I need your Opinions :) | Golden Skate

I need your Opinions :)

LateComer

Spectator
Hi - I'm just looking for different precpectives out there about skating and me and skating.

I didn't start skating when I was 5 like a lot of people. Infact, I was fifteen when I learned to do a basic three turn. Now, 5 years later, the highest jump I have landed is the double loop. It's not the most consistant jump right now because I have been working majorly on my solo and the required jumps to pass my Sr. Bronze Freeskate test. As for dances I'm working on one last dance in the Jr. Silver section and on the second last skills.

I really love figure skating and want to keep at it. Do you think it's a waste of time and energy, considering my age and I should just grow up and get a career? I work as a cashier and skate before and afterwards. I'm also heavily involved with program assistang CanSkate. I want to coach someday, but I'm thinking I might want to compete someday too (still working on the nerves and getting really good at it).

What is your opinions? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks. I plan to become a more fequent poster :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well you can make a mark as a coach even if you don't compete

there are the adult competitions and I think you could do that and coach... it's not as 'glamorous' as those competitions that ABC/ESPN televise but it's still competition...

you can also get work as a skater in stuff like Disney on Ice and the like... there are some great opportunities for anyone who loves the sport... don't give it up! Anyone with the courage to learn 'late' and continue to improve has a gold medal in my eyes... I'm too chicken to start!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If you love skating and really enjoy your time on the ice keep it up by all means!! If you are doing both singles and dance, of course you will progress a little slower than skaters who devote all thier time and energy to only one discipline. You should give yourself big pat on the back for gettingto your doubles at all. As you get older, and 15 IS old in the figure skating world, the jumps are harder to do properly. You have proved yourself a hard edicated worker, and next year, you will see it all pay off when you get to compete as an adult skater. Competion is great, it really pushes you mentally and physicaly and gives you somthing to work towards and goals. I love hearing about kids who didn't start skating as toddlers. There are so many skaters out there who didn't start until thier twenties or thirties or later! Enjoy your youth and follow your dreams! Good Luck!!:clap: :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Holy cow! You do doubles! No question, follow this dream to where it takes you!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

megsk8z

On the Ice
Sometimes I ask myself the same questions you do. Things like, "well is it worth it?" Or the dreaded, "what'll I do for a living?" I'll never be a great skater, I'm good enough to make some people stop and watch the old lady fly at public sessions and that's about it.
But then I think of how dull and joyless my life would be without skating. If you truly love skating, you'll find a way to keep it in your life and it will find a way to keep you attached to the sport.
Skating is never a waste of time!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
megsk8z-
At the ripe old age of 20 you have a lot of skating years left. Enjoy and keep doing it as long as you love to skate. One is never too old, nor is it a waste of your time.

I was 12 years old when I started skating and had to stop because of the expense at age 16. I waited 30 years to take my first skate test (adult pre bronze mif) and at the ripe old age of 47 just passed my adults bronze mif test. I'm working on my adult bronze free skate test and hope to take that in a few months.

At times I think I'm wasting my time, but I love to skate! So as long as my body will let me I'm going to continue and I hope you do the same too.

megsk8z

On the Ice
dlk....Um, I'm a lot riper than 20, if it's me you're talking about. I'm 50. Just ask my knees. But I did quit when I was 15 and regretted it very much until I turned 35 and discovered this wonderful thing called adult skating. And adult synchro skating!
But I've passed juvie moves and adult silver freestyle and am perfectly content to be a juvenile skater the rest of my life.

So welcome, LateComer and keep skating!

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
... I'm 50. Just ask my knees ...

LOL! No kidding! I'm 57 and was thinking of adding a Shoot The Duck to my program. When my coach arrived, she asked me how it went. I told her the only problem with the Shoot The Duck was there was no way on earth I could get back up from it - LOL!

I skated from age 14 to 19 and did pretty well, considering I grew up in the backwoods with no coach and no competitions to enter. I wrecked at 19, screwed up my knees, went to college, got married, and life just generally got in the way. I started skating again last year at the age of 56 and it has been quite a struggle to learn everything over again, from the beginning. But I am off to my first-ever competition in a month's time and I am confident I will do well.

