Sports bites | Golden Skate

Sports bites

M

mathman444

Sports bites

From today's sports pages:

"<strong>Years later, bitter fan bites back</strong>

George Reilly, a bricklayer by trade, was going about his job quietly this week on a construction site in Corby, central England, when another worker punched him to the ground and chewed off his right ear.

The unidentified attacker whispered "Plymouth" into Reilly's other ear before running off. The victim needed 50 stitches to sew his ear back on and eight more stitches for a gash above his eye.

And what does it have to do with sports?

Go back a couple of decades when Reilly was a soccer player. His attacker apparently remembered he scored the winning goal in Wayford's 1-0 victory over Plymounth Argyle in a 1984 FA Cup semifinal.

"I can't believe someone held a grudge for that long," Reilly said. "I know people have strong loyalties, but this is taking it a bit far.""

Hmmm. I can see it in my mind's eye. Fast forward twenty years. A berserk Mathman leaps out of the crowd and bites international fashion designer Sasha Cohen, shouting, "You had the nerve to beat Michelle at the 2003 World Championships!" Cohen, the 2006 and 2010 Olympic figure skating champion, had long since retired from competition, of course.

But 27 time U.S. Champion Michelle Kwan is still going strong. Skating to excerpts from Eltamina's Tenth Symphony, Kwan recently dazzled the crowd at the 2023 U.S. Nationals, held in Baghdad, capital of the 51st state of the U.S.

Her astonishing performance prompted this response from N.Y. Times sports columnist Rgirl (winner of both the Pulitzer and the coveted Christine Brennen prizes): "I almost think I'm starting to see some potential in this girl."

MM

E

emiC

Re: Sports bites

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>A berserk Mathman leaps out of the crowd and bites international fashion designer Sasha Cohen[/quote]

Human bite carries a high risk for infection. :eek: :eek:

What is rgirl's review on the Eltamina symphony #10?

E

eltamina

MM you are giving me way too much credit. I love the Eltamina symphony #10 though.

MM, the magic # is 9. Beethoven, Bruckner, Mahler, Vaughan Williams, Schubert? and others had never gone beyond this magic #.

Not too many composers (post classical period, Mozart, and Haydn) composed more than 9 symphonies. Most of them died before the 10th one. Mahler dreaded composing his 9th symphony, because he was contemplating his mortality. The opening cello bars of his 9th mimic his irregular heart beat. (According to Lenny Bernstein, and Mhaler died of cardiac complication 3 years after the 9th). Mahler lived to compose the adagio mvt of his 10th. The so called Maher 10th is a one movement symphony. Later some musicologists tried to add more mvts to complete the 10th.

<span style="color:red;font-size:small;">edited to add: today 3/21 is the Bday of JS Bach, Modest Mussorsky, and the great vioilinst Arthur Grumiaux</span>

M

mathman444

Re: Nine symphonies

That's why Haydn is the greatest. He wrote 107 symphonies (including three once misattributed or recently discovered), each better than the one before!

Mathman

K

Kasey

Oh my!

Gives new meaning to the term "Rabid fan"....

Although I would still like to get Scott Norwood in a dark alley for a tongue lashing! (Aka Mr. "Wide right")

R

rgirl181

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Winner of the coveted Christine Brennen prize:lol: :eek: :lol: Perfect touch--Rgirl gets hers in the end! Has to be grateful for a Christine Brennen prize:x :lol: :x

emiC asked, "What is Rgirl's review of Eltamina's 10th Symphony?" Well, Rgirl isn't a music critic in 2023, but that's never stopped her before:smokin:

<em>Eltamina's [so famous by 2023, only has to go by one name] Symphony #10, known as the Deep Edges Symphony, marked a watershed for America's most honored composer. A year ago, even six months ago, who would have thought that a confident and revitalized Kwan would be delivering such a great performance to this mighty work to the sold-out crowd at Bagdhad's Victoria's Secret Center.

Kwan's renewal reflects the same triumph of the human spirit that Eltamina celebrates in her latest symphony. Without dedication, tenacity, and, above all, great edges, Kwan could so easily have fallen by the wayside like so many skaters before her when she passed her 30th birthday.

But Eltamina's music was just the inspiration Kwan needed to skate the new competition format designed by the new head of the ISU, Math Mann. The new format requires that all skaters do all of President Mann's favorite moves and elements again and again until he is tired of looking at them. Mann is also the only judge. This is particularly challenging for Kwan as Mann has stated, "I never get tired of watching Michelle skate." Michelle started her program at 6am last Saturday. At press time, the program was entering its second week, but all indications from President Mann was that Kwan would win the gold, especially after he threw the gold medal to her, which she caught in her teeth as she passed the judging desk doing her change-edge change-direction change-speed change-costume combined with layback spin spiral. Typically, Kwan didn't miss a beat when she bit down on the medal, obviously making sure Mann wasn't holding back on the gold.

Kwan has been displaying a strong sense of musical continuity, confidently and vigorously moving Eltamina's musical drama forward. She skated lyrically in the first movement, loosening up to convey the buoyant energy of the second movement scherzo. The deeper beauties of the third movement were the most effective, with its phrases lovingly shaped not only bu presentation, but also artistry.

The final movement with its great "Ode to Foot Odor'' sung by chorus and soloists turned into a whirling celebration that caught up everyone on ice and off. Kwan soared through the challenges of Eltamina's complex tempo changes and perfectly hit every phrase in the changes from 5/4 to 7/2 to 3/4 to 127/9 time. Kwan skating to Eltamina's 10th has been delivering a ringing affirmation of the human spirit--and several close-up views of Michelle's panties for longtime head of the IOC, Freddy the Pig.</em>

Okay, so it was a combined review of Michelle's skating and Eltamina's symphony, but hey, that's why I've got that Christine Brennen prize:p
Rgirl

E

eltamina

Haydn's symphonies

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>That's why Haydn is the greatest. He wrote 107 symphonies (including three once misattributed or recently discovered), each better than the one before![/quote]

No argument from me that Haydn is one of the greatest. He was blessed with a long and fruitful life, and had trememdous influence in perfecting the genre of symphonies, and quartet. He had a sense of humor with his music.<span style="color:red;font-size:small;">All 107 symphonies, each better than the one before. </span> BTW, his symphony #93 (I call it the f@rt symphony), Shez, William Tell overture, carnival of the animals, Peter and the wolf are must listening for little children IMO.

For a review of a complete set of Haydn symphonies.

www.musicweb.uk.net/class...honies.htm

"There’s a tangible sense of enjoyment – almost a holiday atmosphere – in many of these recordings, which is never more noticeable than in their ‘telling’ of Haydn’s jokes. (These symphonies are riddled with comic effects, varying from silly tricks such as false or wrong-key recapitulations, to rude noises, surprise outbursts and holdings-up of the expected!) Some of Haydn’s outrageous silences are extended, so tripping up even those of us who ‘know’ the silences. In the <strong>slow movement</strong> (nice pun) of No 93 in D major, <strong>the bassoon fart</strong> (I hope the editor will allow me this one, as this is – demonstrably! – Haydn’s intention) is a filthy noise, and not merely a finely-honed unison bottom C, as in so many recordings"

Haydn's other symphonies with humor include of course the Surprise symphony, and I like the clock symphony. It is another one of the childhood memories, I used to bounce up and down all over the house whenever the clock symphony was played.

Last pm, I listened to sym #93, and cello concerto #2

track 1 - 3
www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1070693

For some reason Haydn did not like to experiment with the quintet genre. Mozart wrote some of the best quintets.

I also listened to Mahler's #10 adagio last pm, it is 26 minutes long, probably longer than some of the Mozart and Haydn symphonies.

F

Freddy the Pig 2

Be they red or white or blue,
Be they hid or in full view,
Be they blue or red or white,
Plain or sparkling in the light,

Be they white or blue or red...
Fever coursing through my head,
Fever racing round my brain
Better than the best cocaine,

Hope of heaven, risk of hell
Converge as one in sweet Michelle
And <zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap>.

Freddy

R

rgirl181

My fault, Mathman. I egged Freddy on. I put that thing about Michelle's panties in my post knowing full well he couldn't resist. Don't be too hard on Freddy. He reallly can't help himself and I took full advantage of that. (It was fun though:p )
Rgirl

E

emiC

Pig's brain

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Better than the best cocaine[/quote]

Freddy, I worry about you, cocaine and pig's brain do not mix. I assume you are using cocaine as a CNS (central nervous system) stimulant.

Of course cocaine hydrochloride is FDA approved : local anesthetic for topical use only, just don't inhale it.

Quote: Cecil textbook of medicine 21st ed 2000, p 56 - 7

BIOMOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF ACTION.
Cocaine increases neurotransmitter concentrations at the synaptic terminal by blocking the reuptake of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin and potentiating the release of these monoamines. In the heart, both alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors are stimulated.

Dopamine activates the ventral tegmental-nucleus accumbens pathway, a major component of the <strong>brain</strong> reward system. The system is complex, with at least five dopamine receptor subtypes with distinct molecular and pharmacologic properties. D1 , D2 , and D3 receptors have been implicated in the reinforcing actions of cocaine. Cocaine's ability to block sodium channels in neuronal cells accounts for its local anesthetic actions. Chronic use of cocaine leads to dysregulation of the brain's dopaminergic systems. Possible degeneration of dopaminergic terminals in the brains of cocaine addicts is suggested by positron emission tomographic.

F

Freddy the Pig 2

Re: Pig's brain

This is my brain:

brainmuseum.org/Specimens...ctyla/pig/

This is my brain on drugs:

www.bio.davidson.edu/cour...eptors.htm

Funny you should mention a PET scan. I just had one. "PET," get it? ha, ha.

