The Quad Club - Who Are Members? | Golden Skate

The Quad Club - Who Are Members?

Of course there is Plush, Lambiel and Joubert. There is also Takahashi, van der Perren, Sandhu, and now Lysacek.

Are there others that I left out? (criteria: must have landed a quad in a major competition - not at practice.)

Can we expect consistent quad landings in Tokyo?

How many and who will execute successful quad combos in Tokyo?

Can a non member of the Club win in Tokyo?

Joe

Kati

On the Ice
Lutai and Preaubert landed 4toes at the Europeans.
Must be some Chinese skaters, too, but can't remember the names roght now.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I know that Chinese skater chanjiang Li landed two diffrent quads in a program a few years ago.. not sure if he is still doing them. I think that Evan will try the quad in Tokyo if he feels that he has a chance of meadling/winning and johnny probably the same. Joubert will deffinetly try at least one. Takahaski will probably try one as well as Sandu.. athough he proably will either pop it or fall.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm including non-ratified attempts, or attempts that were fully rotated (hey, the COP includes those nowadays!)

80s
Sabovcik
Boitano
Browning

90s
Bonaly
Harding
Stojko
Urmanov
Yagudin
Eldredge
Kostin
Kulik
Guo
Goebel
Weiss

00s
Cohen
Weir
Lysacek
Ando
Li
Takahashi
Oda
Buttle
Sandhu

Kasey

Medalist
Dobrin, Griazev and Klimkin should be added for the Russian guys.

(For actually landing ratified quads, not "attempts" or practice quads)

Antilles

Medalist
Even though Kurt's had a turnout, it was still ratified as the first official quad. That always confused me. Apparently Sabovcik did a beauty that was never ratified but should have been.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IIRC, Joe two footed his... where as all Kurt did was have a three turn afterwards

Now that we've straightened out the Members of the Quad Club, can I get some responses about the rest of the topic?

Who will attempt the Quad(s) in Tokyo?

Who will attempt the Quad Combos in Tokyo?

Does it have to do with the Order of Skate or will someone be brave enought to attempt all the quads he has?

Joe

skater 17

Rinkside
Brian Joubert

I can't believe everyone forgot about Brian Joubert of France. I believe he will do the quad in combo. If he does maybe some of the other men will try one. If he is not rewarded I'm afraid other will not take the risk. If we look at the last few years everyone has played it safe. Let's face it, if it was that easy they all would be doing it. The marks must reflect the risk and reward the skaters. I believe the new judging system is better but that second mark is still a major factor. If you have technical errors you can not receive the huge program component marks. It is just like the old system, a program with errors cannot recieve 5.9 or 6.0 for presentation. It is just easier now to reward skater and more difficult for the general public to understand, the performace execution just isn't there when there are mistakes.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think Lysacek will do the quad from this day forward. And very likely he'll do a quad combo. He did a quad combo last year at the Worlds but two footed if I am not mistaken. Weir will do the quad in LP, unless he doesn't want to compete with Lysacek.

Joubert will do at least two quads, one in combo. Takahashi will do a quad in the LP. Buttle and Oda may not do it. I don't know if Buttle has ever done a quad in a competition besides 2006 Olympics? Sandhu will have two footed quad. He usually does.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
I can't believe everyone forgot about Brian Joubert of France.

Joubert was listed in the very first post. I think most of the next four or five posts were filling in other names of skaters who had done ratified quads who were not mentioned in the first post.

skater 17

Rinkside
Yes, I see that I missed that he is in the first posting. He came to mind right away just because I think he has one of the best quads. Maybe not the best in other areas but technically speaking in the jumps.

Teenes

On the Ice
Ya, Kurt had the first ratified quad at the 1988 World Championships in Budapest, despite the 3-turn he had to do at the end... whereas Josef Sabovcik's quad prior to that many thought should have been counted as the first, since his 2-foot landing was very slight.

But I think when Tonichelle said Kurt hit the quad in the 90's as well, she meant in 1998 - Kurt landed a quad on the anniversary of the first quad at a Stars on Ice show, and then went on to do it a few more times that year - it's on tape at the Canadian Stars on Ice show in Toronto, and he tried it at the 1998 Ultimate Four, though it wasn't a clean landing (I think he had a hand down?).

I've been told Brian Orser had a quad as well in the 80's, but he never used it...landed it in practice at the 1987 Worlds, I believe? But we're talking about people who landed them in competition, not those who landed them in practice, right?

MKFSfan

Medalist
But we're talking about people who landed them in competition, not those who landed them in practice, right?

If that is the case, Sasha should not be on this list. I don't think Sasha even came close to landing one in competition-I recall her popping a couple of attempts, did she ever rotate 4 times in the air? I would say for ladies, Miki, Tonya and Surya were the biggest threats to land one, but only Miki had hers ratified. I always thought Surya's was so very close.

As for men and Worlds 2007-I hope Evan and Johnny both include theirs, and Takahashi. If Lambiel is there, I exepct him to go for it, and I really hope Brian does the 3 he did at his GP event! When you figure in Li, Sandhu and Buttle...could this be a Worlds were the top flight all have quads???