Flying layback, Inverted Spiral | Golden Skate

Flying layback, Inverted Spiral

gio

Medalist
Is there anybody who can perform these moves?

What about a double flying sit spin?

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Not sure what you mean by "inverted spiral." There was a clip floating around a year or so ago that showed a girl doing a flying layback.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yes, there was a rumor that a flying layback was supposed to be a reqired element for the ladies short programs... but i have never seen one.

riverflows

Rinkside
A Korean girl did the flying layback (title was 'first flying layback spin') at the 2006 Four Continents Championship. I think it was Ji-Eun Choi.

ETA: On second thought, maybe it wasn't her. It was a Korean girl from last year wearing a pale-blue dress. The video was really blurry and it was a 10 second clip, but it was very clearly a flying layback.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is looks pretty?

I agree--it doesn't look pretty. And the only reason why it's being credited as a layback is cos she doesn't do the three-rotations in the bad sit position =P

Pretty soon a skater out there will try flying biellmann.

(I do think she can do the flying layback--if she'd taken the flying camel approach, rather than the flying sit)

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Flying Layback

I agree--it doesn't look pretty. And the only reason why it's being credited as a layback is cos she doesn't do the three-rotations in the bad sit position =P

Pretty soon a skater out there will try flying biellmann.

(I do think she can do the flying layback--if she'd taken the flying camel approach, rather than the flying sit)

It looked kind of juvenile to me. Done very rough, like she was deliberately trying to show off. She should stay away from IMO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
it would have looked better if she had done a regualt flying sit and then up into a layback.

I thought it was cool. It could be brilliant if the right skater did it but needs sharper positions as well as speed. But that's a non-skater opinion.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I too agree that if she had the flying camel entry it might look better than the flying sit entry. Didn't do much for me either.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
She didn't really do a proper flying layback -- but what appears to be a flying tuck into a layback. A true flying layback achieves the layback position while airborne and lands in the layback spinning. Ji lands and then does a sideways leaning spin.

The flying layback was done years ago - I've seen some male skaters do better ones than Ji..... Lesley Hawker of Canada had a really great flying layback a couple of years ago that she was working on but when the CoP system was revised - it was just not worth the points to do it -- and few callers really id'd it properly.

-

backspin

On the Ice
Flying camel entrance would put the skater in a backspin, which generally isn't done for a layback.

I don't think it was pretty either. If anyone has a video of someone doing it as it's supposed to be done, I'd love to see it!! Sounds nigh to impossible.

italia

Rinkside
I looked at the reports from 4CC in 05...and her flying layback was counted as a flying upright...i think if they want it to count they need to be in the layback position in the air...which is kinda akward

roller girl

Rinkside
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what you call an inverted spiral?

Ilenia Baldisser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3IVcW0_-c

Daniel Arriola (not sure if the link works) He does it at the middle of the program
Used to have the best one, but I think the CoP does the skaters take it out

http://www.rollersports.tv/130.186.80.129/Joomlaeng/index538c.html?option=com_content&task=view&id=431&Itemid=33

I'm sorry that is no ice, but I am not sure about this spin being an inverted spiral as you call it. I call it just inverted, hehe