Poor Music Choices | Golden Skate

Poor Music Choices

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
You know y'all have some that you can recall!

Marina Kielmann (1993 FS) - Mexican Hat Dance/La Cucaracha :rofl:
Tonya Harding (1992 FS) - A friend of mine said the music sounded like music you'd hear on an X-rated movie
ANY Skater (any year) - Tosca...too depressing! I feel like I need to see a counselor after watching ANY Tosca performance
Maria Butyrskaya (2002 FS) - I don't remember the title, but it was so dissonant...

gio

Medalist
Tosca IMO is one of the BEST music to choose. I still remember the beautiful program of Michelle Kwan.

For the worst... I have to think a little bit. There are some warhorses that I don't like, but I can't say that are a poor musical choice, because they are masterpieces. For example I don't like some parts of the Nutcracker and of the Swan Lake. But I think that these two warhorses are the best choices for a skating program. Great music.

Last edited:

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
I think it depends on what fits the skater. The music Alban Preaubert uses is great for him but I don't see anyone else pulling it off. I can't imagine Brian Joubert skating to "The Swan" or Johnny Weir skating some samba music. Those would have been very bad choices.

rain

Record Breaker
Bad music choices skaters have made:

Dubreuil/Lauzon - that awful, dreary heartbeat thing from 3-4 years ago. Terrible - it was practically a sleep aide.

Joannie Rochette: Madonna elevator "Like a Prayer" for her SP

Fumie Suguri: her music choice this season for her LP is really annoying - at least hearing it live is. Munchkin chanting - ugh.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All from skaters I love, by the way. May add more as I think of them.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Diana Poth (1999 LP) - Black Velvet by Alannah Myles (instrumental of course)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Fumie Suguri: her music choice this season for her LP is really annoying - at least hearing it live is. Munchkin chanting - ugh.

I kinda liked it:cry: :laugh:

OK, not mentioning names, but even is Dick Button doesn't realize it, a skater who uses music to a VERY popular commercial, in the country they a competing in for that National title is not a good choice. I was waiting for a orange box to come flying onto the ice and hit her in the head. Ooh hoo, oo oo hoo??? And she uses Vontage too! Why? I don't care who liked it, it is a very popular commercial for crying out loud!

Fabulous skate though, I enjoyed all but 2 things about it.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure that's the soundtrack to the Kevin Costner version of Robin Hood.

It is...in the opening. Then right after the first minute (or the triple axel attempt), the saxophone comes in...

dutchherder

Final Flight
If I never see anyone skate to "You Raise Me Up" again, I'll be okay.

I also don't like Denkova and Staviski's (sp?) "Seven Deadly Sins". The spoken-word part sounds like it should be in a video game like Bejeweled or Tekken 3. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Saxophone in Kamen's Robin Hood? Nah... I don't think the sax part is Robin Hood, just not Kamen's style.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Saxophone in Kamen's Robin Hood? Nah... I don't think the sax part is Robin Hood, just not Kamen's style.

No--she did the 80's style cuts with the different pieces/tempos. The opening is Robinhood...the second and third pieces sound like they came out of...movies that we do not mention here.

dutchherder

Final Flight
Ah, I didn't listen long enough...you're right! :laugh: The lonely housewife invites the pizza delivery guy in about half way through the program. :rofl: :rofl: What strange two pieces to splice together!

scorekeeper

On the Ice
The music to Winkler and Lohse's "Energy" program. To say nothing of the costumes, hair, and makeup that went with it.

Unless, of course, you liked their jolly polka music even less.

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
While they are my favourite team, A&P's music for their 2002 FD was a snore. I also didn't like the spoken bits from Martin Luther King Jr. I know it was a tribute, but it still seemed hokey.

I agree about D&S and the seven deadly sins. That voice creeps me out.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Bolero-Michelle Kwan. This piece of music hindered Michelle's sense of freedom on the ice coupled with trying to make the program COP friendly, just did not work, imo. It is my least favorite program skated by the Kween.

suzygirl

Spectator
I kinda liked it:cry: :laugh:

OK, not mentioning names, but even is Dick Button doesn't realize it, a skater who uses music to a VERY popular commercial, in the country they a competing in for that National title is not a good choice. I was waiting for a orange box to come flying onto the ice and hit her in the head. Ooh hoo, oo oo hoo??? And she uses Vontage too! Why? I don't care who liked it, it is a very popular commercial for crying out loud!

Fabulous skate though, I enjoyed all but 2 things about it.

If you are referring to the skate that started with the pan flute music, that and the
"woo, woo, woo woo woo" section are from the Kill Bill Vol. 1 movie soundtrack. I believe the "woo woo" song was done by a Japanese girl group. The Vonage usage is post-Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Most of the music used by skaters, in my opinion, has been around the rink SO
many times, it's hard not associate all kind of things with them.