Advice on coaching change | Golden Skate

Advice on coaching change

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I find myself in a little bit of a dilemma.
My current Learn To Skate coach (who I may or may not get again next cycle) isn't, well, let's say isn't working out.
I have nothing against her, but I really believe I would learn much more and faster with others.
In fact, I probably learn more just from watching some of my fellow students (in other levels).
I'm not the complaining type, and really don't want to get her into any trouble (she hasn't done anything wrong), but I would really like to avoid getting her again when the next class cycle starts in 3 weeks.
Should I try to put in a request with the director - who assigns coaches to the various levels - a request he may or not be able to grant, since he's frequently shorthanded, or just hope for a different coach?
I know I sound like a teenager, but I tend to be pretty direct, but have noticed that there's a lot of very fragile egos in FS, and would kinda prefer not to wound too many of them.....

Maybe you could request a specific coach? That would make it positive, like, oh I really admire this other person's work and I think I could learn a lot from him/her. Instead of, I don't like my current coach.

megsk8z

On the Ice
Maybe if you put it to your skating director as more of a "I think I would learn more if I could get a different perspective from the way other people teach." I know that, even though I love my coach Best Of All, sometimes when she is away we will have a different coach and that makes things fun in a different sort of way. And, honestly, you really do get different things from different people. Even little things, like, "When you do a back camel, swing your arm out to 'present' the spin and you will have better balance and faster speed" or "think of making a number '4' with your legs when going back for your lutz jump," just little stuff. It's your money and as someone that's taken a regular class for, oh about 15 years now, it's always good to couch your request as such and not try to turn it into a personality issue.
It's always good to have different perspectives on the way skating is taught.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
I would approach the skating director, if that is the person who assigns the coaches to the groups - and be honest with him/her. Say that you would like to continue lessons and want to try another group coach next session. Thre's no sense sugar-coating your request - skating directors are not (generally) stupid and can see through your 'niceness'. Honesty with politeness works best.

If you have specific or even non-specific ways that your group lesson could be enriched, perhaps the skating director will be interested. In any event, a good skating director should be monitoring the coaching and lesson planning of all their coaches in order to ensure proper delivery of the course. So maybe the director can drop in on one of your lessons and give the coach some feedback.

Have you tried talking with the coach? Sometimes they are not aware of your instructional needs and are grateful when you speak to them. They are just trying to do the best job with a wide-range of abilities in a limited amount of time. Perhaps the group is too large and maybe you can find a smaller group lesson.

Adults are a rather fickle bunch at times. Some take LTS lessons for something to do and others are dead serious about mastering those skills. Sometimes LTS coaches have to deal with both ends of the spectrum in one class. Often the quiet, shy, nice student that just seems to follow and nod -- is the one that needs more individual attention and specific coaching -- but never indicates their needs, while the louder, awkward, full of energy skater that seems to need your every moment just to stay upright - is the one who is functioning best in the group lesson and probably won't be back next session.

laurenjm

Spectator
:) Have you thought of private lessons, just once a week.?

If thats not possible ask to be tested out to the next level with LTS. Some instructors are more "detailed" than others and will not pass a student along untill they are perfect in a move or skill. Some move you when you "have it" well enough to move forward.

Personally when I was skating I decided very early on to go private. I found it much more rewarding and my skill level moved along at a pace that I found acceptable for the money I was spending.

I also taught LTS after a few years and loved it. Try to find a coach that works with adults the most, some are good and some are ok. Or find a newer coach that is still enthusiastic about teaching.

Priviate lessons are paid by the 15 minutes, so find a coach thats in the $8-$10 range and take a 1/2 hour lesson, you will be surprised how fast you learn, if that does not work find a few other students and ask a coach to teach a small group lesson say 3-4 of you for a discounted price. ASK, you never know what they will say!! No, would be the worst.:)

Good Luck!!

redhotcoach

On the Ice
My 15 min private lesson cost $25.

Does your private lesson include the ice costs, or is that USD$25 for 15 minutes or $100 an hour? Is that for a LTS lesson, or from a top-rated coach?

Maybe we should start another thread about how much private lessons and ice time cost around the world.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
At my rink, private lessons range from $ 16.00 to $ 65.00 per half hour, depending on the coach.
I've thought about taking privates, but my favorite coach no longer works at my rink, I kind of have a feeling that my second favorite doesn't like me, and the Learn to Skate sessions still provide me with plenty of material to practice anyway, plus finding time for private lessons is difficult.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to ask the director about getting a different coach for the next cycle, keeping my fingers crossed that he's even able to accomodate me......

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
I find myself in a little bit of a dilemma.
My current Learn To Skate coach (who I may or may not get again next cycle) isn't, well, let's say isn't working out.
I have nothing against her, but I really believe I would learn much more and faster with others.
In fact, I probably learn more just from watching some of my fellow students (in other levels).
I'm not the complaining type, and really don't want to get her into any trouble (she hasn't done anything wrong), but I would really like to avoid getting her again when the next class cycle starts in 3 weeks.
Should I try to put in a request with the director - who assigns coaches to the various levels - a request he may or not be able to grant, since he's frequently shorthanded, or just hope for a different coach?
I know I sound like a teenager, but I tend to be pretty direct, but have noticed that there's a lot of very fragile egos in FS, and would kinda prefer not to wound too many of them.....

just telling it like it is. im really sure that ur coach is an adult and he/she would understand what u want. if he/she is just getting u just for the money, then its not worth it and its time consuming. im taking that ur probably quite old for skating and just started right? so normally in a club, an adult skater who just started isnt quite as significant as sr. skaters who has a coach that literally takes over the coaching representative at the club. so, if u wanna dump ur coach, just tell it like it is. tell him/her that you dont wanna be with him/her b/c you and him/her is not working and that its nothing again him/her. trust me, coaches could really wrap you around their fingertips. for me, if my coach is losing it, they will be in trouble b/c if i leave, a lot of the other skaters at my club will leave them (dont ask me its just weird. ppl just copy everything that i do and im just not that significant anyways).

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Oh, I'm perfectly aware of the fact that as an 'adult' (??) skater, I am nowhere near as 'significant' as the little girls trying to become regional, national or whatever champions.
That's ok.
Where it gets a little tricky is that these are Learn to Skate group classes, attendance varies wildly -both in terms of coaches as well as in terms of students - and I'm not exactly sure how the director decides from one cycle (or even one week) to the next who gets whom.
Sometimes it goes by level (Basic 1, Freestyle 3, Adult 2, etc.), sometimes it doesn't.
So I kind of have the impression that asking for a specific coach is like asking for snow for Christmas.......
I did really well all of last summer, being the only one in my Adult 3 & 4 classes, when they sort of 'attached' me to more or less corresponding Basic 5-8 classes.
I had good teachers, a lot of fun, and even learned a bunch of stuff (like bunny hops, mazurkas, lunges, ducks, etc.) they don't normally teach adults.
Some of those I actually learned not in class, but from other skaters just practicing.
Meanwhile, the new cycle has started, I got the same teacher I didn't really want, so I'll try to actually learn things from other skaters again, and view the classes as a 'procedure', as Clyde Drexler might call it.....:cool: