Emily Hughes - What Do You Think? | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - What Do You Think?

We seem to be skipping over Emily for Kimmie and Alissa.

Emily is a very seasoned skater now. She's had several US Nationals; plenty of GP events; she is an Olympian; and a top 10 skater at 2006 Worlds and in general.

Where will she be in Tokyo? Is she the US best hope?

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Emily has really grown on me this year. She does struggle with her consistency, although taking things out at Nationals and 4CC seemed to help, but she comes off as if she really enjoys what she is doing, and I like watching performers like that. I like her beillmann, and big, powerful skating style. She's not the pretty, tiny, baby ballerinas like some are, nor is she the jumping powerhouse that Mao, Miki, Kimmie are. She has her own kind of style!

Of all the US Senior Ladies at Nationals, I find Alissa and Bebe most interesting, but the two have serious jumping consistencies that on any given day, Emily can leapfrog over them. Kimmie is her real challenge (in the US), since she is a proven competitor who can keep her nerves in check and land her 3/3s. Nationals showed anything is possible, and Emily missed out on the title by less than a point.

That said, I still expect to see her in the top 10, even vying for a final flight spot if she is on and others are not for the SP. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if she lands in the top 6 overall. (I predict Mao, Yu-Na, Miki, Kimmie, Carolina for top 5 and either Emily/Joannie/Sarah to get that 6th spot.)

That said-something gets loss over the TV, IMO. In person, Emily is much more impressive. She's fast, and uses the whole rink, gets the audience into her programs, looks confident and her skating doesn't look "heavy" (NOT my word, I noticed many critics across the boards like to use this with her.) She does have a more "TA-DA!" energetic style, which I normally don't gravitate towards, but it works for her (as it did for Tara way back when).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think she needs more upbeat music for her FS...not too sure IMO that the slower music suits her. For that reason I have to say I'm not terribly impressed by her this year but it is remarkable how much she's managed to achieve on her own, and not being in her sister's shadow. The joy is also nice to see, although I see less of it somehow this year than last year. Good to watch but not awesome. One of those skaters that's like, yeah, nice, but not impressive. JMO.

I got the impression though that most thought her "enthusiasm" was over the top and frankly were bored by her. Didn't know there'd be some that actually like (to watch) her.

But I have to comment on something...top FIVE for her at worlds?? Is this some kind of joke?? :rofl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily's does have a consistency problem, which is why most of the choreography has been stripped out of her FS. There are few interesting transitions, leaving Emily time aplenty to stroke into her jumps, actively telegraphing them.

Emily is slower this season. I noticed how much faster Kimmie is by comparison, both at Nationals and at 4CC.

I'm not sure how she will do at Worlds. She still has yet to have a clean FS (leaving out two combinations is not my idea of clean, and points-wise it was very costly). She has no triple loop and no 3/3s, although she says she's putting 3/3s in for Tokyo. :rolleye:

R.D.

Record Breaker
she SAID that?? I thought she was just going to WORK on them and then put them in if she feels comfortable enough. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them.

And what exactly does "telegraphing" a jump mean?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And what exactly does "telegraphing" a jump mean?

It is a strange use of the term to me as well. It is usually associated with giving a signal that it is about to happen WHEN the "others" are not supposed to know. Like in football, the QB is looking with his arm in a pass position prior to the throw and everyone knows where it is going before the pass.

With Jumps you know they are coming via the curriculum of the routines so the "telegraph" to me is all ready in the judges and commentators hands so to speak. But I don't like the term traveling either, so I am "nutty.":laugh:

In skating it seems it is where one skater is setting up for a jump with A LOT prior "gliding time." Longer then most or extensive set up time prior to a jump. Not everyone is Kurt B and they just come out of no where and whip out a 2a, but sometimes they are just gliding for around 50 - 75 feet and everyone sees the jump that is going to happen to a degree where it is disruptive to the choreography. Not flowing into the jump, but a blaring indication that can sometimes last for 5 seconds of "hey, I am going to jump and not doing any moves before, not even some form of step to break up the long long long glide!" IMO

R.D.

Record Breaker
So if I understand you correctly, you mean when a skater takes longer than 5 seconds between the setup for a jump and its actual execution...?

I like Emily off-ice a lot - she is so comfortable in front of a camera! Her intelligence, cheerfulness and wit come across so well. I could see her doing commercials!

However, I don't like it when I feel like skaters are trying to sell themselves too hard, especially when it feels like an effort to distract me from what's happening, or not, in their skating. I always feel like Emily is trying to win on pizzazz and I'm not happy that it works.

I will be disappointed if she makes top five because she is winning on PCS so far. I don't think she has the choreography or interpretation to merit those marks, and I think there are at least 5 others who (knock on wood) deserve to place above her. But of course it all changes if those women don't skate their best.

