Caroline Zhang and Michelle Kwan | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang and Michelle Kwan

There is a cute article on Caroline Zhang in this month’s International Figure Skating magazine. She says that training on the same ice as Michelle Kwan (at the East-West Ice Palace in Artesia) has been an inspiration for her this season.

“I have been skating almost every day with Michelle when she is home from college and visiting her family. I asked her for about eight autographs when I first met her and she was so nice and signed everything I had.

“Michelle has been so helpful and she’s been giving me pointers on my triple flip, but it’s hard for me to listen to her advice because I am so star struck. I try to concentrate, but in the back of my mind I am thinking, ‘Wow, that’s Michelle Kwan talking to me.’

“I like her passion on the ice and her artistry. I admire her spirals and how she engages the audience with her expression. I think she should come back and compete again. She is definitely still the best. I watch her closely when we share the ice to see how I could be just a little more like her in my own skating.”

emma

Record Breaker
OMG - that is toooooo adorable. So sweet - I love how she said Michelle was giving her advice but she couldn't really hear it because she was so star struck. And, I don't know what other's think, but I do so see Michelle in Caroline's spiral. Anyway, how wonderful that she gets to meet and talk to someone she so admires and respects. And how sweet to say she is still the best and should still compete (sounds like she is learning Michelle's classiness too).

kittyjake5

On the Ice
As much as I miss the Kween it is a fact that her throne is vacant. Many skaters are vying for that throne and it just might be Caroline. She seems like a sweet girl.

jennylovskt

Medalist
As much as I miss the Kween it is a fact that her throne is vacant. Many skaters are vying for that throne and it just might be Caroline. She seems like a sweet girl.

Maybe even better. Caroline's artistic ability is amazing, and I believe her technical skills could be better than Michelle's. And she seems to have such competitive spirit like Michelle.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Maybe even better. Caroline's artistic ability is amazing, and I believe her technical skills could be better than Michelle's. And she seems to have such competitive spirit like Michelle.

Are you saying we might be fortunate enough to have two back-to-back legends?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I really hope that Caroline can hold onto her jumps as she grows. If she can and keep up her consistancy, she will be a great american skater, i hope another legend. She is SO taleted IMO, and would love to see her have Michelle's sucess. She so deserves it. A lovely skater and such a sweet inoccent little girl. :clap: :clap: :clap: :love:

satorare

Match Penalty
Zhang's overall talents are no less than Kwan's.
But her rivals are much stronger than those of late 1990s.
It's very unlikely to repeat the "legends".

jennylovskt

Medalist
Are you saying we might be fortunate enough to have two back-to-back legends?

Why not?:) The reason that Michelle has become a legend was her amazing competitive spirit. Not her technical skills, not her artistic abilities, but her ever lasting competitive spirit. No offense to any Kwan fans, I am a Kwan fan too. There are skaters who had better artistic abilities. There are skaters who had better technical skills. But there is no skater who can hold up so consistently for so long. That is why Michelle is special.

I think Caroline is special because she has the outstanding artistic abilities and great technical skills. She is so young and she is learning and developing. If she can hold up like Michelle did, she will be the next legend.

LuckyBear

Rinkside
CZ compared to MK

I am a long time Michelle Kwan fan. I have not seen much of Caroline's skating, but while watching her exhibition from 2007 US Nationals she reminded me very much of Kwan.

R.D.

Record Breaker
are people comparing her to Kwan as we know her TODAY, or Kwan when SHE was 13?

Let's ask this same question four years later. :p

Well, Michelle won the Junior World Championship when she was 13, so we'll have one point of comparison in the next 10 days. :)

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
She does remind me of Michelle. Interesting enough is the fact that I was never too much into Michelle but I'm head over heels with Zhang. She is adorable and so talented!

The Junior World Championship is a Biggie in Figure Skating. I wish I could get that Connecticut station to watch it.

I can't see Caroline losing except for slippery ice.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I could easily see Caroline taking the MK status in a popularity sense. Yet I was not a "uber MK fan" as many others, but from a nonchalant FS fan stand point, CZ has the makings. Off ice, Caroline may even be more liked then MK to the casual viewer in the future. I don't know if there is anyone that can maintain that adorableness over the age of 9. Not even the girl on the Cosby Show was that adorable, and that was scripted. No problem in the spotlight and extremely polite, etc.....

Now add what she can do on the ice and it equals a Big Deal within this moment. Future is always uncertain, but it is definitely brighter for some then others.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Other than skating at Michelle's ice rink, I don't see the comparison of Caroline to Michelle. To me, they have entirely different skating styles. Michelle is more athletic while Caroline is very light on the ice and quite artistic. This is not to mean that Michelle is not artistic. It's just a very different style.

If I were to compare Caroline's style to someone, it would definitely be Sasha. Although as much as I like Caroline and enjoy her skating, she isn't as polished as Sasha was even at the same age.

I do think Caroline has a stunning future ahead of her.

Dizzy

If I were to compare Caroline's style to someone, it would definitely be Sasha. Although as much as I like Caroline and enjoy her skating, she isn't as polished as Sasha was even at the same age.
? When Sasha was the age that Caroline is now she finished 6th in novices at U.S. Nationals.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Well I would say Caroline is more refined and artistic than Michelle at thirteen but skating has changed a lot in thirteen years,

heyang

Record Breaker
I think that both CZ at age 13 and MK at age 13 have joyful exuberance on ice. I think Dick Button said that MK skates with an open heart and I feel that CZ had that same open heart. CZ's presentation skills are better than MK's at the same age.

R.D.

Record Breaker
GROWTH is the key here. It'll be interesting to see Caroline at 18 and see how she has progressed in five years. I actually feel for her though because I feel she's gonna be expected to fill some rather biiiiiiiiiig shoes here in US skating. That's huge...once you draw comparisons to Kwan, you likely will get similar expectations put on you to fill her shoes. Somehow Kimmie and Emily aren't good enough.