There's nothing wrong with starting "late". Just don't set your sights on the Olympics and don't compare yourself to those who started skating at 5 years old!

megsk8z

On the Ice
Haha, dlkksk8fan, see what happens when you get old? You misunderstand people............sorry about that.

I had this experience yesterday that sort of goes along with LateComer's question about "am I wasting my time?" I was skating open skate with my other skating friends and met another person about my age who used to be a Gold level ice dancer and she quit when she was young and said she was very sorry, but she's coming back to skate because she's missed skating so much!

I don't think you're ever wasting time if you're doing something you love.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Wasting your time?
Hardly.....
You'd be wasting your time if you were sitting at home watching poker while stuffing yourself with potato chips or haunting MySpace chat rooms instead of skating.
One of our adult ladies got 2nd at adult internationals in Oberstdorf, Germany and had an absolute blast!
I always wonder where all the skaters in their 20's and 30's are, at my rink, there's this massive gap in those age groups, virtually none exist, the few who do are now coaching and started before they could walk......

Btw - Getting up from the Duck is much easier if you lean forward just a hair, then rise.

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
Btw - Getting up from the Duck is much easier if you lean forward just a hair, then rise.

Oh yea! I can smell TOE PICK all over that! :biggrin:

I always wonder where all the skaters in their 20's and 30's are, at my rink, there's this massive gap in those age groups, virtually none exist

It is that way everywhere I think. The 20- and 30-somethings are off getting married, starting a family, building a career - you know, all that stuff that isn't nearly as important as skating! :disapp:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
he 20- and 30-somethings are off getting married, starting a family, building a career
I have to agree with this. When I was in my mid 20's I started to get back into skating, then I got pregnant with my first son. After he got a little older I decide I wanted to start skating again, then I got pregnant with my second son. When he got a little older I started back skating then I moved to a town where the closest ice rink was a 3 hour drive. After 7 years of no ice, I finally moved to a city that was close to several ice rinks.

Binky30

Rinkside
I think it depends on what you want out of your skating. Do you harbor dreams of winning the Olympics? Probably not gonna happen at this point. (Sorry)

But if you really enjoy skating and you're just interested in seeing where you can go with it, whether that means just skating at your local rink or doing some adult competitions or coaching, then I definitely think you should stick with it!

As for "only" having a (spotty) double...I'm so impressed w/ people who can just do back crossovers and basic skating moves because I can't even stand up in skates, so you're really doing great!

ArwenIcePrincess

Rinkside
Keep going! I started at around fifteen like you did, and acheived all of my single jumps and even landed a double toe once or twice before school and other activities crowded skating out- at nineteen now, I wish I had stayed in, as I'm struggling to land a single loop these days!

Emma7639

Rinkside
I started last year when I was 15 too, and I'm about to start working on the axel(if my stress fracture ever heals!). I definitely don't think it's a waste of time to keep doing it. You can still compete, and even if you don't want to do that, isn't learning a new move and actually being able to do it, the best feeling in the world? Well maybe not the best but pretty close to it. I'm very aware that it's going to be hard for me to get doubles since I'm tall and well, 15 but there are some adults who have learned doubles and they started when they were 40 or even older. If you love skating, you should keep doing it, regardless of how far up the levels you think you will or won't get.

skater 17

Rinkside
I say go for it, sometimes in life we just want to have fun, it does not always have to be about winning or being the best. Some it just plain old personal satisfaction that drives us to challange ourselves. Hope you stress fracture heals and you can continue your skating journey.

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
ok, even though ur not a WOW skater like mao asada or whatever, what u need is to not think too much. if u like skating, just skate for fun. if ur doubtful about skating, there r choices. i take u as a canadian and a under the canadian system, u really have no chance in jr. b/c the age limit is 18. since u said u started skating when ur 15, u could still stay a few yrs in starskate then you could blossum into adultskating. but u could still compete. there are many adultskating events, just check up on ur local skating website or club website and they will post them up. then if ur thinking of coaching, apply now for level one. but chances are, ur career will be very tough. ur resume just isn't that impressive enough. try competing more, passing more tests, and doing volunteer work for ur local club. think in perspectively. if that's the job ur going for, go for it.