Votes: 11 3.8%
  • others

Votes: 36 12.3%

• Total voters

stevlin

On the Ice
Plushenko's knees

i think it is hard to plushenko to win the match,though i like him very much~~

Didn't Plushenko have surgery on his knees recently? I hope he stays at home , he has already won an Olympic gold medal. I'd rather see someone win it who hasn't already won it. Also I hope Yags stays home too.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What about Mishin's young student Artur Gachinksi. He just turned 14 and he already has the triple axel. Plus, with Mishin as his coach, he's more than likely to get the quad amongst other things. He won't be eligible for the Olympics, but I think he will be a factor.

denkenney

Spectator
Don't count out johnny

With Johnny Weirs new focus. I he can get that quad, he will be right up there in 2010

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I voted for Brian Joubert as he's my fav:bow:, but it's really hard to know who's gonna win. Here's my annalysis:

Brian Joubert: The olympics come at the right time of he's carriere, the time when he'll be at his technical and artistic best. Artisticly he's got Yagudin-style pontential, but doesn't tend to bring it out, although since he's started working with Kurt browning, he's starting to open up, and this year's SP is a masterpiece. I hope he continues to open up artisticly and that he'll he'll come up with programs that really suite him, but if he doesn't, he'll suffer on componants against Lambiel and Takahashi. Mentally he's stronger, but he's still prone to stress. Technicaly, his jumps are perfect, he just needs to make his quads more regular, his spins and footwork are getting better.

Stépahne Lambiel: One of the most complete skaters. Artisticly, he's the best, but he should try and innovate more and work with different choreographers to and more to his artistry as not to bore us by 2010 with too much of the same. In that respect his Flamenco program is great. Jump wise, he's got a solid quad, a tatrumous triple axel and some very good other jumps, but he needs to gain in regularity. His spins and footwork are both artisticly and technicly brilliant assuring him a minimum amount of points. This is important as Stephane is, mentaly, a very fragile skater and he rarely does a clean LP

Daisuke Takahashi: Definitly a serious contender. Artisticly, he has flare like Stéphane Lambiel, but doesn't always brign it out. Technicly, there's not much to say, he's great at everything. Mentaly he's very strong too, so I really believe he'll be at least a medalist in 2010.

Thomas Verner: This guy's capable of anything, the best and the worse. He's got a lot of work to to artisticly because, although he's very good, he isn't as good as those mentioned previously, but is capable of it. A special mention for his footwork and his jumps are pretty cool too. I think he needs to gain in maturity if he wants to be a serious competitor and not just a wild card.

Evan Lysacek: Mentaly, h'es stable. But to be quite honest, I think he's a bore and I'm not sure the judges would willing give him a medal unless the others skate really bad. His tendacy to be a little arrogant plays against him though. (Mind you, Plushenko was even more arrogant when he was young, and now he's olympic champ)

Jeffrey Buttle: Lately he hasn't been as mentaly solid as he used to be. Artisticly, although I personaly really hate his style, he one of the best rated skaters. Technicly, he's got good spins and footwork but his jumps aren't so good. They're not awful, but still need working on. Jeff needs to take more risks though.

Johnny Weir: I really love this skater, but he's very irregular and cable of the best and the worst. If he progresses and skates probably, he really stands a chance of getting a medal, but he really needs to gain in regularity and needs to land the quad.

Then one has to take into acount the apparent return of Plush and Yagudin.

Plushenko needs to get bake into shape.
Yagudin needs to get his quad back and adapt to the new system, which won't be easy for him.

Here's the podium I wish for:
1 Brian Joubert
2 Alexei Yagudin
3 Tomas Verner

nippponophile

Rinkside
Daisuke all the way!!!

Even post-2008 Worlds result, my vote is for Daisuke Takahashi. He already has the talent, such a complete skater, but the next two years will be a good chance for him to gain more experience in dealing with the pressure that comes with the expectations placed on an predicted gold medalist rather than that placed on merely a contender. He has demonstrated the ability to upgrade his skills and to re-invent his style with interesting routines time and time again. He also has the humble demeanor that only true champions have. My ideal medal podium for Vancouver would have Daisuke getting the gold, Stephane the silver and perhaps Jeff or Takahiko Kozuka the bronze.

stevlin

On the Ice
Buttle

I don't know if he could get the OGM but I would LOVE to see him on the podium because his skating is so beautiful:)

I would love to see Jeff Buttle win the Gold Olympic medal. Heck, he just won the Worlds gold medal . Plus he is going to work hard on getting that quad now. If he gets the quad jump down and with all his level 4 spins and footwork, he very well could win. He is such a classy skater and cute too. Judges like him, he is humble, down to earth, sweet guy.:rock:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Even post-2008 Worlds result, my vote is for Daisuke Takahashi. He already has the talent, such a complete skater, but the next two years will be a good chance for him to gain more experience in dealing with the pressure that comes with the expectations placed on an predicted gold medalist rather than that placed on merely a contender. He has demonstrated the ability to upgrade his skills and to re-invent his style with interesting routines time and time again. He also has the humble demeanor that only true champions have. My ideal medal podium for Vancouver would have Daisuke getting the gold, Stephane the silver and perhaps Jeff or Takahiko Kozuka the bronze.

I agree with you. If Daisuke improves in his spins (like Stephane's!) and quads (like Joubert's!) and dealing with his nerves (like Plush's), then he'd be unbeatable. What I like about him is his artistry. While I like him skating to dramatic, sensual music the best, he is capable of doing a lot of different things, too. So exciting to watch. If he can deal with his nerves (this is the biggest one and I am not so sure), he would be the very favorite.

I feel that Takehito Kozuka might be a bit too early to get on the podium considering his limited experience in senior. But I feel that he has a great chance in 2014.

I also would like to see Jeff on the podium again. I hope that he keeps his amazing clean skate that he did at Worlds. It was really magical. Something magnificent happened to him. What was it, Jeff? You had a tremendous transformation during a few weeks after the 4CC. I heard that he had so many clean programs in his practices that he didn't feel that he could make any mistakes.
I am honestly not so certain if Jeff could keep having clean programs or incorporate a quad because Jeff had been rather inconsistent in his jumps most of the times and had trouble with the quad.
But he proved that he had a great chance shooting the Olympic medal again if he is clean. It might be the case that the increased muscles and longer practice time that he had during the summer have finally shown their effects.
I hope that he could keep his consistency in lutz and 3A and will get fairer PCSs that he has surely deserved. If he could have a consistent quad on top of these, it would be magnificent for him.
I also hope that he won't get too nervous skating at home. He is a sincere person but I hope that he won't feel too much responsibility to please the home crowd.

I am not quite sure if Stephane stays in amature skating. But if he does, I would love to see him on the podium.

Johnny is getting better, too. I think that he still needs to improve a bit to get on the podium without relying on others' failures. But it would be really beautiful if he gets bronze or silver.

I actually think that Tomas may have the biggest chance. He is a rising star. I feel that he'd be mentally strong by nature although he happened to meltdown here and there this season. But once he gets used to skating at big competitions, I think that he's going to be very difficult to beat. He has everything, except for the edge call in flip. His edges quality in his basic skating is simply amazing. I also love his wonderful spins and fabulous steps on top of great jumps.

Last edited:

wonssoyou

Rinkside
Jeff buttle !!

He is already perfect (Except just only one - quad)

If he will succeed in Quad, no one is able to defeat him. :agree:
Jeff is really really working hard for it,
And He will succeed.