Now, if she changed her choreography and costuming to something that suited her style more, then I wouldn't mind her getting high PCS and wins.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So if I understand you correctly, you mean when a skater takes longer than 5 seconds between the setup for a jump and its actual execution...?

As far as the seconds, I don't think there is a defining amount of seconds per say, but when it seems there is a "obvious break" in the routine to set up for a jump. If a spectator was to say to themselves, "alright, jump already." That would likely be considered telegraphing. Covering 1/2 to 2/3s or more of the center of the rink just gliding backwards and nothing is happening is disruptive to the routine IMO.

Telegraphing = Extensive time preparing for a jump that disrupts the choreography. Not only do you see it coming but you see it developing, preparing, expression changing, etc...

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I love Ta-Da and can't wait for her total package to come together... She has that star quality thing that her peers are sorely lacking and its fun to watch... I think she'll make the top five at Worlds and probably land off the podium, but her time will come... Out of all ladies, us & international, she's my new favorite...

I was surprised though by the comment of her being able to leapfrog over Alissa & Bebe... was that in question? have either ever really beaten her? Both can skate awesome SPs, but neither has lived up to the hype in my opinion... I also think the same can be said about Kimmie & Mao (said whild ducking the flying tomatoes...) those four simply don't do it for me. But Ta-Da? Can't wait to see her smirking her way to the top of the podium...

I also think the same (not living up to the hype)can be said about Kimmie & Mao.
Bombs away with the tomatoes! :laugh:

Kimmie and Mao are both reigning national champions. Mao won the 2005 senior grand prix final at 15, and several other senior international competitions since. Kimmie won the world championship at 16.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but in terms of "hype," they have met and exceeded all reasonable expectations so far.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

Kimmie and Mao are both reigning national champions. Mao won the 2005 senior grand prix final at 15, and several other senior international competitions since. Kimmie won the world championship at 16.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but in terms of "hype," they have met and exceeded all reasonable expectations so far.

Of course, you are totally correct. I'm looking at it from a more long-term perpective in terms of if both lose the 3x3 & 3A, what's left? And let's keep it real, most skaters lose those jumps as they get older...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

But I have to comment on something...top FIVE for her at worlds?? Is this some kind of joke?? :rofl:

I don't think so; if Emily continues on the pattern that she has been following for three years now, she should come in 4th. Consider:

1993/2005: MK ('93)/Emily (')5) make Sr Nats debut with less than stellar SP; great FS; end up in 6th. Both go to Junioir Worlds and medal. In both '93 and '05, also, the Nat gold went to a reigning Nat medalist, reigning World medalist and reigning Oly Bronze medalist, who went to Sr. Worlds in former Communist country and unexpectedly finished off of the podium.

1994/2006: MK and Emily both qualify for Oly team; neither is originally named because said reigning Oly bronze medalist needed a medical bye. Both make senior Worlds debut by coming in 8th.

1995/2007: Both get silver at Nats. MK came in 4th at Worlds ...

if both lose the 3x3 & 3A, what's left?
You're kidding about Mao, right? With her exquisite line and grace, not to mention her one-handed Bielmann, she will always go through the roof on PCS. (Lemme guess - grace and line are not your favorite qualities. :laugh: At least we both like Miki.)

Of course, you are totally correct. I'm looking at it from a more long-term perpective in terms of if both lose the 3x3 & 3A, what's left? And let's keep it real, most skaters lose those jumps as they get older...
Well, it's certainly true that Mao is more likely to lose her triple Axel than Emily is.

But "long term?" You give me a dollar if Mao makes her national team for the 2014 Olympics, and I'll give you a dollar if Emily does, OK? ;)

I don't think so; if Emily continues on the pattern that she has been following for three years now, she should come in 4th....

1995/2007: Both get silver at Nats. MK came in 4th at Worlds ...
Wow! Emily is on a pace to win the World Championship in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015! ;)

nubka

Final Flight

Kimmie is the Nats champ this year because the judges held her up big time. She won at Worlds because without Shizuka & Ira there was no serious competition besides Cohen, who, as we all know, had a melt down...

Emily is my favorite American ladies skater right now. Yes, she is exuberant, ta-da, and all that, but I don't think it's an act. I think it's just her, and that's why I like her and her skating.

I don't think she will be on the podium at Worlds, but there's always hope (maybe everyone else will totally bomb out, lol!!)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I adore Emily. When the hype was first on her in 05 I was like 'uh, yeah, right'... I missed her FS that year at nationals because I got caught up outside of the arena talking with friends...

but she completely WOWed me last year at nationals and ever since I've been on the bandwagon. I LOVE watching her skate, and a lot of her talent just doesn't come through on TV :)