Russian World Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian World Team

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Is Griazev on the outs with the Russian federation or something? I am pretty shocked they wouldnt atleast be sending him this year over the other options available. He was touted as their best future hopefuly only a couple years ago.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Griazev had one good FS this year, at Russian Nationals. He's already been to two Worlds--he was 11th in 2005 (16th in the FS) and 17th in 2006 (bombed in all 3 segments, barely making the cut for the FS). I think the RFSF was ready and willing to give someone else a chance.

Yes, it's possible that Russia could be down to one man next year, but I don't think putting Griazev in there instead of Voronov would make two spots any likelier.

Kasey

Medalist
Griazev has been to 3 World championships, he was 12th in 2004. And he didn't "bomb all three segments" last year, he had a quite clean and respectable long program, in which he made the error of repeating an extra jump. Otherwise he would have been close to, or beaten his personal best. This is also the first worlds without a qualifying round, which had seemed to be a demon for him in the past. But, whatever.

My problem is, supposedly Voronov had been told he would get the slot if he medalled at Junior Worlds. Why even hold another "test skate" for Griazev if it was a done deal? Again, whatever. Congrats to Voronov and Urmanov. But I think top 12 is unlikely for either of the skaters they are sending. We'll see.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Griazev was 10th in the QR, 21st in the SP and 16th in the FS. When 15 skaters finish ahead of a skater in the FS, that skater did not do a "respectable" job IMO. The bottom line is he finished 17th overall, the worst he'd ever done at Worlds.

KLIMKIN did a respectable job, 3rd, 10th and 10th and 10th overall. But Griazev had been expected to do much better than 17th.

Kasey

Medalist
By "respectable"....Griazev's PB is 129 and change for a free skate. At Worlds last year, he earned 121 and change. BUT, he repeated the 3A, 3T and 3F, which meant his 3F-2T combo, which was done well, earned a zero. Add that to his score, and he would have been just a hair off of his PB. That, to me, is a respectable skate.

And the 21st in the short program was the result of a fall on a quad attempt, which also happened in the QR. At least he was trying to push himself technically. Sure, it bit him in the butt. But his technical content last year was at least improved over the two world's appearances prior.

I've seen Griazev LIVE in a few competitions. When he hits his jumps, they are quite impressive. His style, however, is typical Cossack which is standard Russian fare. He can be inconsistent and often. Klimkin in better days, I would consider an artist but, unfortunately his injuries forced him downwards.

Best hope for Russian men at this time, imo, would be Dobrin who cut out the Cossack style and is becoming more of himself. There is also 4 rotations for a quad that looks like it will be consistent next season. He should come to Canada or the US and train with a Russian coach.

Joe

Just read the revised Team appointments. Griazev is OUT and Voronov is IN. Don't know what's behind this, and why not Dobrin?

Joe

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Griazev messed his test skate.
Dobrin messed Russian Cup Final
Voronov was third on Junior Worlds. Suppose he is in better condition now then Griazev and Dobrin.

But I'm sad that the results of Russian Nats mean nothing and that our federation keeps skaters nervous not announcing their decision until the latest moment

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The RFSF is rotten to their skaters. Piseev, head of the RFSF, just said in an interview that Martinova might not be going to Worlds after all--that Sokolova may be going alone. In effect, he said Arina doesn't have the right mindset to go and they will monitor her closely for the next week or so before deciding if she is 'mentally fit' enough to compete.

Can you imagine being a 17-year-old girl and having the leader of your federation tell the media that you are a headcase?

Tesla

Final Flight
That's also a lot of pressure on Sokolova. Doesn't she have to place in the top 10 to qualify two ladies? At least if they send another lady, there is better chance. Ievleva did well in the short at Euros. Send her and give Russia a chance at sending two ladies next year. Otherwise, Sokolova will get the blame.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see why any of the Russian skaters could possibly feel confident of their chances at Worlds, with the head of their federation constantly badmouthing them and threatening to remove them and send others. Piseev's attitude is horrible. It's almost as if he's trying to 'protect' himself from the blame if they don't perform well. But what he's doing is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

He is so bad he almost makes the French Federation look kindly by comparison (and the FF is anything but good to their skaters). They just announced they're not sending any French lady, following Anne Sophie Calvez's test skate.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
That's also a lot of pressure on Sokolova. Doesn't she have to place in the top 10 to qualify two ladies? At least if they send another lady, there is better chance. Ievleva did well in the short at Euros. Send her and give Russia a chance at sending two ladies next year. Otherwise, Sokolova will get the blame.
Not only that, but if you believe that this skater will be coming to many international competitions in the years to come, wouldn't you want her to be seen by judges as much as possible?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ievleva has hardly been seen by any international judges. She had one JGP event in the 2005-2006 season, one this season, and Euros. She just turned 19 and is now too old for the JGP.

Many ladies from other federations--even the smaller ones--have a long list of events stretching over many years by the time they reach 19. Why does the RFSF keep these young ladies away from the competitions they need to help them battle their nerves?

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
This might be a little off topic, but the updated list of Russian skaters scheduled for Worlds has evidentally changed.

Andrei Griazev, Russian National Champion, is no longer on the list. Does anyone know why? ._.

AliasJohnDoe

Rinkside
Andrei Griazev, Russian National Champion, is no longer on the list. Does anyone know why? ._.

Because this week it's Voronovs turn. Next week it's Dobrins. During competition week, it's back to Griazev for the SP. Then they'll bring in Klimkin to do the LP. :laugh: