EZ Oscar Picks Coming UP But Best Pic??? | Golden Skate

EZ Oscar Picks Coming UP But Best Pic???

Ladies - Mirren

Men - Whitaker

Director - Scorcese

What you don't agree? Then who?

But What About Best Pic??? That's not easy.

The Departed
Babel
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen
Letters from Iwo Jima

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know that everyone sees this as Scorcese's year, and he more than deserves it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the nod to the Babel director and then either give the Departed best pic or LMS...

I dunno I just get this feeling that they'll not give it to him again this year... but what do I know lol...

I haven't seen any of the movies in the running... I want to see Babel though, just so I can say I saw it... not sure if it's a movie I'll get into though (like Munich last year, I saw it, it's beautifully done, but now it collects dust on my shelf)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't think THAT easy, but more so than in past years.

I am not sure about Director. There are really only 2 choices, Martian should get it because it is deserved and they always robb him him. But they never seem to care and figure they can give a lifetime achievement award, so I am not sure he will. It is not as though the cast of the Departed was hard to direct or anything. Not his most challenging film. I can think of 4 out of the last 8 that he was nominated for that are more deserving even though Departed was good, it is not the best Martian has done IMO - Raging Bull for expl. Now that was a Directors Apex of achievement and admiration.

B A F - Happy Feet - duh.
B P - Little Miss Sunshine (if Scorcese wins Director - Departed if he doesn't)
B Aor - Forest Whitaker
B Aress - Helen Mirren
B S Aor - Alan Arkin, Eddie Murphy or even Mark Walburg. Not easy
B S Aress - Jenifer Hudson or Adriana Barraza
B Docu - An Inconvenient Truth - duh.
B F L F - Pan's Magic Lab
B A S - Departed, but that "Scandal" movie I haven't seen might. ???
B O S - Babel

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Oscars... its the most wonderful time of the year... at least for movie geeks like me...

I do agree that a lot of the picks are easy...

Is anybody even running against Jennifer Hudson & Eddie Murphy? These two already have their names engraved... and the guy from Ernst & Young has already sent out congrats notes to both...

Mirren will win for the Queen (even if Kate Winslet's performance was MUCH MUCH better...)

Whitaker will win for the Last King of Scotland (but of course, his performance would've beaten ANY performance... with the exception of :bow: Kevin Spacey in American Beauty:bow: )

Best Picture / Best Director: The Departed - all the rest were ok, but the Departed was simply awesome... in the truest sense of the word... Toni, I saw Babel... it was two hours of my life I'll never get back... the same for Little Miss Sunshine... wait for the cable release... teehee..

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
B P - Little Miss Sunshine (if Scorcese wins Director - Departed if he doesn't)

Why are you being so mean to me??? That's not even funny.... I HATED that movie... how do you go through all that trouble and then fail to even brush the child's hair??!!??? Again, 2 hours of my life I will never get back... :mad: :disapp: :disapp: :banging:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Why are you being so mean to me??? That's not even funny.... I HATED that movie... how do you go through all that trouble and then fail to even brush the child's hair??!!??? Again, 2 hours of my life I will never get back... :mad: :disapp: :disapp: :banging:

:laugh: Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. It did not hold me for entertainment value but it was a superb film from the "technical / artistic" view. Nothing I liked as enjoyment, but can see the merit. And It is VERY congruent to what happens with Marty getting the BD. If he wins director, Sunshine will likely win Picture. But I would not be adverse - and see the possibility - that Departed might gain both awards.:agree: I would feel happier anyway.

It is all retaliation for not giving me feedback on Eat Drink Man Woman;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:laugh: Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. It did not hold me for entertainment value but it was a superb film from the "technical / artistic" view. Nothing I liked as enjoyment, but can see the merit. And It is VERY congruent to what happens with Marty getting the BD. If he wins director, Sunshine will likely win Picture. But I would not be adverse - and see the possibility - that Departed might gain both awards.:agree: I would feel happier anyway.

It is all retaliation for not giving me feedback on Eat Drink Man Woman;)

I will go rent it tonight... I PROMISE!!! Just as long as no one in that movie puts their kid in a child BEAUTY pagent & fail to brush their hair.... grrrr... yes, I'm a competitive mom... my son always shows up with an extra pair of shorts, shin gaurds and water bottle... (and his hair brushed or braided or in a mohawk... hey, this is my son... nothing so simple has a neat hair cut)

But o/t... I simply loved the Departed... for me, it was the best whodunit / mobster movie EVER...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
But o/t... I simply loved the Departed... for me, it was the best whodunit / mobster movie EVER...

:agree: Definitely up there, better then Usual Suspect IMO.

Eat Drink Man Woman is about 3 daughters and a single father. They all have very different lives and .....well the movie will unfold. It's Ang at his finest IMO. The performances are wonderful, and the "messages" are heart felt and painful at times. The food in this movie alone is a wondrous thing to see - one of the reasons I find Ang's directing in this movie to be some of the best ever. The first 5 minutes is some of the best directing I have ever seen.

eta, if you are in a foreign film mood and want to get a big "dose" of Ang Lee, The Wedding Banquet is a emotional roller coster. Worth the watch too.

Last edited:

kendall

Match Penalty
well, I don't pay much attention to it but I sure Sasha will win silver :rofl: :boohoo:

It's opera season at the Met with City Ballet across the street. I always have good intentions of seeing movie but never get around to it. I'm just crazy about LIVE, LIVE, LIVE. However, I do understand all about those wonderful people out there in the dark.

From what I read, I will make an effort to see Babel, Little Miss Sunshine and enjoy the antics of Whitaker playing that larger than life Idi.

Helen Mirren is my gal for Inspector whatever on PBS. Seen them all and she is just great. Elizabeth II, yeah. but so what?

Anything Matt Damon does is Aok with me, but he's not nominated. The king of the world is. How does one beat the king?

Was it ms Winslett or ms Blanchet that I liked better?

Really sorry about Brad. He's a better actor than most people think. It's getting past those good looks that makes every man feel inadequate. and every woman like well, it would be nice but....he's occupied.

So it goes in La La Land. And don't forget to be there for the pre Olymic Worlds. Everyone will be there. George Clooney, everyone.

Joe

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
My friends keep telling me DEPARTED is very good(I just don't care to see it), but of the movies I have seen I thought LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE was the best. I really enjoyed it. Is it me or the number of very good movies in 2006 are less than 2005.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My movie going hubby and I have not seen much this year - which is rather unusual - so the only movie we can cheer for is Little Miss Sunshine. This has been a dry spell for us indeed. I am thrilled that Enio Moricone who wrote music for Clint Eastwood films - The Good the Bad and the Ugly and other great scores will be picking up a well deserved honorary Oscar.

I am pulling for Helen Mirren as best actress - but then that is a no brainer isn't it?

Tigger

Final Flight
Well, this year I can say I actually saw two movies who are nominated for Oscars, which is more than usual for me as I'm literally in the middle of nowhere. Renting isn't even an option for me, that's how middle of the nowhere I am in. Anyway....I did see The Pursuit of Happyness and Water this year.

Will Smith more than deserves his nomination. I know he won't win it, but he did deserve it.

I also know Pan's Labyrinth will win BFO, but do see Water if you get the chance. It will break your heart.

You know, I was just saying to a friend of ours yesterday that a lot of office pools were being put together yesterday and the breaker more than likely will be whichever film wins for Best Picture. There's been no clear cut front runner like w/the acting awards.

Should be interesting tomorrow night. I can't wait!!! :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anything Matt Damon does is Aok with me, but he's not nominated. The king of the world is. How does one beat the king?

I dunno, the year he was 'king of the world' he didn't win (I don't think he was even nominated for Titanic, was he?)

Really sorry about Brad. He's a better actor than most people think. It's getting past those good looks that makes every man feel inadequate. and every woman like well, it would be nice but....he's occupied.

I agree that he's a better actor than he gets credit for. I was a naysayer for LONG time... but the more I see of his work the more I appreciate his talent.

This Just IN......

Peter O'Toole will win Best Actor

He's been around a lon time, nominated often but never won.

We'll see.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Peter O'Toole will win Best Actor

He's been around a lon time, nominated often but never won.
He has had 7 nominations and a Lifetime Achievement award. There is a lot of doubt that Peter will upset Forest (or even Leo) but we'll see. I haven't seen Venus either.

If you remember Paul Neuman also had a string of nominations but never won. He was given a Lifetime Achiement which he thought was a bit premature.

He got the Oscar a few years later, although the movie itself wasn't as special as say, Hud or Cat, or Sweet Bird, and that other one, Cool Hand Luke. All before the Lifetime award.

Joe

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
If you remember Paul Neuman also had a string of nominations but never won. He was given a Lifetime Achiement which he thought was a bit premature.

He got the Oscar a few years later, although the movie itself wasn't as special as say, Hud or Cat, or Sweet Smell, and that other one, Cool Hand Luke. All before the Lifetime award.

Joe
Yah, It seemed Peter was a little reluctant too.

That is a great point, with that in mind it increases the possibilities for Peter IMO.:agree:

Thanks Joe!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd be really surprised if they gave the Oscar to him... just because it seems that it will go to someone else...

Oscars tend to follow the SAG when it comes to that lol

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
It's interesting to see how the classiest people on this board are the ones posting about the Oscars. :biggrin:

I'm actually a HUGE film buff and want to work in the film industry after I've gotten to the age where my body is not longer 100% for figure skating.

That said, 2006 was a huge disappointment for me in terms of the films. There isn't a single movie that I'd label a masterpiece. The Oscar nominees themselves were even worse:

-BABEL: brilliant in small sequences but a hugely convoluted mess overall

-LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE: very middling, a bit trite in spots and unrealistic in others

-THE QUEEN: a very good, if overrated, performance from Mirren and good dialogue. The plot itself and the way it was presented, however, just did not grasp me strongly. Which sucks because I normally love this type of movie. It's just that the biggest conflict within the film was for The Queen to make a public statement about the sadness over Diana dying which, to me, seems like a no-brainer and I couldn't really relate to her daftness over the matter.

-THE DEPARTED: Supremely entertaining, awesome performances. Just a bit light thematically for me. Easily the best of the nominees.

-LETTERS FROM IOWA JIMA: I haven't actually seen this yet but Flags of Our Fathers was truly DREAFUL. Clint's "Million Dollar Baby" that won a couple years ago was insanely overrated as well. In the end I think I'll like, but not love, it. We'll see.

Anyway, the show is on now! Ellen is doing a good job so far.

~Z