Would Cohen have climbed to the top if she stayed with Tarasova? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Would Cohen have climbed to the top if she stayed with Tarasova?

soogar

Record Breaker
The funniest part would be Sasha's mortified reaction at being thought of as a delicate little rose... that girl is a lot of things, but I think she's more piss & vinegar than delicate & sensitive... which is much cooler anyway...

I just refuse to believe that competing at this level these athletes are tougher than we'd like to give them credit for because we like the ice princess concept... oh well... the important thing is that we all agree that Michelle is perfect...

Oh, I think Sasha has a lot of piss and vinegar, however the people who put up the toughest fronts tend to be the most vulnerable on the inside.

Michelle was perfect like a mechanical watch. She just kept going and going....

soogar

Record Breaker
"Common knowledge"!? Sorry but WTH??!!? I *never* hear people talk about that when they refer to Cohen's past. I'd assume that if they knew about it at least someone would have mentioned it!! I'd think only dedicated Sasha fans would know about it, but maybe I could be mistaken. I just have NEVER heard about it till soogar brought it up.

I didn't even know that Sasha's parents got divorced until it was mentioned in an Olympic preview article. It was discussed on FSU why Sasha was training in Ct and then flying back to Ca when she was supposed to be training with Robin. When her parent's separation and divorce was mentioned in the article everything started to make sense. Sasha is ridiculed for making excuses for bad performances, however in this matter she has remained silent and still hasn't spoken about her parent's divorce.

I read an interview with Matt Savoie in a Peoria paper and his parents got divorced as well- he didn't speak much about it but did make a brief mention of guilt that [perhaps his skating caused the divorce]. Then he quickly changed the subject. I imagine this is a similar feeling that Sasha has gone through as well. No dount that her mother's involvement in Sasha's skating career had probably weakened the marriage. Skating demands a lot of the parents' lives and not all marriages can survive that strain. Todd E's parents lived separately for a long time as Todd followed Richard Callaghan to various training centers. It's a wonder that they weathered the storm and are still together.

My thought is that her parents' relationship put further pressure on Sasha to perform because you want something good to come out of that loss. At least win an Olympic medal to salvage some of that situation.

RD mentioned that Sasha looked relieved to win an Olympic medal. She was relieved because she had 2 big mistakes and was fortunate that no one else really stepped up to deliver the goods. Imagine how horrible it would have been (for Sasha) if she couldn't get a medal at all.

soogar

Record Breaker
:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:
Mechanical Michelle vs. Poor delicate little Sasha. Psh. She's no more delicate than any other skater. More of a head case, perhaps, but you want emotional? Michelle wears her heart on her sleeve for everyone to see, every single time she skates.If Michelle is mechanical, then I'll take mechanical over "delicate" any day.

Michelle goes from element to element until she hits everything and THEN she wears her heart on her sleeve, which is really just a glorified victory dance/expression.

In performances where she makes mistakes, there is no "heart on her sleeve"- she is entirely devoid of expression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRn9pjbOCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BFYZPuqEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-_-J0oxYT0

Last edited:
WOW!! Thank you!!!

This was the performance where the heel of her boot came off just before she was scheduled to take the ice. Her dad stuck it back on with a six-inch nail and she had to go out there with one one heel an eighth of an inch higher than the other.

Everybody PLEASE click on Soogar's link to see what happened next!

(OK, I'll tell you :laugh:)

Triple loop, perfect!
Triple toe-triple toe, perfect!
Triple Lutz-double toe, perfect!
Triple Salchow, perfect!
Triple flip, perfect!
Double Axel, perfect!
Triple Lutz, perfect!

A seven triple performance, augmented by beautiful, controled spins, a gorgeous Charlotte, nice footwork.

Sleeve, schmeeve, she showed her heart to anyone with eyes to see! :love:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD mentioned that Sasha looked relieved to win an Olympic medal. She was relieved because she had 2 big mistakes and was fortunate that no one else really stepped up to deliver the goods.

It comes to the same thing- that's exactly what I meant. Because she struggled early on and still managed to win something.

BTW- I agree with you about MK. I've only seen TWO performances (we can make that one and a quarter actually) where I've seen her truly "wear her heart on her sleeve." In other performances she just comes across as rather "business-like" to me, just cranking out what she needs to do in order to get the job done. When she makes mistakes, also, she seems to lack that fire.

Last edited:
RedDog, your and Soogar's problem is that you can't see Michelle's "invisible sleeve" where she wears her heart. Only Kwan fans are blessed with this vision.

When Michelle skates, you can see her heart beating within her breast, even as her feet seem scarcely to touch the earth that rejoices to bear her -- seem!, yet the security of her deep edges carve the ice beneath her and bend it to her will! :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
maybe we can't "see" it but can it really be called a 'problem' per se? :p

Last edited:
It's like religion. It would be selfish of me to go to heaven all by myself, so it is my solemn duty to go into all the world and convert the heathen. ;)

emma

Record Breaker
Um, I'm not sure which of the last two MM posts are funnier - both deserve be nominated for the wittiest post awards...:clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the links soogar, always a treat to see the Kween perform.

76olympics

On the Ice
And now for something completely different: Would Kwan still be with us (figure skating wise) if she hadn't gone to Tarasova ? ( for choreography, that is:rofl: )

* Actually, I know the answer . Michelle has been fighting injury for several years now! But, as I see it, Tarasova has a lot to answer for! LOL!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Michelle was perfect like a mechanical watch. She just kept going and going....

:bow: :bow: MICHELLE KWAN :bow: :bow: IS PERFECT!!!

She's perfect dammit!!! She's perfect!!!!:banging: :banging:

(KW snatches up her toys and stomps home... swearing never to play with Soogar again... ) (ok. I really need to take a nap...)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwanford Wife said:
(ok. I really need to take a nap...)
KW, don't come out of your room until you can play nice!!!! :laugh: :clap: :laugh:

Dee