Endorsements by Male Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Endorsements by Male Skaters

debdelilah

On the Ice
Is that really what he said (I didn't read it obviously)- i.e. anything missing from that quote? Like words that dictate the context in what he was trying to say opposed to what the comment by it's self might be construed as? That is not a very friendly comment by itself.

Here's the article:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5181586

What's strange is that, while there is language about equality, he does in fact say he wants to make figure skating a "man's sport", not an equal sport or a sport for all people, or a sport that appeals to a broader audience.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Here's the article:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5181586

What's strange is that, while there is language about equality, he does in fact say he wants to make figure skating a "man's sport", not an equal sport or a sport for all people, or a sport that appeals to a broader audience.

I didn't get that feeling from actual quotes, only from the writer's statement that doing so was what he wanted.

Geesesk8

On the Ice
Were Boitano or Hamilton given a lot of endorsements in the 80s? or even early 90s? I don't remember seeing a lot of them...

But I remember seeing Kristi Yamaguchi EVERYWHERE. And Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Flemming STILL get endorsements.. where's Dick in all of this? ;)

and I don't know about studies, but sex sells on BOTH sides of the gender gap...

I don't know (can't remember!) the exact year, but prior to the early 90s amateur skaters ('Olympic eligible' we call them now) were not allowed to give endorsements. If they did, they were out - they lost their eligibility. It was that cut and dry. That is why Boitano, Hamilton, Hamill, Flemming did not get, or give, endorsements in their "day." I do remember Kristi Yamaguchi giving endorsement though, so the rule probably changed around her "time."

If I am wrong with any of this, please correct me.

Kasey

Medalist
Perhaps we are looking at it from only an American-centric point of view. As someone else said, some of the well-known Canadian skaters have had endorsement contracts. So have Plushenko and Lambiel that I know of. Perhaps other European, Canadian, and Asian skaters have as well.

Perhaps we are looking at it from only an American-centric point of view. As someone else said, some of the well-known Canadian skaters have had endorsement contracts. So have Plushenko and Lambiel that I know of. Perhaps other European, Canadian, and Asian skaters have as well.
I believe you are correct. In Europe, sport is sport.

In America every sport is defined by whether it is for man or for woman. The only sport in America, that I know of, is Equestrian where men and women compete for one prize in each event.

Figure skating is definitely a little girl's sport in America, unfortunately, and it would take an act of congress to change that attitude. IMO, it's on a similar level as Pagaents. Paper dolls, Coloring books, and even a whole autobiography at age 14. Wow. But that's the marketing of America. The boys work hard at it but the spoils are limited.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's a ladies sport in the U.S. In Canada, both Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko had a lot of endorsements. I think Kurt did Coca Cola commercials and Elvis did MasterCard and McDonalds. Others that I can't think of at the moment. Of course, Brian Boitano did the famous "I'm going to Disneyland" comercial right after the '88 Olympics, but that's about it. For the person who mentioned Todd Eldredge, he did have a deal with FTD florists at one point, but that was tied to Champions on Ice.

Boitano did a Disney Commercial????????????? I must have a copy!!!!!!!!!

and IIRC, it was actually Diet Coke that sponser Kurt's every move in the 90s lol

I think it was established early on that we were talking more about the American media's approach rather than elsewhere. It's well known that -especially in Canada- mens skating (male skaters) does not have the same stigma as in the USA.

which is why I shout from the roof tops: Give me Evan, Kurt, Brian, Johnny over Kimmie, Kristi, Katarina, and Michelle anyday! :love:

Last edited:
It's not the media itself. The media is giving mainstream America what they want. America loves to see little girls all in pretty dressers with sequins, and spinning on one foot. That's the way it is in America's Skateland.

Joe

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I do remember Kristi Yamaguchi giving endorsement though, so the rule probably changed around her "time."

If I am wrong with any of this, please correct me.

Kristi Yamaguchi did not have any endorsement deals until after she won 1992 Olympics and Worlds.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kristi Yamaguchi did not have any endorsement deals until after she won 1992 Olympics and Worlds.

