Do you think we should go to war in Iraq?? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Do you think we should go to war in Iraq??

J

Jules Asner

Re: Re:Is this Iraq? or can I voice an opposing opinion?

I agree guys -- I am not Pro-war or Pro- Bush (or anti-Bush) but I think it is important to look at this from all perspectives. Are oil companies in the US and Bush frothing at the mouth over oil prospects? -- probably -- but are Russia and France innocent and so concerned about the people in Iraq? I don't think so. (and by this I mean their governments, not the citizens of France and Russia).
Let's face it, war is a lose-lose situation and I do think every possible alternative thing should be done before it comes to that, but I do not think France, Germany and Russia are helping matters either, they too have their own agendas ($$$) that have nothing to do with concern for Iraqi children.
and ITA, the whole "old europe" "new europe" thing is ridiculous.

The original war in Iraq started not because of Saddam's human rights violations on his own people, but because he invaded another country which was under UN protection. Not because of oil. If you let people invade countries a do nothign about it - like Hitler - they will just keep going and continue getting stronger until somebody finally stops them or until they take over completely. In Afghanistan women's rights groups were campaigning for years for governments to help the crisis there for women -- but nobody did anything and many thought it was none of our business and that's they way they want to live and we have no right to bring our western ways there -- but when the Taleban was removed the people were dancing in the streets, brought out hidden makeup, tv's, cds etc. (music was one of the many things banned by the taleban) -- and until Iraqis are able to speak without one of Saddam's men standing next to them to make sure they don't say anything out of turn, we really won't know what they truly want.

Saddam is not the kind of guy who wants to go out quietly - during the gulf war when he knew he was beat he caused grave environmental damage - on his own people. He is not a sane person. I think the rush to war has more to do with weather and trying to beat Saddam before he has a nuke, than it has to do with getting oil quicker -- Iraqi scientists have said that Saddam wants at least one nuke so that if he goes down he can take some people with him - go out with a bang - who knows who he would use it on - Iraqi's, Iranians, Kuwaitis? Israel, Turkey? Russia? or perhaps he would find someone to transport it somewhere else. it is vitally important that the UN keeps putting pressure on him and keeps up on his activities and tries to get him out of office.

who to replace him? it really should be up to the Iraqi's/Arab community, but will it be? the UN and west would most likely want to put a stable more democratic government in place. It is going to be a very messy situation for a long time to come.

J

Jules Asner

www.frontpagemagazine.com...sp?ID=6252

here is another good article that tries to look at both the good and the bad side.

while on the website, another good article - dated 2/20/03 is called "appeasing hitler and saddam" the writer was alive (an adult) before WWII and recalls the way things were in Europe before WWII and the striking similarities to things going on today regarding reactions from Britons and French in particular.

S

Shallah.K

interesting article

<strong>This ain't 'Crossfire'
'Euroweenies'? ' EUnuchs'? Is this helping the debate?</strong>
www.workingforchange.com/...emID=14532

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Before we all work ourselves into such righteous snits we can't even talk to one another anymore, let's see what we can agree on. Wanting to get rid of Saddam Hussein does not make anyone a bloodthirsty monster or a tool of the oil companies. Being worried to death about the consequences of invading Iraq does not make anyone unpatriotic or in favor of Saddam Hussein.

Whether ‘tis better to kill the snake or leave the snake alone, that is one question. But the question we're stuck on now is whether there's a better choice. Some of us think containment can work, and the reason we think so is because it already has. <strong>More Iraqi weapons were destroyed by U.N. inspectors in the ‘90s than were destroyed by the Gulf War. Why not see if it will work this time? What about a U.N. resolution saying, "Any place Saddam Hussein doesn't let the inspectors go into gets bombed immediately"?</strong>

The president did an unfortunate disservice to the cause of reasonable debate Tuesday when he said of the worldwide demonstration against the impending war: "Some in the world don't view Saddam Hussein as a risk to peace. I respectfully disagree." Painting the antiwar movement as pro-Hussein gets us nowhere.[/quote]

P

Ptichka

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">The original war in Iraq started not because of Saddam's human rights violations on his own people, but because he invaded another country which was under UN protection. Not because of oil.</blockquote>
I do not fully agree. I mean, what you said made the war justifiable to me, but do you really think it would have taken place if Kuwait had no oil? Did the world do much when, say, Ethiopia invaded Eritrea? I don't think so.

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">until Iraqis are able to speak without one of Saddam's men standing next to them to make sure they don't say anything out of turn, we really won't know what they truly want.</blockquote>
Very true. However, can we really provide what what the Iraqis want/need? Can we guarantee a true democratic governement once we leave? I think it's VERY presumptious to say we can with our track record.

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">I think the rush to war has more to do with weather and trying to beat Saddam before he has a nuke, than it has to do with getting oil quicker -- Iraqi scientists have said that Saddam wants at least one nuke so that if he goes down he can take some people with him</blockquote>
I bet most countries would want a nuke. Until I see at least some kind of evidence of his nukes program, I will not be convinced. If anything, I think he is far more likely to do damage with biochemical agents. Even more likely, he will hurt the US via traditional terrorist cells that are probably among us already, and will go off in case of war (this is according to the CIA report, not exactly a "leftist" organization). Also, I feel that this point has been exploited by the White House a bit too much. For instance, once Bush has said, "Hussein in a speach declared that he wants Iraq to be a nuclear mujahadeen", whereas in reality Hussien said that he wants Iraq to be a nuclear power mujahadeen. A bit of a difference, won't you say?

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">who to replace him? it really should be up to the Iraqi's/Arab community, but will it be? the UN and west would most likely want to put a stable more democratic government in place.</blockquote>
Would the "International Community" be supportive if a real ultra-Muslim party came to power in Iraq? Would we really let them have their "democratic choice" then? Or, more pertinently, will we care about anything other than the price and quantity of oil we will be getting from the next Iraqi leader?

J

Jules Asner

You make excellent points and I agree with you - I am not 100% convinced that war is the best answer and I too am worried about what would happen afterwards - I just think its important to try to look at this from many points of view and ask lots of questions and find out as much information as possible before coming to a conclusion. What bothers me is that some people who don't like Bush will automatically go against anything he says for as long as he is in office, just because they dislike him and that just seems iresponsible to me and on the same note some who think the USA is a bully will automatically go against anything that the US is for without caring to educate themselves to make sure they are correct before making their final conclusion. The more I find out, the more complicated it becomes and I think people should be asking a lot more questions and doing more research of past problems and what was done properly and what mistakes were made in the past to try to come up with a solution.

P

Ptichka

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">What bothers me is that some people who don't like Bush will automatically go against anything he says for as long as he is in office, just because they dislike him</blockquote>
Well, that certainly does not apply to me. I:
<ol>
<li>Seriously dislike Bush personally.</li>
<li>Think his domestic economic policy is the worst path for the US. Also despise his "faith-based" program. Also don't like the civil rights intrusions in the name of the war on terrorism.</li>
<li>HOWEVER!!! Until Iraq, I really appreciated Bush's international policy. Much as I liked Clinton, I thought he made a mess of the US foreighn policy by trying to always be the big brother, and always interfering. I actually liked it when Bush indicated that he will be making decisions according to what is best for this country, not what others think. I positively cheered when Bush stood up to the UN bullies when they tried badgering Israel! And, even given all that, I still think the war with Iraq is a mistake.</li>
</ol>

M

mathman444

Re: What is it good for?

This madman will not be content until he kills a million defenseless people.

Mathman

M

mathman444

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The United States of America is the mightiest nation in the history of the world -- incomparably so. This morning's newspaper outlined President Bush's plans for a first strike against Iraq. Within the first 48 hours we will drop 3000 bombs in a "shock and awe" war strategy -- four times the amount of explosives as were used in the initial stages of the Gulf War.

Will each bomb kill 333 people? I did the math.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

The madmen will kill millions of people. That's what war is all about.

the bottom line is Saddam has done nothing to provoke a war.

One of the Al Quaida men responsible for 9/11 has been caught!! Good. That's as it should be.

N.Korea is a big threat to the USA according to other pundits in the military. Bush says the region will take care of that. Duh?

I should be getting back another of Bush's tax refunds. Enough to pay for what? Buy another yacht?

Joe

H

heyang

Did any of you watch Bush's press conference tonight? My biggest problem with it was how many times he referenced 9/11 and then Saddam in the next sentence. He's really playing on the fears of some citizens.

On Tuesday night, there was a very interesting Nightline town meeting. The pro-war side is taking a vary adament stance that Saddam must be taken out of power. The anti-war side is very insistent that the US not go to war without UN backing - their biggest opposition is that the US will become a bigger target.

Pretty much the same points of discussion we've been having on this thread.

J

Joesitz

He's trying to connect Saddam with 9/11. It just didn't happen but he has the US press on his side to feed the people that there is a connectioin.

