judging is fair and accurate. Well, I can dream...:cool:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
will NNN/T

Will they try some very risky elements? 3flip, 3toe+3toe+SEQ. Their throw triple loop is also far from consistency.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
Its going to be quite a matchup here, but I think that its going to be Inoe and Baldwin but Naomi and Themi will definately medal.

Its been quite a while since Naomi Nari Nam as the 14 year old baby ballerina won the US Silver medal, maybe this time she'll get that feeling back, only with Themi by her side? We'll see, we'll see.

But I am with the audience on this one. To me N&L were the clear winners. Also, the marking of the program components for all the skaters left a great deal to be desired.
At least it shows that the audience is not so buffaloed by the New Judging System that they are afraid to boo.

Under the ordinal system most spectators felt that the marks were just the judges' opinions and, hey, I've got an opinion, too! Nice to see they feel the same way even in the face of an onslaught of numbers.