Even then, there was a lot of debate because she wasn't getting as many as did other American ladies OGMs -- a lot of people thought she didn't get them because she wasn't Caucasian. I do recall reading that Michelle Kwan really broke down the door for endorsement deals for American ladies without the OGM -- a lot of people were surprised because she wasn't even the highest placing American. I don't recall Linda Fratienne (sp?) or Roz Summers getting endorsement deals -- does anyone know if they did -- outside of any tour-related deals?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's not the media itself. The media is giving mainstream America what they want. America loves to see little girls all in pretty dressers with sequins, and spinning on one foot. That's the way it is in America's Skateland.

Joe

The media has the power to change perspective though... always has had the power. The media can sway popular opinion very quickly, not just on politics, but everything else as well...

the media is powerful. If Sport's Illustrated really cared to write fair and unbiased journalism I think at least their readers would be able to respect the sport more. But even journalism classes don't take it seriously. the AP's book updates at least once a year and they still have very little reguarding figure skating, and most of its womens because - it's the most understandable. How ladies skating is more understandable than mens I don't get it. But whatever.

I had to bang my head a few times last semester because I had a prof who said that when he said he wanted a sports story he didn't think skating counted. It was extremely frustrating.

Journalists don't give a rip about skating, so why should the rest of the US?

Last edited:
The same issues come up in ballet. I remember a long time ago a major mag - SI I think - had Edward Villella (great American ballet dancer) on the cover with the caption, "Is This Man America's Greatest Athlete?" I'm not sure it made a big difference... in part because ballet, like skating, DOES have more than the typical proportion of gay men who don't present typical gender stereotypes. It's more promising IMO to see both ballet and skating as inherently - through their emphasis on artistry - stretching ideas of gender roles. We see the same thing happening to a lesser degree in mainstream media. Maybe skating could position itself as ahead of the trend.

I don't know. What's so terrible about having a sport for "little girls," as Joe puts it?

There are plenty of sports for big, Herky men. The last guy on the bench of a professional basketball team has a million dollar shoe contract on top of his million dollar salary.

I hope Mao Asada wins the world championship and signs a huge deal to push Aero chocolate bars. :yes:

The same issues come up in ballet. I remember a long time ago a major mag - SI I think - had Edward Villella (great American ballet dancer) on the cover with the caption, "Is This Man America's Greatest Athlete?" I'm not sure it made a big difference... in part because ballet, like skating, DOES have more than the typical proportion of gay men who don't present typical gender stereotypes. It's more promising IMO to see both ballet and skating as inherently - through their emphasis on artistry - stretching ideas of gender roles. We see the same thing happening to a lesser degree in mainstream media. Maybe skating could position itself as ahead of the trend.
Eddie Villella was and still is one of the greatest dancers of all time. He is absolutely unequivocably straight. In dance, gayness is tolerated but straight dancers do not necessarily like being associated with it. There are really no statistics as to the number of 'gay'men and women in dance, and skating for that matter either. I know I can name dozens of straight men in dance. I know you can name dozens of straight men in skating. Why focus on stereotypes? There are straight men who are also flamboyant. Look at George Hamilton who is a womanizer, I've been told.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Kristi got her endorsements after she went pro. The rules were in place until shortly after that. I remember Nancy being in a watch ad during the 1993 season. Remember the Campbell's Soup ad featuring Kwan, Lipinski and Bobek in 1998?

I was catching up on my magazine reading while waiting for the engine oil change to be done. The Dec issue of IFS had an article on Elvis's farewell performance and I noted the following quote from the article due to the recent discussions with regards to male skating and homophobia. (BTW, hope it's ok to quote since I mentioned my source above - don't know if I'd be able to find a link).

Elvis is quoted as saying "You had to skate flamboyant or skate very feminine in order to be recognized as a good artistic skater. I wanted to show that that's crap, that you can be yourself and... have a masculinity about your skating and not have to skate to classical music. You can have power in your movement and aggressiveness."

I don't know. What's so terrible about having a sport for "little girls," as Joe puts it?

There are plenty of sports for big, Herky men. The last guy on the bench of a professional basketball team has a million dollar shoe contract on top of his million dollar salary.

I hope Mao Asada wins the world championship and signs a huge deal to push Aero chocolate bars. :yes:
Nothing wrong with having a sport for little girls. If you want grown up figure skating, go to another country.

I am still not completely sure what "skating feminine" means exactly. Yes, Elvis put in some karate chops into his choreography. But you can see "macho" posing in any gay leather bar.