Boycotting the Dixie Chicks? | Golden Skate

Boycotting the Dixie Chicks?

S

SkatingFantasy

Boycotting the Dixie Chicks?

I heard that the lead singer said somekind of bad remark about President Bush publicly and now some radio stations are boycotting their music because of upset fans. Did anyone catch what exactly she had said? All I know is that it was about Pres. Bush. I'm guessing it had something to do with Bush going ahead with war plans?

S

sk8cynic

Re: Boycotting the Dixie Chicks?

If I heard correctly, I believe they were in Europe on tour, and Natalie what's-her-face apologized and said she was ashamed of our president.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is any genre of music that promotes patriotism, love of land and country, etc., isn't it country music?

Not exactly a great move on the group's part, IMO. I The local country station in Atlanta, Kicks 101.5, made a formal announcement on air that they were throwing out all Dixie Chicks music and would no longer play them on the air.

Doesn't matter to me as their rendition of Landslide gives me a headache.

M

mathman444

I think that the radio stations are wrong about this. It is not unpatriotic to believe, and to say, that our President is misguidedly leading us into an ill-considered and unjust war.

There are patriots on both sides of this issue.

Mathman

H

heyang

This is utterly ridiculous. There are so many actors who are also speaking out against the war and Bush's actions - there haven't been boycotts called against their shows and movies. The group hasn't said anything that thousands of Americans aren't saying.

It also disrespects her freedom of speech which is one of the principles of our country. If she turned out to be an Al Quaeda operative, then she should be boycotted. Ugh!!

Here's a link to understand the brouhaha.
<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2851451.stm" target="top">news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2851451.stm</a>

Here's an official statement that I just copied from the group's website:
Statement from Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks
March 14, 2003

"As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers' lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American."

From the Dixie Chicks with respect to statements being reported in the British media
3/12/2003

From the Dixie Chicks

"We've been overseas for several weeks and have been reading and following the news accounts of our governments' position. The anti-American sentiment that has unfolded here is astounding. While we support our troops, there is nothing more frightening than the notion of going to war with Iraq and the prospect of all the innocent lives that will be lost."

Statement from Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks
March 14, 2003

"As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers' lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American."

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This is utterly ridiculous. There are so many actors who are also speaking out against the war and Bush's actions - there haven't been boycotts called against their shows and movies. The group hasn't said anything that thousands of Americans aren't saying.

[/quote]

Sean Penn was fired from a movie he was working on after going to Iraq.

The difference is that while these people are in a tremendous position of publicity and thus power, they are NOT authorities on world politics, foreign policy, and military expertise. With a position to influence millions, I feel it is wrong to put oneself out there as a leader over an issue when not qualified. That's an ethics violation in my book.

Plus, I have a pretty strong feeling that the majority of Hollywood ( and a majority of politicos and war protesters) aren't so much anti-war as they are anti-Bush.....As I said before, I am a liberal democrat and feel this way, and I'd still like to see Bush out of office. However, I'm certainly glad he's in office right now and not Gore.

Listeners and viewers should stop for a moment and consider the source before taking anyone's word as gospel. For many out there, this is nothing more than a venue to express their sour grapes from the 2000 election, and I'm sorry folks, but a crisis like this is hardly the time or place for this kind of game!

M

Mathman3

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect." -- from the Dixie Chicks' apoplogy[/quote]I disagree, Chicks. One of our greatest freedoms is that we can make fun of the President as much as we want.

Sk8Cynic, I have to say that I think that you, as well as the radio stations that are boycotting the songs, are blowing this thing way out of proportion. Nobody gives a rat's behind about what the Dixie Chicks think about world affairs. (It's not like it was P. Diddy, for goodness sake.)

I think you are giving the Dixie Chicks way too much credit when you say, "With a position to influence millions, I feel it is wrong to put oneself out there as a leader over an issue when not qualified." The Dixie Chicks can't influence my cat -- furthermore, they never said that they were leaders of anything or experts on anything, just giving their opinion that as mothers, they hope that a peaceful resolution can be found.

"Listeners and viewers should stop for a moment and consider the source before taking anyone's word as gospel." They do, they do. I don't think anyone is mistaking the Dixie Chicks for prophets and soothsayers.

Mathman:)

M

mike79

There's no reason to boycott their music. Why can't some people separate the music from the person?

By boycotting the Dixie Chicks it is basically saying that their opinion doesn't matter. Whatever happened to free speech? I believe that every single person has the right to voice their opinion about a particular topic that they feel strongly about. People are allowed to not support the war. Why should they not be allowed to say so?

Something reeks of Joe McCarthy here. America is becoming a land where people's opinions just don't matter. It's this mentality of suppression that sickens me about the Bush administration. It's Bush's job to listen to the people's voice. Now it appears the only voice that he wants to hear is Ashcroft's.

The funniest thing about the entire situation is that these people in office were the same people who protested war in Vietnam. Hell, Bush (and Clinton) were draft dodgers. I was reading a report where right-wing college students supported the war. To see how much these students wanted to back up this war effort they were later told that the draft was being put back in operation. Well guess what happened? Their opinions about going to war did a complete 180 degree turn. They were afriad of being drafted. Surprise, surprise.

Sorry about rambling off topic. I say everyone should go buy more Dixie Chicks albums. Not to mention go see more Sean Penn movies. He's an amazing actor.

4dogknight

Mathman, you stated:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Listeners and viewers should stop for a moment and consider the source before taking anyone's word as gospel." They do, they do. I don't think anyone is mistaking the Dixie Chicks for prophets and soothsayers.[/quote]

It totally agree. As always, you are the voice of reason!

4dk

S

Show 42

My husband is a huge Dixie Chicks fan. I don't think their statement would have caused such an uproar if it weren't for the sensitive political situation the U.S. is currently in.....42

S

sk8cynic

When I referred to influencing millions, I was speaking about the celebrity population as a whole. People may not take to heart what the Dixie Chicks have to say, but actors like Martin Sheen and Mike Farrell may elicit false credibility. I left Fred Thompson from Law & Order out of this - he has the political experience and background that lends a bit more credibility to what he has to say. As for Sean Penn, he may be able to act, but he's a punk in my book.

I'm willing to bet 20 bucks that if Gore were in office and we were in this situation, celebs would be climbing over each other to line up to support the pres. and our troops.

Like I have said before, people not anti-war so much as they are anti-Bush, and they can't see past that to see this situation as it really is.

D

DORISPULASKI

sk8cynic,

You should remember that those same Americans who are against the war in Iraq were 100% behind George Bush on the war in Afghanistan whether they voted for Bush or Gore.

So opposition to the war in Iraq is not just about Bush, although I am sure that those who never liked Bush will be especially loud saying, "See-he's ruining the UN, the NATO Alliance, screwing up the economy, well it's not my fault, I didn't vote for him." It's about wondering whether we will have the next president that the World Court will attempt to have up for War Crimes. It is very hard to believe in someone who wants to attack Iraq for non compliance with UN directives, in opposition to a UN directive.

It is hard to believe that we will win friends and influence people in the Arab world, who repeatably criticize America as Arrogant and uncaring of the ways and opinions of others by attacking Iraq in opposition to almost all other countries. And even in Britain, it is not clear that Tony Blair's government can survive his support of George Bush.

We, as a country, and as you have noted, have ignored a ton of evil dictators who killed their own citizens. The time to go to war is when they start attacking another country. What is different about Saddam Hussein, given that he has not attacked anyone else since Kuwait?
1. He tried to kill George Bush Sr and Laura Bush.
2. He is sitting on an awful lot of oil.

Not good enough reasons to risk the increased terrorist attacks that we will likely see in this country.

Not good enough reasons to damage the UN and Nato.

dpp

M

mathman444

I guess different people have different opinions. Here is one:

"We should not march into Baghdad. To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us, and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day Arab hero...assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerrilla war. It could only plunge that part of the world into even greater instability." -- George Bush, Sr., 1998.

Then spake Rehoboam to the people, saying, "My little finger shall be thicker than my father's penis. And now whereas my father lade you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke. My father hath chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions." - 1 Kings 12:10-11

MM

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

Whatever happened to standing up for what you believe in? I guess when money is involved, that goes out the window.

On the other hand, I understand where they are coming from, even though I don't agree. It gets to be a bit much having the Patriotic Police and the Fascist Attack Dogs going for your neck everytime you say something.

As for being against the war solely because of being anti-Bush, anyone who believes that can just keep telling themselves that. They must think that anyone who can think for themselves instead of automatically believing everything the government tells them is a real threat to America.

D

DORISPULASKI

Mathman, I'm not a biblical scholar, but if I recall, Rehobaum's tough talk and tough doings ended badly, did they not?

dpp

J

Joesitz

There is nothing wrong in the USA to speak out on things one does not like. To dislike Bush or Clinton is what makes a democracy work. The Dixie Chicks have a right to say what they want. Other celebrities do speak out in praising Bush. It may not be what you want to hear but they have that right and you can urge me to boycott the Chicks but I have the right not to boycott them. That is totally my option in the USA. If I lose that option, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE because the times are always changing.

Joe

A

Albert Flasher

Clarification

Yes,the Dixie Chicks have the right of freedom of speech.So does Dr. Laura.But,by the same token,people like me have the right to disaggree with them,and make our voices be heard.And this right also applies to radio station owners who feel strongly about certain issues.Didn't Anita Bryant express her freedom of speech?And didn't millions of critics respond with their opinions?

M

mathman444

Re: Clarification

Hi Alfred, welcome to the forum.

Certainly no one opposes free speech for everybody, even radio station owners. But is refusing to play Dixie Chicks songs an exercise in "free speech," or is it just a silly attempt at curtailing someone else's rights? The owners of radio stations could come on the air with editorials, news programs, interviews -- they have lots of ways to express their opinions. More so than most people do.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Welcome Alfred - There are many dissidents in the USA. That is what it is all about. Dr. Laura supported the status quo as did the Orange Queen and Runner Up Miss America. That's their right. But retorts are also a right. But you knew that.

Joesitz

J

Jules Asner

I think what annoyed the country music fans is this: would the Dixie Chicks have the guts to say what they said in London if they had been in their home state of Texas? or in Tennessee? Alabama, Georgia? Probably not. I think they were just trying to win crowd approval - which is what most celebrities seem to long for - approval.

S

sk8cynic

I heard on the radio they are being referred to as the Ditzy Chicks. Thought that was hilarious. :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: