Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Mai Asada

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

morninglight

On the Ice
I voted multiple people.

1. Sasha (No question about it! She is brilliant)
2. Caroline (Impressed by her Charlotte position!!!! Her edges are great, too)
3. Shizuka Arakawa (Y-spiral without hand. Just incredible)
4. Shawn Sawyer (amazing flexibility as a man)
5. Mirai Nagasu (great stretch)
6. Mai Asada (simply elegant. beautiful back, long legs & arms)

Although not in the response options, I also wanted to vote Carolina Kostner. She was very elegant in her SP music and costume (esp. in the European Championship:) ). Very long legs and arms and nice extension.

I would also like to vote Mao. Like her sister, she has balletic positions which shine in her elegant SP costume.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
1. Sasha - her classic spiral and that backward 3turned I-spiral is unbelievable. All her other variations are also listed under 'flexibility' in Oxford dictionary.
2. Caroline - great limberness on her classic spiral, but she drops her upper body too low. Somehow it doesn't look as good as Sasha's. Caroline also has like ZERO expression during her spirals (at least Sasha smiled and looked at the audience).
3. Mirai - A lot of speed in her spiral sequence (something Caroline needs more of). Her classic spiral reminds me of that of Michelles; great back position, better and higher than Caroline's (like Sasha's I guess), and leg almost in a split.

Mao Asada, Shawn Sawyer, and Tamar Katz receive honorable mentions. These skaters also have amazing spirals. Anyone know who they are??

http://i7.tinypic.com/6g8lwyc.jpg - it's practically better than Sasha's!
http://i2.tinypic.com/6bkbodl.jpg - it's a split and a Biellmann in one position!
http://i9.tinypic.com/66a87e9.jpg - Low back, but great position overall.
http://i4.tinypic.com/4v61ro3.jpg - Wow.

Last edited:

DaveT

On the Ice
I see the results have Sasha in the lead so far, so that leads me to believe we are judging spiral positions only, not the whole spiral, correct? We are exempting anything that happens with the feet, right?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I see the results have Sasha in the lead so far, so that leads me to believe we are judging spiral positions only, not the whole spiral, correct? We are exempting anything that happens with the feet, right?

Probably. But then, that seems to be what the average skating fan judges spirals on, too. I still cannot understand how people can claim that sasha has "by far" the best spirals. Above the ankles, perhaps, but not below. She'd be lucky to make the top ten if people actually watched what ber blades do.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Probably. But then, that seems to be what the average skating fan judges spirals on, too. I still cannot understand how people can claim that sasha has "by far" the best spirals. Above the ankles, perhaps, but not below. She'd be lucky to make the top ten if people actually watched what ber blades do.

:laugh::laugh:

To me, Michelle is the only one that fills the building to the rafters with her spiral.

( She can take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhiral...) :)

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I really like Joannie Rochette's spirals, she's not the most flexible skater but she hits nice positions and dosn't try to force her body into positions that it can't do. Her spirals look easy and sophisticated. Carolina has georgous spirals as well.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I think the second on is Fleur Maxwell

Fleur has great flexibility but the one thing that bothers me about her spirals is that she seems to pull her hip out of alignment and it looks odd from some angles. But in terms of sheer bendability, she can't be beat. Her speed and edging are adequate but not outstanding IMHO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I voted for Sasha of course, but Caroline is very impressive too. Sasha has better posture in her back though and the way she points her toes and streches down to her fingertips can not be surpassed.