Here Is Some "Food For Thought!" | Golden Skate

Here Is Some "Food For Thought!"

L

Ladskater

Here Is Some "Food For Thought!"

If Draft Were Reinstated, Who Would Go?

By Cathryn Conroy, Netscape News Editor

Although a bill that would reinstate the military draft is languishing in the House of Representatives, it's been deemed politically dead. Sponsored in the House by Democrats Charles Rangel of New York and John Conyers of Michigan and in the Senate by South Carolina Democrat Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, the bill would dramatically change how the draft works if it ever did Who would go if the draft were reinstated by the Rangel-Hollings bill? All men and women aged 18 to 26 who do not have a physical or mental disability would be required to serve two years in military service; if they were not selected for the military, they would serve two years in national service in a civilian capacity. There would be no exceptions made for those in college, but students still in high school would be allowed to graduate before starting their service. Although the draft was abolished in 1973, almost all men, including male non-citizens living in the United States, are required to register with the Selective Service within 30 days of turning 18.

The Bush administration has dismissed the idea of a military draft, saying it's not necessary since the current volunteer force is working well. But that hasn't stopped Rangel and Conyers. Why? "It has unfortunately become the duty of someone else's child to go to war and die as the privileged evade the tragic consequences of war," Conyers said in a statement reported by Reuters. Joining this very small bandwagon is Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) who told the San Jose Mercury News that a draft is needed to make sure that all segments of society--racially and economically--share the burdens and sacrifices of war. He did admit he doesn't expect the bill will pass.

Ladskater

PS - I thought the US learned about the folly of war from Viet Nam.

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Here Is Some "Food For Thought!"

I think reinstating the draft is not a bad idea, particularly the national service part.

Apparently, President Bush's National Guard tour did not teach him about the horrors of war. US History as taught should include more graphic pictures from the TV coverage of Vietnam. Obviously we have forgotten what a real war is like.

dpp

B

BronzeisGolden02

And, they should definitely teach the part about how the Vietnam soldiers came back and were ignored and treated like people that had done something terribly wrong. That is such a crime to me. It's great to disagree with a war and be a protester if that's your thing, but for goodness sake, don't punish those that were actually moral enough to perform the job they were required to by law. I think that is a big part of the reason so many Vietnam veterans are forever scarred and ruined, my father included. I definitely agree there should be more education about wars. We lightly skimmed over Vietnam in my history courses in high school, and yet it touched and devestated so many lives.

K

Kasey

I doubt that the draft will ever be, or have to be, reinstated.

However, this is something *I* firmly believe in....I think that everyone, when they turn 18 or graduate high school, should have to go through basic training. This is as a 10-year veteran of the US Air Force. Many people will say that the Air Force is probably the easiest of all military branches, as far as our basic training. I'll tell ya what tho....it sure can teach a LOT about maturity, responsibility, respect and work ethic in a short amount of time. I think that there is no young person who could NOT benefit from that kind of challenging training, especially when they go into the job market.

Sorry, I've just worked with a lot of immature, dumb yahoos that would be SOOOO different if they'd had to go through a few weeks of basic!

Kasey

S

Show 42

Having two draft age sons, I have very mixed feelings. As I am sure others feel in my situation, I have tremendous patriotic feelings, except when they include the possibility of my boys being sent somewhere to fight. (this is just a parent's fear, my sons are quite willing to go if called). Strangely enough, my husband said that he wishes he could enlist. He made the comment that it's a shame young men who are just starting out should be called to service, when someone like himself whose lived awhile can't go and serve his country.........42

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Apparently, President Bush's National Guard tour did not teach him about the horrors of war.[/quote]
How could it? He spent most of it AWOL, stoned, and drunk.

L

Ladskater

Interesting thoughts. In the early 1970s I met several "draft dodgers" who were living here in Canada. Quite an interesting experience, I must say. They were definitely against the war in Vietnam and any war for that matter.

Peace, man!

Ladskater

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

draft

There will not be a draft. The enlistments for all parts of the military, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are at 100% or more of the rate they want. However, I think it is a bit disgraceful that some people were mean to veterans or ran way from the draft. If someone is not cut out for military service they will be weeded out during training. I do not think there should be a draft but perhaps a month of basic training every summer for high school kids would do them good.