Straight Line Steps | Golden Skate

Straight Line Steps

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As another poster mentioned, i really miss seeing serpintine step sequences, especilly with softer music. they really flowed better. Anyway, am i the only one to notice that most skaters are doing thier step sequences early in the program rather than last thing. It began with Mao Asada last season, and now everyone is doing it. Usually the step sequnece was the next to last thing in a skaters program, as the music builds and then they finsh with a spin. Wach any of michelle kwan's performnaces for a perfect example of this. Does this have somthing to do with the bonuses for jumps after the half way mark. uaully skater would jump in the beging and then do a lot of spins, the spirals and step sequence later. Now are things being reversed?

As for jump bonuses for points, in some cases (e.g.,Miki Ando at SA) ruined a perfectly lovely routine at the end of her program with cluttered up jumps and spins, imo. However she garnered points with these moves. So it's all about points for the win.

Straightline footwork should go wherever the skater/choreograher thinks it fits in the music.

Serpentine footwork is difficult and one rarely sees it. I cannot think of anyone actually doing this in the past several years. I wonder if anyone did execute serpentine footwork, it would get a level 3. The energy needed alone should get a level 5 depending on the intracasy of the choreography.

Joe

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
the last time i saw a serpentine footwork, was in jenni kirk's chicago short program. i just loved it =)

skater 17

Rinkside
I feel we have lost some special qualities in skating due to the new judging system, ex: jumps at the end of program for more points,catch foot,spins or spiral. Some times the quality skating have been lost due to trying to earn more points. When was the last time we seen a classic layback ex: Sasha layback before the new system. This spin would be only be a level one even though the quality was amazing. She would have gotten extra points on GOE but it would still not have added up to the base value of a level 3. Hopefully a skater will try Serpentine footwork and be rewarded, I feel it is by far more challanging but would it be rewarded?

antmanb

Record Breaker
As for jump bonuses for points, in some cases (e.g.,Miki Ando at SA) ruined a perfectly lovely routine at the end of her program with cluttered up jumps and spins, imo. However she garnered points with these moves. So it's all about points for the win.

Straightline footwork should go wherever the skater/choreograher thinks it fits in the music.

Serpentine footwork is difficult and one rarely sees it. I cannot think of anyone actually doing this in the past several years. I wonder if anyone did execute serpentine footwork, it would get a level 3. The energy needed alone should get a level 5 depending on the intracasy of the choreography.

Joe

Not that anyone will ever see the program but Thomas Paulsen from the UK included a serpentine step sequence in one of his programs this season.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
the last time i saw a serpentine footwork, was in jenni kirk's chicago short program. i just loved it =)

I am fairly certain I have seen a few since then, but maybe I am wrong???? Didn't Ira continue hers later the same year for her LP? - Fortune teller?

But Ira didn't do the cute little wrist flick / hop. Didn't Dick call that the "Billion Dollar Baby" programme?:laugh:

Ah yes, come to "Fantasy SeaniBu land," never a disappointing skate.:agree: :laugh: