Question About NNN | Golden Skate

Question About NNN

bruinsbr

Spectator
I was wondering... if she had major hip surgery and can't do singles skating, how does her hip hold up landing the throw jumps in pairs? Doesn't she land with much more force in a pairs jump? Is it just that they don't do as many repititions in practice in pairs?

You make a very good point there, but I do think she tried to do singles but it didn't work. Why it didn't, I do not know.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
My guess is she took up pairs skating not becuase of her hip, but possibly because it was too difficult to get all her jumps back and consistent after all the time off.
But I'm just speculating.

heyang

Record Breaker
My guess is she took up pairs skating not becuase of her hip, but possibly because it was too difficult to get all her jumps back and consistent after all the time off.
But I'm just speculating.

I think her growth had a lot to do with it. When she made a big splash and won the silver at nationals, she was very young and her body not developed. She was a teeny tiny baby ballerina. Naomi is a lot curvier than she was back then and that will make it harder for her to jump and complete the required rotations.

Also, there were complaints (on this board via observation and rumors a long time ago) that John Nicks' singles skaters did not have the best jump technique. If she did not learn those jumps correctly at a young age, it would make it harder to relearn the correct technique with a different body.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
landing a triple toe isn't the same as doing 7 triples in a program compleet with belliman spins etc. She was to injured. so she stopped skating. It has been like 5 years later, and then she decide to try pairs. i am sure her hip is healed by now, but it is too late to re-learn everything for singles skating.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do wonder whether her hip problem is part of her problem with the throw 3 loop though-people keep writing that the loop is particularly hard on the hip. Perhaps it is a problem in her mind, even if not with her body?

In any case, .I wonder whether Naomi would be better to try and learn the throw triple flip instead? Higher points, and it might work better for her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I do wonder whether her hip problem is part of her problem with the throw 3 loop though-people keep writing that the loop is particularly hard on the hip. Perhaps it is a problem in her mind, even if not with her body?

In any case, .I wonder whether Naomi would be better to try and learn the throw triple flip instead? Higher points, and it might work better for her.

good thought. She never really landed the loop in comeption. she should try the flip or the toe loop.

megsk8z

On the Ice
A pairs throw is different from, say, a triple toe by yourself. I believe, by definition, pairs throws have to be assisted by one's partner. I've done a little (very little) pairs skating, and it really is much easier to let your partner start you off in an assisted throw than to try to get all the torque required by doing it alone.
Lots of hip saving there.