The Glorious Last Six to Skate - Tokyo | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Glorious Last Six to Skate - Tokyo

MKFSfan

Medalist
I am only speculating here, but I bet that if Fumie had placed silver maybe bronze that might have been a reality. I was not reading and chatting online at that point yet so most of you would know better than I. As usual.:agree:

I recall before Japanese Nationals, it was announced the medal winners would represent Japan at Worlds. This was in response to the backlash that occured last season when Miki, who finished 6th, was sent to the Olympics over Yukari. Following Japanese Nationals, it was announced Fumie was not on the team due to her 4th place finish, and that she would be going to 4CC. I was expecting the Fed. to say,"Yukari and Fumie will hash it out at Asian Champ. and 4CC and whoever has better results will go to Worlds, along with Miki and Mao."

I hope Fumie doesn't retire, unless she wants to!

yaph

Rinkside
Unfortunately, in Japan, there are many opinions that Fumie should retire. That is, since obviously Japan Skating Federation hurries up a generational shift, she'd better withdraw before staining her career. Um, I'm sad.:cry:

evenstar

Final Flight
I just realized that Fumie would've won the bronze at the '05 worlds had she not doubled her last lutz on her program. If she hadn't fallen in the short she might've been a threat for the silver.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I just realized that Fumie would've won the bronze at the '05 worlds had she not doubled her last lutz on her program. If she hadn't fallen in the short she might've been a threat for the silver.

She also might have been looked upon more favorably by the judges at the 2006 Olympics had she medaled at the 2005 Worlds, with Cohen and Slutskaya skating the way they did, her medal chances might have been better with a medal at the 2005 Worlds. She would be somebody who had medaled at 3 of the last 4 Worlds, and the year she didnt won the GP final, as oppose to somebody who had never done better then bronze at Worlds which was 3 years ago by the time of the Olympics. Big difference in how she is perceived.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In no particular order:

Kostner
Meissner
Meier
Asada
Kim
Hughes

I could see either Poykio or Korpi as an alternative.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
The way Miki's season has been going, she would have to really be off to not end up in the top 6. Certainly she could beat Hughes, Meier, Poykio and Korpi! I think the top is easy to predict. It's who rounds out the 6th spot that is pretty up in the air.

Everyone seems to be counting out Nakano so I will be different & call her for the glorious 6 over Meier... otherwise same as Ladybug...

krenseby

Final Flight
She also might have been looked upon more favorably by the judges at the 2006 Olympics had she medaled at the 2005 Worlds, with Cohen and Slutskaya skating the way they did, her medal chances might have been better with a medal at the 2005 Worlds. She would be somebody who had medaled at 3 of the last 4 Worlds, and the year she didnt won the GP final, as oppose to somebody who had never done better then bronze at Worlds which was 3 years ago by the time of the Olympics. Big difference in how she is perceived.

I don't understand all the intricacies of TES and PCS scores, but do you believe that had Fumie won a medal at the the 2005 Worlds, the judges at the Olympics could have somehow have tweaked her scores in the SP + LP to bring her up to a bronze medal finish?

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I know that wasn't a question for me, but I think had Fumie medaled in '05, her PCS in the Turino SP would have been higher at least. She would have less ground to make up. I don't understand why her PCS wasn't in the 30s like the top three's were.

At any rate, I hope she will retire when she wants to, not when the federation/public want a generational shift.

:) Sorry to add to the thread-hijacking--I just can't help myself when it comes to Fumie.

I think last flight at worlds will be Asada, Kim, Ando, Kostner, Meissner, and Rochette. Though I definitely would not mind Meier or Czisny sneeking in there somewhere.