Oksana Domnina's Father Commits Suicide | Golden Skate

Oksana Domnina's Father Commits Suicide

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://sport.rbc.ru/scandal/index.shtml?/news/scandal/2007/02/22/22151710_bod.shtml

Translation by Ptichka

Loosing close ones is always dramatic. It's a finlity that one must accept, but acceptance often doesn't come easy. That is especially true one people choose to leave this life. Right now, this drama is happening in the family of Oksama Domnina, who has recently one silver at the European figure skating championships.

As we now know, the athlete's father Alexander Domnin commited suicide on his birthday at home in Kirov. He was planning to mark turning 45, he was rather happy and optimistic, planning to mark the day with a shish-kabob picnic with friends. However, that was not to be.

Domnin has been found in his appartment, having shot himself with a hunter's gun that was registered to him. Next to the body was a farewell note where he asked his loved ones forgiveness for his action, and said that nobody is responsible for making him make the decision. The police said unequivocally that it was a suicide.

There are no details released to the public yet, as there is no information on what could make the skater's father take his own life. At this point, regional district attorney is conducting investingation. Some sources say that some problems at work could prompt the step - Domnin was the chauffeur of an interior affairs boss of Lenin region of the city.

Having found out what happened, Oksana Domnina immediately went to Kirov, but has refreained from commenting. She only mentioned being concerned about dirty gossip being springing up around her father's death.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Horrible news! Poor Oksana!

The article says pretty much the same that SailorGalaxia said, with addition that job issues may be the reason of the suicide (he was a driver of chief of the district police department). And Oksana's only comment was that she is afraid that baddirty rumours will start to circulate.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My sympathies go out to Domnina & the rest of her family.

No one is responsible for what they say immediately after hearing horrible news like that. Trust me on this; your head doesn't work correctly when you're in shock.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
All I can add is that unfortunately Russia now has one of the highest suicide rates in the world...

I lost my dad last fall to pneumonia/cancer, and it was the worst thing I ever went through. My heart goes out to this girl and her family.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
awww my thoughts go out to Oksana Domnina and her family, I hope that she will get to compete in Japan at the world Championship, I hope also to see further stories as to what happened in more detail.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
All I can add is that unfortunately Russia now has one of the highest suicide rates in the world...

that doesn't surprise me... especially since E. Russia seems to have a lot in common with Alaska - at least the parts that I've heard most about...