American Idol - Top 24 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

American Idol - Top 24

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
nooooooooooooo do not encourage the millions of undecided!!!!!! lol

please don't vote for Sanjaya... my nerves can't take much more!!!! Vote Melinda! or Lakisha! or BLAKE!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think Gwen Stefani is presiding over "Pop Night", by which I assume they mean current stuff. I agree with Toni that 10 Gwen Stefani songs would be a bit MUCH.
(Just think, we could see Sanjaya attempt "Hey Baby Hey Baby Hey" or whatever it's actually called. :laugh: )

Jimmy Kimmel has taken to calling Chris Sligh "The Pillsbury Fro-Boy" :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ooo then it's probably top 40 billboard night this week... that's normally pretty good

5 bucks says Sanjaya will sing 'don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me' (don't know the actual title of that song)

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
ooo then it's probably top 40 billboard night this week... that's normally pretty good

5 bucks says Sanjaya will sing 'don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me' (don't know the actual title of that song)

I was thinking "Hollaback Girl" myself...just kidding...a bit. :laugh:
But the song you're thinking of is called "Don'tcha".
Happy Monday!
xoxo
Rave

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
OK, something I need to get off my chest before another round gets underway:

Could the judges and the critics just KNOCK IT OFF now with the "Wow, she's only 17" when it comes to Jordin?? I think we know how young she is now, and let's just concentrate on her talent and how she sings, all right?? I'm sure she must be getting sick of hearing it too; "Wow, I can't believe you're only 17."

Kinda reminds me of the reaction to Michelle Kwan early in her career: "Wow, she's only 13!" "Wow, she's only 14!" "Wow, she's only 15!" All right, all right, all right!! She's talented AND young!! Now just SHUT UP ABOUT IT and let her skate, OK??? :biggrin: :laugh: Once the fact of her age has been established, why harp on it for weeks on end??

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
OK, something I need to get off my chest before another round gets underway:

Could the judges and the critics just KNOCK IT OFF now with the "Wow, she's only 17" when it comes to Jordin?? I think we know how young she is now, and let's just concentrate on her talent and how she sings, all right?? I'm sure she must be getting sick of hearing it too; "Wow, I can't believe you're only 17."
Once the fact of her age has been established, why harp on it for weeks on end??

ITA! And while we're at it, could Cowell & Co. please stop gushing on each week about how nice Melinda is? That could backfire miserably - over-the-top praise has been the kiss of death for contestants before.
Thank you. Carry on.
xoxo
Rave

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ITA! And while we're at it, could Cowell & Co. please stop gushing on each week about how nice Melinda is? That could backfire miserably - over-the-top praise has been the kiss of death for contestants before.
Thank you. Carry on.
xoxo
Rave

I agree with that, too. And I'm also having a feeling that that "aw shucks" thing of hers is going to start to WEAR and might take her out of it earlier than expected; I've already read a few ENOUGH!! things regarding that in a few places over the last week. I know that it's genuine and not an act at all, and it IS kinda charming, but let's face it, if she wants to be the next American Idol, sooner or later she needs to OWN the fact that she's talented and just run with it; LaKisha is already starting to do this. The fact of the matter is, the American public by and large wants some middle ground in this area -- too arrogant can backfire on you (there were many who considered Fantasia a bit too full of herself during her run), and too modest can eventually construed as an act of some sort after a while, even if it isn't.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fact of the matter is, the American public by and large wants some middle ground in this area -- too arrogant can backfire on you (there were many who considered Fantasia a bit too full of herself during her run), and too modest can eventually construed as an act of some sort after a while, even if it isn't.
JonnyCoop, I don't know if I am misunderstanding you but are you saying that Lakisha is arrogant?? I guess I see her as being very humble and that she's fighting for her life each time she performs. I think she knows that winning could change her baby and her life forever.

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop, I don't know if I am misunderstanding you but are you saying that Lakisha is arrogant?? I guess I see her as being very humble and that she's fighting for her life each time she performs. I think she knows that winning could change her baby and her life forever.

Dee

Not at all. What I meant by using LaKisha as an example is, the first couple of early rounds, LaKisha, like Melinda, seemed rather stunned by the fact that she was getting such good reviews, but now she seems to be to the point, like most contestants, of being appreciative of the positive comments, but no longer overwhelmed by the fact that she is getting them, whereas Melinda still can't seem to believe it. (I can't see Melinda at this point saying something like "Hey, if I sound that good 45 years from now, I'll be pretty happy" or whatever the exact thing LaKisha said last week was.) LaKisha is beginning to believe in her talent, whereas Melinda doesn't seem to be there yet. I don't consider that to be arrogant at all. I never personally considered Fantasia to be arrogant either, tho many did at the time, but then Fantasia had more confidence going into it than either LaKisha or Melinda, and sometimes that can be construed as arrogance, especially if it's expressed a certain way.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can understand both sides... but I love the fact that Melinda still doesn't get it.

I relate to her in that way, no matter how much praise I get for some things that I do I sit there and go 'but it's average/crap!' I can't just turn a switch and go the other way...

if she went from so humble to so confident over night I'd worry that she was just playing the game before... and I don't think I'd relate and root for her as much.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Strange night. Interesting mix of good performances from surprising sources, less than enthralling numbers from people who I would have expected to do better, and some of the same old same old.

MY TOP THREE:

Gina -- IIRC, that's a Pretenders song, and I've been waiting for her to do one. Perfect choice and a really good performance.

Phil -- FINALLY a balanced performance. As Paula said, he's great with the chorus, but has trouble with the melodies. He really balanced it out and that was quite good; his best overall by far.

Blake -- Given the fact that I HATE The Cure and I REALLY hate that song, but I liked this performance -- that must mean something. He definitely had the "Brit thing" going on again.

HONORABLE MENTION:

Melinda -- Well, finally she chose something lively!! Quite good, but that's to be expected. Whereas Phil and Gina actually surprised me, so I give them extra points for that.

THE MIDDLE GROUND:

LaKisha -- Nothing wrong with the performance vocally, but there was just something about it that didn't really do much for me. She did look a little awkward out there trying to "disco out" in those boots. And there was WAY too much going on with that dress. I thought at first she was wearing an apron.

Chris S. -- Not bad overall, but he has a tendency to drag his vowels out a little too long and you gotta be careful how you do that. I think he made it a little too "ballad" for my taste, but it wasn't too bad. Far from his worst.

Jordin -- If she was going to do a No Doubt song, I think she should have picked "Just A Girl"; I think she could have torn the roof off the place with that one. This -- I don't know. It's a really bad idea, IMO, to choose a song where the main chorus and highlight of the song is actually done by the backup singers. I have a really nasty feeling -- hope I'm wrong -- that this might backfire on her. It wasn't too long ago that that song was a MAJOR hit and there could be a lot of people out there who were less than thrilled with what she did with it. Because of that, if she's the one to go home tonight, I wouldn't be surprised. Very disappointed, but not surprised.

THE BAD:

Haley -- Admittedly, the sweet-voiced-breathy thing does not go far with me personally; puts me in mind of early Olivia Newton-John, only Olivia at least had some ooomph to it. This was another selection in "The Goose Fork, Manitoba, Motel 6 Airport Lounge Presents -- Haley Scarnato" catalog....

Chris R -- And Mr. Whiny Boy Band Voice sucks the emotion out of ANOTHER powerful song. As soon as they said he was gonna sing a No Doubt hit, I was AFRAID that's what he was gonna pick. He really ruined one of my favorite songs. He IS adorable -- but he's gotta go. I said that last week, too.

AND IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF:

SANJAYA!!
When I first saw the hair, the first thing that came to mind was that scene from "Liar Liar" with Jim Carrey -- "How do you like my new dress?" "WHATEVER TAKES YOUR EYES OFF THE HAIR!!" except in this case it was "How do you like my hair?" 'WHATEVER TAKES YOUR MIND OFF THE VOCALS!!"
BUT--
You know, he actually wasn't bad!! Especially given the difficult structure of that song!! Pretty dang good, actually!! Of course, the basic conventional wisdom floating around regarding him is that people are "voting for the hair" and I gotta say, even I was pretty tempted to do so. That 'do was just TOO priceless!!

As far as who's going home, overall, I think it's pretty much open season. Given the performances last night, combined with past performances, this could go in any number of directions, IMHO. I think we're in for a shocker.

Binky30

Rinkside
Wow. Last night. Um...wow. LOL

LaKisha was great, I love her, but seriously, she's *got* to cover up her puppies.

Chris S...it's called a beat. Perhaps you could look around for it/try to stay with it next time?

Phil was good. I'm not super excited about him, but he's ok.

I missed Haley, but from the recap I gathered she was ok but nothing memorable.

Melinda...I love her, think she's awesome, but she's getting into that Tamyra zone for me. She's so consistently good week after week that it's becoming boring, and I worry that her voting fans will think she's safe and not vote for her and she'll be gone sooner than expected.

I like Blake, but last night, without the beatboxing and dancing and performance aspect, he was a little bland.

Chris R. I have tried. And tried. Honestly. But that whining, nasally quality to his voice, and the similarities to Justin Timberlake, just bug. They're calling him "Timberfake" on another board LOL (ETA: as JonnyCoop pointed out: he sucked the emotion/life right out of one of my favorite songs. It's a heartbreaking song, Chris. She's telling someone she desperately loves that it feels like things are over. Try putting a *little* feeling into it.)

Gina...was just ok. She's not my cup of tea.

Jordin! Eeeeeeeeee! I love her. Not her best vocal, but she certainly had fun, and it didn't suck. (Her best vocal, IMO, was last week's "I Who Have Nothing", which the judges should've jumped out of their seats over, but instead gave her weak "It was good" comments.)

And finally, Sendjaya Home. Uh, I mean, Sanjaya. WHAT. ON. EARTH. was he wearing on his head? I mean, I know what it was, but....just....I....*speechless* He sucks. I'm sorry he's 17, and I'm sorry he seems like a nice enough kid. But honestly. He's SO far out of his depth in this competition. And last night was just the limit. Vocals were crap, and the hair was SUCH a distraction. Reminded me of Nadia Turner from a couple of seasons ago. Hmm...seems like she got eliminated right after she mohawked her hair...maybe we can hope for the same with Sanjaya?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dude if Sanjaya doesn't go home tonight my aunt is going to go homicidal and probably fly a plane down to LA lol

his hair gave me nightmares! :eek: