2007-08 U.S. team envelopes announced | Golden Skate

2007-08 U.S. team envelopes announced

Sylvia

Record Breaker

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
And if skaters get Team A funding, the USFS can block their release for four years should they decide to skate for another country.

Nice to see Megan Oster on the list. She is arguably, the most beautiful figure skater in all all the world. She would easily fit into that Alfred Hitchcock mould.

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
Yepeeeeeee

Poor Rachel get pused down to team C. That doesn't sound good. No doubt she wil only be skating in JGP events.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Hmmmm...I'm surprised Flatt is not higher - on the B team. I'm also surprised to see Oster on Team B and Zukowski in reserve....any thoughts?

flying camel

Medalist
Yea, that does seem really low for Zukowski. I guess she missed the criteria for the other envelopes. But it does seem wrong. Didn't she beat oster at nationals?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I thought Derrick Delmore retired?
No, If he had officially retired, he would not be listed in team C at this time. BTW, Delmore is scheduled to perform in a new skating musical called "Cold As Ice" for a month-long run starting this month -- for more info: http://www.gatewayplayhouse.com/2007/coldasice.html

No doubt she [Rachael Flatt] wil only be skating in JGP events.
:confused: That's not a bad thing. Skating in the JGP is a good way for someone young and up-and-coming like Rachael (who missed the JGP last season, remember?) to gain valuable ISU ranking points, as well as possible medals and prize money.

Hmmmm...I'm surprised Flatt is not higher - on the B team. I'm also surprised to see Oster on Team B and Zukowski in reserve....any thoughts?
The envelope criteria was followed for these skaters -- see the criteria link posted above. Oster won the bronze at the JGP Final last December and that meets the B envelope criteria even though she placed one spot (11th) behind Zukowski (10th) at '07 Nationals.

Zukowski and Geoffry Varner were placed on the Reserve team because they were in Team B last year -- usually A & B skaters who plan to continue competing are retained in the envelope system the next year even if they do not meet the A-C envelope criteria.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see any problem with Rachael Flatt skating in JGP events. Look what that did for Caroline Zhang! Rachael can generate those high scores too, and win medals just as Caroline and Ashley did. The following year, when she will be eligible to skate at Worlds, she can skate in the GP.

gio

Medalist
She sure can win medals at JGP. I never liked Junior competitions, but this year, the competition was non competitive. I don't see next year being more competitive. The Americans are the only one with junior talents. Japan, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, China, Ukraine have nothing. It's clear that even a mediocre one (say three triple jumps, but clean) can win a medal there. I looked at the jumps Rachael does and I must say that she would probably beat every one besides Zhang, Nagasu and Wagner (who are Americans themselves).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Flatt could beat Wagner--in fact, Rachael beat Ashley at 2006 Nationals, Juniors, where Rachael was 2nd and Wagner was 4th.

But I think Ashley will be skating in the GP this season, so they may never meet up head to head until Nationals.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I don't see next year being more competitive. The Americans are the only one with junior talents. Japan, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, China, Ukraine have nothing.
And you know this for sure because? ;)

I've heard there are some promising Japanese girls (novice this past season) coming up, and perhaps one from Germany as well. The JGP is about developing and refining new talents, and you just never know who might "make a splash" in their first year...

gio

Medalist
And you know this for sure because? ;)
I've heard there are some promising Japanese girls (novice this past season) coming up, and perhaps one from Germany as well. The JGP is about developing and refining new talents, and you just never know who might "make a splash" in their first year...

Are you sure that the Japanese aren't too young for next season? But who is the German girl?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you sure that the Japanese aren't too young for next season?

Yuki Nishino, who won the Novice event at Mladost with a total score of 135, is 13, old enough to skate in the JGP. She will turn 14 in October.

Nishino's score at Mladost would have won gold at any of last year's JGP events except Mexico and Taipei, where Caroline Zhang skated. She would have beaten both Wagner and Oster at their events. Nishino's Mladost score would have placed her 4th at the JGPF.

Nigel

On the Ice
I think Flatt could beat Wagner--in fact, Rachael beat Ashley at 2006 Nationals, Juniors, where Rachael was 2nd and Wagner was 4th.

But I think Ashley will be skating in the GP this season, so they may never meet up head to head until Nationals.

Flatt beat Wagner and Zhang as Juniors in 2006. And as Novices as well.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Nice to see Megan Oster on the list. She is arguably, the most beautiful figure skater in all all the world. She would easily fit into that Alfred Hitchcock mould.

Joe

Well she's quite lovely, and a beautiful skater to boot, but I don't think I'd put her on the list of mos tbeautiful skaters in the whole world.