VANCOUVER 2010 | Golden Skate

VANCOUVER 2010

S

sk8tngcanuck

VANCOUVER 2010

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is thank goodness I have 7 years to save up... its going to cost me a FORTUNE!

N

nymkfan51

Re: VANCOUVER 2010

Congrats sk8tngcanuck ... how wonderful for Canada!!!
I know the Canadians will put on a great show!!!

L

Lcp88

That'll be great for all the Canadian and American Skaters since its so close. Anyone have a link with ticket info/prices?
Laura

J

Joesitz

sk8ingcanuck - Great news and a great city!

If one save's a dollar a day; that's $365 x 7 years that's #2555. That should be enough for all ticket figure skating. But there is tranportation and hotel expenses and food and drink bills.

It's a lot to think about, but worth it because it'll be a one-time thing to remember.

Joe

T

tharrtell

I might save up for this one too. I've aways said I will go, at some point, to the Olympics. I think Vancouver will play a great host to the games. Darn good thing they won, too - Salzburg was the major competition from what I read, and
Saltzburg's theme was The Sound of Winter Sports. Ugh. I get it, but yeeeaaaach!

E

eliza88

Great news for Canada! Vancouver should be great!! I will be veeeeery tempted to go since I live in Seattle (thought I might have to take the suggestion of saving $1/day!!). They had the 2001 Worlds at GM Place and it was FANTASTIC!! I wonder if they will have the skating there again or opt for a larger arena.

LAD--isn't this in your backyard??

eliza88

S

sk8ing lady2001

I'm so happy Vancouver got it. Hooray! :D

K

Kara Bear

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm going to the Olympics. Its clear across the country, but thats close enough for me!

K

KwanFan1212

Sounds like its time for a road trip.......gotta start saving now! LOL :lol:

Congratulations to Canada and I can't wait to see what you all have up your sleeves for the Olys 2010!! :D

J

Joesitz

My experience in trying to get SLC tickets proved futile. My advice to all those contemplating going to secure tickets at the first moment they go on sale. Don't count on the best seats. they are already taken up by VIPs.

So keep an eye on the opening sale of tickets. If you can't make it I am sure the ticket(s) will be easy to resell.

Oh, yes... Check out the Tours. A bit more expensive but pretty much a decent seat and hotel room.

Joe

L

Lanechka

Woohoo! I'll have just turned 24 when 2010 rolls around, so maybe I could go since our family's plans for SLC were messed up. :D

B

Bleuchick

Bleuchick - looking forward to experiencing what she missed in Vancouver(worlds 2001).

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Hmmm... I will be 49--I find that hard to say. :eek: :eek: :eek: E. (aka RG Jr.) will be 15 1/2. I find that just as hard to say. :eek: :eek: :eek: Vancouver might work out very well for us if we can get tickets.</span>

R

rachelstarlet

Yay for Vancouver! I'm so excited. I live in Seattle but who knows where I'll be then (I'll have just turned 25), hopefully close enough to at least roam around the city hoping to spot athletes. I dunno how I'll have enough $$$ to pay for tickets, since I'll be knee-deep in school loans by then. Maybe I can get a volunteering gig!!! Anyone know any info about that?

J

Joesitz

I tried volunteering for SLC and DC. There are scheduled meetings on days before the opening so you will have to be in Vancouver at least a week before. For the Olys, you do not have a choice to be involved with any particular sport. The host country will look for local volunteers first. Careful, some volunteer positions do not allow you to see the contests. Best bet for seeing the competitions as a volunteer is to be an ice sweep (teenyboppers picking up the teddy bears and flowers) which requires skating ability.

If you live in Vancouver or can stay with someone for a couple of weeks think about volunteering but be sure you are not working during skating comps.

By the Way, Opening and Closing Ceremonies are separate costs.

Main thing for most of us is to figure out how to see the entire figure skating events on TV - not just the top 6 usual suspects.

Any chance for Pay TV for Torino?

Joe

N

nymkfan51

Joe, doesn't Canadian TV show alot more of the competition?
I had heard that somewhere. A friend and I were actually thinking of driving north for the 2006 Oly and staying in a hotel that gets CTV. Okay ... how nuts is that! LOL

T

tharrtell

I'll watch cross country skiing - I like that endurance stuff. I think it'd just be fun to be there and soak up the atmosphere. Downtown SLC looked like a blast - and I don't think you needed tix for that - just being part of the Oly spirit. I will have to start saving now, though, because nothing about the Olympics is reasonably priced!

J

Joesitz

nymkfan - I do think Canadian TV will show more of competitions involving Canadians and in general more figure skating than we get from good ole ABC. But when you think about it. 2010 is a long way off yet. I have high hopes for the Ice Cable TV to come into existence. My main question still is what about Torino? Will Ice Cable be ready? No matter how much one pays for a cable link for skating, it will be a lot less expensive than a trip to expensive Italy (although, I would love to see Torino and the Italian Alps!).

Thartell - Indeed! The ambience of being there is overwhelming.

Joe