I am in a special program to clone pig brains for transplates into humans. Can you imaging the potentilities? No more muddled reasoning, no more illogical ramblings. Want to sign up, ha, ha?

(signed) Freddy, aka Sus Scrofus 2

PS. Did you know that the word "scruffy" comes from my name? Not to mention "scrofula" (what do your sources say about that?) The 2 means, I am the next generation of mutant pigs.

E

eltamina

Berlioz and Freddy?

Pix of Freddy's brain on drugs. That is opiate, not cocaine right?

Freddy you are a bit behind, the human composer Berlioz sank into an opium delirium and produced the symphony fantastique.

Scroll down for Berliioz symphony fantastique

www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/clas...over.shtml

I guess that was what you were talking about before MM zapped your message.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Fever coursing through my head, Fever racing round my brain[/quote]

I bet it was every bit as delicous as Berlioiz fantasy and pursuit of Smithson.

BTW who is your Harriet? We know MM will zap everything you write on HS, maybe you can tell us about your fever in the form of music instead? Are you able to match Berlioz creativity, and musicality? I know MK is 10X more attractive and sexy than HS.

PS to add

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>No more muddled reasoning, no more illogical ramblings[/quote]

Ah... pigs call it ilogical ramblings, we human call it inspiration. :D

F

Freddy the Pig 2

Re: Berlioz and Freddy?

Yes, yes, that's just how I feel. Here is a picture of the lovely Ms. Smithson -- how could our poor hero Hector resist?

www.hberlioz.com/Photos/B...otos6.html

And here is what I found out about the music:

"Hector Berlioz (1803 - 1869), Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14a

"Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, whilst one of the most original musical works ever written, is in reality a drug-induced reaction to the composer's intense and unreciprocated passion for an Irish actress Harriet Smithson.

"In 1827 Berlioz saw Shakespeare's Hamlet for the first time. Harriet Smithson - a young girl with a strikingly beautiful face, a moving voice and an enchanting stage manner - was cast as Ophelia. Berlioz immediately fell in love with her: "The impression made on my heart and mind by her extraordinary talent, nay her dramatic genius, was equalled only by the havoc wrought in me by the poet she so nobly interpreted."

"Berlioz visited backstage after one of Harriet's performances in Paris, but she refused to see him; he wrote to her, but his letters were unanswered as Harriet thought them to be simple fan mail. [Is that why Michelle never answers? -- Freddy]

"'I seem to feel her around me; I hear my heart pounding, and its beats set me going like the piston strokes of a steam engine. Each muscle in my body trembles with pain. Useless! Frightening! Oh, unhappy woman! If she could for one moment conceive all the poetry, all the infinity of such a love, she would fly to my arms, even if she must die from my embrace. I was on the point of beginning my grand symphony Episode in the Life of an Artist [as Berlioz subtitled Symphonie Fantastique], in which the development of my infernal passion is to be depicted; I have it all in my head, but I can write nothing.'

"Somehow Berlioz snapped out of his lovesick lethargy. Within a year Symphonie fantastique had received its first performance (5th December 1830). Its published program revealed Berlioz's unrequited love and everyone in Paris music circles quickly deduced that Harriet Smithson was the object of Berlioz's passion. But Harriet remained quite unaware of this. [Oh, unhappy woman indeed -- did you get that part?]

"The five movements of Symphonie fantastique are:

"Reveries, Passions. The vivid dreams and nightmares of a young musician. He falls in love with a woman...recalls his joys and depressions before her arrival...imagines moments of fury, jealousy, despair and tears...and the consolation of serenity in religion.

"A Ball. The music portrays the tumult of a party where glimpses of the musician's beloved again disturb his peace of mind.

"Scene in the Country. The rural tranquility, in which two shepherds are playing a melody to call the cows, provides the musician with unaccustomed calm - until his beloved appears, provoking anxious questioning. One shepherd again plays his pipe, but this time there is no answer. As the sun sets there are distant sounds of thunder...then silence and loneliness.

"March to the Scaffold. The musician, drug-affected, has horrible dreams he has killed his beloved, is solemnly led to the scaffold, and witnesses his own execution. The moment before the axe falls, his beloved appears.

"Dream of a Witches' Sabbath. The musician sees himself at the witches' Sabbath where ghosts, sorcerers and monsters have assembled for the funeral. His beloved's melody again reappears - but this time as a trivial, grotesque dance tune. The work ends with a death knell and traditional hymn of the Day of Judgement."

Well. OK. Yes, I will try to match Berlioz' passion with a little song of my own. But I am more of a librettist than a composer. So I had to borrow the tune. So my homage goes like this:

Little White Boots

by Freddy

(To the tune of Little Brown Jug)

Ha, ha, ha! Hee, hee, hee!
Little White Boots how I love thee!

>zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz<

L

Ladskater

But 27 time U.S. Champion Michelle Kwan is still going strong. ? I think even Kwan might be a little "long in the tooth" by then!

Ladskater