Starting Spins | Golden Skate

Starting Spins

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
Hey all,

I need some help from you all, I am starting spinning and am having trouble with it, what are some tips that were given to you when you started spinning?

Thanks

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Are you doing a two foot spin or a one foot spin? Usually the two foot spin is the first one that most people learn first.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I assume you're starting with a basic forward two-foot spin. I would focus on lifting and centering over what's going to be your spinning foot (in my case, my right, as I spin clockwise) as I've found that raising my rib cage on that side helps keep me centered. Also, work on keeping your head up and facing forward, not turned to one side or another.

kendall

Match Penalty
Well, it's very simple. To start a spin, you just have to get yourself dizzy first. Most important is, you must control your dizziness at a certain level b/c if you pass out, 911 call will cost you a 1000 dollars OK. Good Luck :agree: :laugh:

mskater93

Record Breaker
That was a completely worthless reply, kendall.

One of the things I was taught was to feel as if I were a puppet and there was a string through the middle of my head and to feel as if that string were pulling me up so I was over the spinning side and my upper body was very straight

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Assuming you're talking about a two foot spin, focus on keeping your feet as close together as you can without your blades fighting a duel, slightly pigeontoed, and sort of towards the heel on one, more towards the toe on the other. If you start 'rocking' too much, adjust in tiny increments until it feels smooth, like you're on ball bearings.
Arms out for balance at first, then s-l-o-w-l-y bring them in, as if you were hugging a beach ball or really large tedy bear.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
thanks you guys, I have skating the next three days and i'm going to work on it, I'M SO EXCITED :rock: I LANDED MY TOE LOOP finally the first single jump, and now from here to lutz it should be smooth sailing hopefully. I'm so happy last night was so awesome.

Yeah I spin clockwise too, leftys rule. It sucks because all three of my coaches are right handed so they have to show me especially how to do it and its harder on them but i'm doing well right now and i'm happy with it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my brother loved learning how to spin... he loves to show it off now lol good luck and congrats on the toe loop!