The Ladies 3A Club | Golden Skate

The Ladies 3A Club

Thanks to Seanibu we have a similar topic of listing special people.

Same criteria: Which lady has successfully landed a ratified 3A. Forget the practices.

(I think it is a smaller club than the gentlemen's quad club)

I'll start off with Tonya Harding and add Mao Asada.

Joe

Yukari Nakano. She landed one in the Asian Figure Skating Championships 2005 with a GOE+

She also landed one in Skate Canada in 2005, and in the 2002 Japanese Nationals.

Don't forget Midori Ito :D

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Who was the Russian skater that landed a clean 3A at a grand prix event around the 2004 / 2005 season? It might've been at the Skate Canada where Yukari landed hers, but I could be mistaken... and whatever happened to this skater?

PAskate

On the Ice
Who was the Russian skater that landed a clean 3A at a grand prix event around the 2004 / 2005 season? It might've been at the Skate Canada where Yukari landed hers, but I could be mistaken... and whatever happened to this skater?

Nedelina I believe?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Has Meissner landed a clean competition 3A?

Ant

"Clean," - Relativity thing again. Ratified / counted in score? Yes.

Someone might need to back me on this, I lost some credibility (as well I should) for my Caroline / Miria 3a comment. But I personally posses the vid on this.

Last edited:

megsy

Rinkside
AFAIK, the only time Meissner has landed a 3A in competition was 05 Nationals. She's fallen or doubled the others.

Both Ludmila Nelidina and Yukari Nakano hit triple Axels at Skate America 2002 in Spokane. They were the first ladies 3A's in a decade. (Nelidina finished fifth in the competition, Nakano seventh).

PS. Here's a nice article on Nelidina from the Golden Skate archives (the best source of figure skating information on the 'Net! :rock: )

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2002/112402.shtml

Trivia factoid: She is the tallest woman ever to do a triple Axel, and the only European.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I thought that the only time she had stood up on the triple axel was at 2005 Nationals. That was the last judged under 6.0 too wasnt it? Many say it was a half turn short on the landing - a very good attempt but not "landed".

Surya has landed a quad salchow that was half a turn short on the landing and tat wasn't ratified.

Ant

kappa_1

On the Ice
Nelidina and Nakano landed 3As at 2002 skate America (or was it 2003 skate america?). I think it was 2002. Too bad Nelidina quit the sport, what with the dearth in Russian Ladies' skating at the moment

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Didn't they ratify Yoshie's at Bofrost in the same year? (2002)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I thought that the only time she had stood up on the triple axel was at 2005 Nationals. That was the last judged under 6.0 too wasnt it? Many say it was a half turn short on the landing - a very good attempt but not "landed".

Surya has landed a quad salchow that was half a turn short on the landing and tat wasn't ratified.

Ant

I was really happy for kimmie for landing that jump in 2005. but come on. it was major cheated. i land double axels like that and my coach dosen't bat an eye. just try again.

Will we see any 3As from the Ladies in Tokyo this Worlds?
I think Mao will be the only lady who will attempt one. I think she has a pretty good chance of landing it; she has landed several in competition already this year.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmm depends on who skates first, IMHO... I think both will be playing it by ear (think Evan and Johnny and the quad at nationals)

floskate

On the Ice
hmmmmm depends on who skates first, IMHO... I think both will be playing it by ear (think Evan and Johnny and the quad at nationals)

There's no way Mao would even THINK about not doing it. She's had it in her program, land or splat since 2002!!!! If Kimmie goes first she'd have to go or it. If Kimmie goes after Mao she could have a choice depending on how Mao skates. But what Mao has in her favour is a competitive record of landing it and psycologically that has to be an advantage. Kimmie landed it once - cheated - over 2 years ago.