Tugba Karademir | Golden Skate

Tugba Karademir

gio

Medalist
In your opinion can Tugba learn also the triple lutz, flip and loop. Or is she to old? IMO, if she starts to land also those jumps, she can become competitive at Euros.

Arianne

On the Ice
Reading an article about Tugba lately, she says that she wants to be world champion! If she is going to do that, she will need to land those all of those jumps! I wish here all the best! I bet she is working on them, but still is looking for the consistency that she needs to put them into her programs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Reading an article about Tugba lately, she says that she wants to be world champion!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

good for her though, it's cool to think big :biggrin: she'll have to take small steps to the top IMO though.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Getting past the jumps, I think the main thing she needs to do is SPEED IT UP. Her programs are wonderful, but she is quite SLOW. Once she works THAT out, then she should think about the jumps. It is harder to get them once you get older, but not impossible. (It's certainly a better deal then having them at 14 and losing them by 17.)

gio

Medalist
She was born in 1985. In March she'll be 22 years old.

At this year Euros she tried the triple flip. I think it wasn't underrotated, but she stepped out of it.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
does she

does she have enough training time?

I read an article a couple of days ago describing China's Pang & Tong training 8 hours preparing for the asian winter games. It says they do two ice sessions and two dry-land session A DAY! I don't know whether the number is simply exaggeration or misunderstanding by the reporters though.

Tugba's ISU bio suggests she only trains about 10-15 hours a week. That's not merely enough for an elite skater.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I read an article a couple of days ago describing China's Pang & Tong training 8 hours preparing for the asian winter games. It says they do two ice sessions and two dry-land session A DAY! I don't know whether the number is simply exaggeration or misunderstanding by the reporters though.

Tugba's ISU bio suggests she only trains about 10-15 hours a week. That's not merely enough for an elite skater.

THe chinese are still under the communist rule, so thier training is totally diffrent than ours. What we call hard core training is just the begining for them. Read The Second Mark by a wonderful author Joy Goodwin for an inside look at how the chinese pairs really dedicate thier lives to training.

Anyway, no ten hours a week is only 2 hours five days a week. Okay for juvinille level, not for a world champ with a lot of work to do.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She was born in 1985. In March she'll be 22 years old.

At this year Euros she tried the triple flip. I think it wasn't underrotated, but she stepped out of it.

being someone who was born January of 85, 22 is NOT old... good grief...

even as a skater I don't think it's too late... if she has the drive and desire then more power to her.

lotusland

On the Ice

Tugba trains all year long at the Mariposa in Barrie. Typically she, and the other freeskate elite (and non-elite skaters), skate 2 sessions a day, one 60 minute and one 45 minute, Monday through Friday. There is no ice on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays (Christmas, Easter, Victoria Day etc.), and there is reduced ice time whenever there is a hockey tournment. If Elite skaters would like to do a third session, they are welcome to "skate down" on a lower skill level session. Some skaters do, some don't ... some only "skate down" when they are getting ready for competition or getting new choreography put together. In addition to her on-ice training, Tugba also goes to one of the local gyms in Barrie. Her ISU bio is accurate.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tugba has made remarkable progress in the last 3 years.

2004 - 23rd Europeans (just made the FS); 35th Worlds (DNQ).

2005 - 19th Europeans, 106.96; 27th Worlds (FNR)

2006 - 13th Europeans, 124.72; 21st Olympics, 123.64; 18th Worlds, 134.31

2007 - 10th Europeans, 131.00.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Do you say "I'm 22 years young"? :laugh:

I mean old as a skater, not certainly as a person. ;) ;)

Sasha Cohen, how old's Joannie

then Irina, Michelle, Maria... just to name a few of the ladies...

just because they aren't 16 doesn't mean they are hasbeens or can never improve... get rid of the stigma!

Kasey

Medalist
No, they aren't ancient mariners, but at the age of 22, it is probably harder to develop the basic triple jumps than at the age of 12, or even 16 or 17. I think that was the point being made.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
while I do understand it would be harder I stand by my thought that if she wants it she'll get it... 22 is not a barrier that's too big to jump over

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
No, they aren't ancient mariners, but at the age of 22, it is probably harder to develop the basic triple jumps than at the age of 12, or even 16 or 17. I think that was the point being made.

Exactly! That was the question! Is it still possible to learn the triple lutz or loop when you are 22 years old?
Maria, Oksana, Irina developed the jumps, when they were kids. So even in their 30is they can still jump.
Tonichelle, I wasn't saying that 22 is too old to skate or compete. If you read carefully, my question was "is she still able to learn the other triples, or it is too late?".

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Didn't Lesley Hawker (who's currently 25) add a couple of new triples in the last couple of years, which is how she was able to improve her national ranking so much?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tonichelle, I wasn't saying that 22 is too old to skate or compete. If you read carefully, my question was "is she still able to learn the other triples, or it is too late?".

and if you read my answers you'll see that I don't think it's too old for her body to learn them.