Go, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck :rock:

Last edited:

icedance21

Rinkside
I think Brian Joubert is probably the most consistent skater and has the best chance of winning the Olympics, as long as he doesn't downgrade any of the difficulty within his programs like he did at 08 worlds. Daisuke Takahashi and Stephane Lambiel both have great chances if they don't fall apart.

moviechick

On the Ice
If Plushenko returns and isn't crippled, I would count him on the podium. The audience knows and likes him, the judges obviously like him if the previous Olympics are any indication; I think he could do it if his body is up to it. The only thing I'd question is his motivation. I mean, even if his 2006 Olympic performance wasn't exactly "WOW"-worthy and he was miles ahead of his nearest competitor, he was still chasing that one title he didn't have. Now that he has it, who knows.

The men's field right now is kind of all over the place. I think it's the first time in a while since there wasn't a real "favorite" or "co-favorites" as in 2002. Many of them have the potential to win if they can hold it together. No one seems to be cranking out good performances consistently though. It all comes down to that one night.

I can't see a guy winning Olympic gold without at least one quad in the whole competition. It probably won't be the endless quad-fest that was Salt Lake City, but unless a lot of people screw up (which I guess is possible), they should get that quad ready.

EvgeniRocks

Rinkside
Hello to you all. :)

IMO, Evgeni will win another Olympic medal if he is physically able to compete by 2010.

Given the absolutely bleh performance in Torino, he may want to make up for it and try a comeback to show he can still do his boyish show-offish style. I have no qualms about his return except he may be hindering another young Russian skater from making his mark.

Joe

EvgeniRocks

Rinkside
Given the absolutely bleh performance in Torino, he may want to make up for it and try a comeback to show he can still do his boyish show-offish style. I have no qualms about his return except he may be hindering another young Russian skater from making his mark.

Yes, I know a lot of people were underwhelmed by his Torino performance, but I liked it. That is not to say it is my favorite by him, but I still think he deserved the gold because he was the best there. No offense, but to me it is a bit ridiculous to suggest he "may want to make up" for what scored him 1st place in 2006. He is a two-time Olympic champion whether anyone agrees with the judges or not, so there isn't anything he should feel bad about in regard to his accomplishments - nor do I believe he does or that he lacks confidence in his skill. Evgeni has commented he wants to demonstrate he still has what it takes, but I suspect he would laugh if you said to him his motivation in going to Vancouver is to "make up" for Italy.

As for his "show-offish style", you know what they say: if you've got it, flaunt it. Obviously he flaunts it well because his record speaks for itself. ;)

I've never considered the Games to be something where athletes are allowed to take turns participating simply because they know how to skate or do whatever it is they do, I've always thought it was about them having the privilege of competing because they represent the highest level of excellence in their speciality. If Russia has someone in the wings who they feel could outperform Evgeni in the 2010s, then it would seem logical they would allow them to go instead.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I hope Lambiel will keep competing and I would like to see him as a winner, he is so complete artistically and he is very capable of anything, he lacks maybe seld confidence for his jumps, Weir would be nice to reach the podium and I like Verner a lot, and maybe in two years time someone new will pop, who knows!
I r e a l l y dont think so you can tell the Plushenko's performance in OG bleh, of couse it is a personal opinion but some objectivity must be met, no?He has done better performances of Godfather (like 2005 Euros), he was not at all passionate and sacridied his choreography but I remember the mess of the whole final and I think he still seemed an oasis!
And I also do not understand the show-y boy-ish description of his style, firstly he was too young (1998-16 years old) when he started big competitions and since 2002 (when he was 20) he has changed a lot, Tribute to Nijiinski is boy-ish?Or St Petersbourg program? As for the show-y maybe people have a different perspective considering how they watch FS, it is not a sport that excludes entertainment of the audience (if someone can do 1000 quads and spins and makes people feel bored and empty what is the use of FS?), for me show-y are the performances that remind me of Tom Cruise on Mission Impossible No2, like Holywood block busters, still I understand that it is personal aesthetic each skater's style.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
He has two, unless you discount the silver he won in the 2002 Games.
You are aware that "Olympic title" actually refers to winning the event, right? Because based on the medal=title logic, Michelle Kwan has two Olympic titles (I'm sure she'd love to have them in reality).