The original war was due to Saddam invading Kuwait. Saddam actually told the US Ambassador that he was going to do it before he did. Since we had assisted Saddam in defeating the Iranians, the idiot Saddam thought he could do anything with US blessing.

We went to war because if Saddam took over Kuwait, Iraq would have as much oil as Saudi Arabia. This was not good for Papa George's business (oil). Yes, we could say we did it to defend peoples of Kuwait. Somehow, that doesn't ring a bell when there is so much of the same going on in Latin America.

Joe

K

Kara Bear

As a Canadian and a media studies student, it relieves me to hear some intelligent views from all of you. Living on the border, I get to hear George's speech's and see the biased new stories and then I go to school and discuss whats going on. It good to know that there are people that are not taken in by George's words and all the propaganda tht going around.

A

Aloft02

Re: Do you think we should go to war in Iraq??

I have never seen such stunning diplomatic incompetance as we have currently. Never.

One of the saddest outcomes of this 'frontier sheriff' mindset is that our President and his oil-and-war-saturated advisors have completely squandered the post 9-11 goodwill directed toward this country. It's gone-'poof'. In my opinion that unification alone could have served as the single most powerful 'weapon' in our arsenal for the control and ultimate elimination of world terrorism.

Instead we alienate and ridicule our allies (shut up Rumsfeld), talk about "God's will" and the "power of mercy" against a backdrop of freaking 20,000 pound bombs, and purport to finance this mass destruction and killing with "supplemental appropriation".

Even if one can't muster up caring on any personal level about the suffering of the thousands of innocent people who will die in this unleashing of "shock and awe" as he puts it, you must at least acknowledge that we are mortgaging the financial future of our children and grandchildren. And will we have bought peace and security for this horrific price? Not in my opinion - this debacle-in-planning will polarize the world.

This feels like a bad John Wayne movie.

H

heyang

Re: Do you think we should go to war in Iraq??

Slight detour. I just wanted to say that I'm glad that we are respecting each others opinions regarding this topic. Discussing Politics can be very volatile and, so far, we seem to be keeping a relatively open dialogue - going much better than most MK discussions.

M

mathman444

Kara Bear,

One of the criticisms that people who live under parliamentary systems of government make of the United States is this: that every four years we elect a dictator. The U.S. Constitution is supposed to provide for checks and balances. But for various reasons over the years the power of the presidency has grown vis-a-vis the legislative and judiciary branches, until now there is scarcely any way to stop a determined president who is out of control. This is especially the case when both branches of congress and the majority of the supreme court are of the same party as the president. In this case the there is nothing to deter the president from doing whatever he wants, heedless of public opinion here or around the world. He can, and in this case has, usurped the prerogative of the congress to declare war, and who can tell him no?

I feel sorry for British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who has forfeited his political future for this unjust cause.

I feel sorry for U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, who used to be one of the most respected men in America, and who now is just a stooge.

I feel sorry for the government of Turkey, twisting to and fro in the wind as they try to figure out a way to accept a thirteen billion dollar bribe to allow U.S. troops to launch an invasion from their soil, despite the opposition of 95% of their population.

I feel sorry to us. A year ago, as Alof02 points out, people around the world rushed to our support in the wake of the terrorist attack on the world trade center. We have now squandered all that good will and turned it to hatred.

According to today's paper the first month of the war will cost us 10 billion dollars, and $8 billion for each month thereafter, on top of $14 billion up front to assembly the troops and $9 billion to bring them home. I don't have the exact figures at my fingertips, but under the Bush administration a projected multi-TRILLION dollar budget surplus has already turned into a deficit of equal proportions.

I feel sorry for the people of Iraq who will shortly be dead. The U.S. has 300,000 soldiers massed on the borders. Suppose each soldier does his or her duty and kills, let us say, 3 or 4 people. There’s that darn math again.

Mathman

A

Aloft02

I don't know whether it was your clarity of thought, Mathman, or your arithmetic that has choked me up. I feel too easily and often we are able to disassociate the word 'war' from the reality of the act of 'killing'. Your post made the connection for me.

I'm sad too for those Iraqi families and I'm also sad for the young American soldiers that will return changed forever by this "duty".

I've felt recently as though I'm being held hostage by my government- as though I'm yelling over war drums and the drone of the jet engines across the channel at Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. Tonight I'm headed to a political action meeting on my little island. I've not been politically active since the 60's. That's all I can think to do right now. Thanks for your thoughtful post.