Kwan will be a judge in the Miss Universe pageant | Golden Skate

Kwan will be a judge in the Miss Universe pageant

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah...

http://www.pr-inside.com/vanessa-minnillo-and-mario-lopez-to-r127826.htm

NEW YORK, May 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Vanessa Minnillo, "Entertainment Tonight" correspondent and former Miss Teen USA (1999), will join "Dancing With the Stars" semi-finalist and "Extra" weekend correspondent Mario Lopez, to co-host NBC'S broadcast of MISS UNIVERSE(R) 2007 live from the National Auditorium (Auditorio Nacional) in Mexico City, Mexico, on Monday, May 28 at 9:00p.m. ET/delayed PT.

Celebrity judges include NBC's "Heroes" James Kyson Lee, NBC's "Deal or No Deal" briefcase model Lindsay Clubine, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, rocker Dave Navarro, World and Olympic figure skating champion Michelle Kwan,
celebrity hairstylist Ken Paves, fashion designer Marc Bouwer, "Project Runway" judge and Elle magazine fashion director Nina Garcia, and former Miss Universe (1993) Dayanara Torres.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Miss Universe an NBC TV production. Hmmmmm..... Michelle, NBC.... maybe we will see her commentating with Dick Button at Skate America and U.S. Nationals. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah, not again...like I said on FSU, I don't think the two are connected. It's NBC entertainment, not NBC sports right? two different divisions...

I hope she doesn't commentate. Frankly I think she would be quite boring. Too careful, too nice, too "Paula Abdul".

eta: I know there will be a wave of disagreement and dissent when I say this but I actually like the excitement that Scott Hamilton brings when he does commentary. (Just a bit too much talking IMO). I hope they hire him. Button would make a good analyst but I find him a bit on the critical side to be a balanced commentator.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Yay!! I have added Ms. Universe to my PALM.... should be fun to watch... and while NBC Entertainment and NBC Sports are different divisions, please don't be surprised if Michelle does indeed become the face of US skating commentating w/ the move to NBC - espcially in the season leading up to the games...

please don't be surprised if Michelle does indeed become the face of US skating commentating w/ the move to NBC - espcially in the season leading up to the games.
Well, she would have to also give up Disney which was the source for her millions. (Disney owns ABC)

Jimmy Hoffa - What do you know about Mario? I think on paper they'd make a cute couple although I hate cute.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. I have not watched Ms. Universe since I was a kid. Definitely will watch to see Michelle.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I hope she doesn't commentate. Frankly I think she would be quite boring. Too careful, too nice, too "Paula Abdul".

Yeah, Paula Abdul without the drug habit. BUT she would be great hosting something like "Olympic Ice".

~Z

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
hmmmm. I am really surprised.... dosen't sound like somthing that Michelle would do. I hope that she has fun though. I guess that the Pagent is in the summer when Michelle isn't busy with her studies.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...and while NBC Entertainment and NBC Sports are different divisions, please don't be surprised if Michelle does indeed become the face of US skating commentating...

Oh man, don't say it. Put her ANYWHERE, give her any position EXCEPT one in the booth!! But I bet they'll strive to get her in there for the ratings. I mean, people have already indicated that they would watch the broadcast just to see her ! even if they don't care about the actual competition.

I partially agree Z- while she would be a nice addition to an OI (or NI?) broadcast team, she doesn't show off her "fun" side. She's always come across to me as very "business-like".

The smart thing to do, IMO, would be to have her promote the event. At least that's what I would do if I were NBC.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Jimmy Hoffa - What do you know about Mario? I think on paper they'd make a cute couple although I hate cute.

In short, he'll go after anything in a skirt.

More specifically, his wife left him two weeks after their wedding and annulled their marriage because she found out he slept with a stripper at his bachelor party. He has been accused of rape, maybe more than once, I forget. He is said to be a real man-*****. (That blocked out word rhymes with store.) I know very little about Kwan's personal life, but I hope she would not give him the time of day because he would be done with her by Monday. I assume she is still with what's-his-face from Denver and I hope she wouldn't cheat on him.

If Kwan and Lopez coupled up, the cuteness would be in looks only.

nubka

Final Flight
In short, he'll go after anything in a skirt.

More specifically, his wife left him two weeks after their wedding and annulled their marriage because she found out he slept with a stripper at his bachelor party. He has been accused of rape, maybe more than once, I forget. He is said to be a real man-*****. (That blocked out word rhymes with store.) I know very little about Kwan's personal life, but I hope she would not give him the time of day because he would be done with her by Monday. I assume she is still with what's-his-face from Denver and I hope she wouldn't cheat on him.

If Kwan and Lopez coupled up, the cuteness would be in looks only.

Hmmm...

It sound like "Slater" (Mario) has certainly come a long way from his "Saved By The Bell" days... ick!!

Michelle, run/skate the other way...fast!

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Hmmm...

I sound like "Slater" (Mario) has certainly come a long way from his "Saved By The Bell" days... ick!!

Michelle, run/skate the other way...fast!

Maybe, she's going because Mario's face looks like a good place for her to practice her jumps. Seriously, I think that one reason she might be doing this is that the pageant is in Mexico, and, the work won't be so difficult that she can't combine it with a free vacation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, what about his female co-host? Assuming they are not a couple, shouldn't she be more "concerned"? the judges will probably be sitting at some bench somewhere. GO figure...

Jimmy, wow! I never thought of Mario as a womanizer. Well that will make the teaming up less cute. Now I have to watch this thing.
Do they still do talent (or talentless)?:biggrin:

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well good for her. I like the fact that she's staying in the public eye. She hasn't skated in awhile, but all my second graders know who "Michelle" is......42

nubka

Final Flight
Jimmy, wow! I never thought of Mario as a womanizer. Well that will make the teaming up less cute. Now I have to watch this thing.
Do they still do talent (or talentless)?:biggrin:

Joe

Miss Universe never had a talent portion. Miss America always did, but now, they have dumped it as well...

What is this world coming to...

zephyrskates

On the Ice
miss universe and michelle kwan, i never imagined they will be in the same sentence ever.
it just doesn't seem compatible to me, miss universe for the past few years have just been undergoing trump-ization that's totally ruining the pageant. i miss the days of "what is the essence of being a woman" questions and knowledgeable judges. yes, i do believe that michelle is not the most knowledgeable judge nor is the pageant an event that she should stoop to (or reach for pageant lovers out there).

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I must confess, it is just fascinating how fans attempt to interpret Michelle's decisions. The speculation on her reasons why, extoled on several boards over the past couple of days have been as varied as any comments on her skating.

Okay, my take is... "You do whatever damn well you please, Michelle, as long as it makes you happy, and it makes for a great life memory. You owe no one even a smidgen of explaination or justification for your decisions. Fan expectations can never be totally satisfied in any case. What pleases some, makes others sad or mad as hell!"

Oh, btw... you can bet your best back scratch (spin) I will watch! :rock: