US and Eurosport commentators disagree on Mao and Yu-Na | Page 3 | Golden Skate

US and Eurosport commentators disagree on Mao and Yu-Na

morninglight

On the Ice
Ivanova's SP at 1985 Worlds also has Czardas in it...I think her version's music may be even more frantic than Mao's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YTJ4BcRldAc

Wow! That's really strong. And I think that the music editing was very smart. The music was slow for the most part. When the music gets really fast, she did straight line steps and finished with spins right after that, which gave a very strong impression. Amazing that she does not fall in such busy footsteps with that speed....!

The thing that I felt didn't work for Mao about Czardas is that every move she does is so soft, so smooth. As you put it, Czardas is frantic music. Even the violinist uses aggressive, short, accentuated spiccato strokes when playing the piece, and Mao doesn't quite have that kind of sharpness to her skating.

Hopefully her new programs will suit her better.

I totally agree:agree:

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Mao Worlds LP (French)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axa6rS5Sd2U

Are they always like that????

Oh, my, I wish I could watch all future skating events with the French commentators. Their enthusiasm is totally contagious, I couldn't help smiling too when they were getting so excited! :laugh: They could be commentating on a football (soccer) game. And why shouldn't skating fans/commentators be as excited about skating as football fans about football? :)

Does anyone know of links to other French versions of programs from this past world championship? I want to hear what they are like for Yu-Na, Kimmie, Miki, etc.

Justlooking

Rinkside
I hated these guys at first. They're always making some terribly stupid jokes and talking all the way through the programs. But after watching eurosport france, I've gained a new appreciation.

Justlooking

Rinkside
A bad translation

Mont- Montfort
Cand- Philippe Candeloro
Dumo - Annick Dumont

Mont - It's now a great moment, one of the first of the great moments. What a great draw. It's as if Candeloro made the draw because it will go crescendo till the end. Because, because, for the country of the rising sun, under extraordinary applause comes Mao Asada. She is coached by Rafael Arutunian. We will talk about this coach later. He is a not anyone, he has coached Kwan and I also think Sasha Abt.
Miss Mao asada can at least aim at the silver medal, if not who knows? better,
considering the dissapointments previously seen. Watch carefully.
Cand - Watch out. Here is the attempt of the triple axel. If she nails it ...
Triple axel
Cand- She nails it.
Dumo- O yes, What a feat!
Mont- What an incredible beginning of the program for Mao asada, the japanese who is starting to fly to the world title. It's incredible what's happening this afternoon on the rink of Tokyo. Careful! Careful!
Double axel triple toe loop
Cand - Double axel triple toe loop. Touch.
Dumo - Oh no!
Mont- It doesn't matter! it doesn't matter! She's still there.
Cand- Go Mao.
Mont - She didn't fall. It's funny when you say ' go Mao'. But you're right, it's her name.
triple flip triple loop
Cand - Triple flip triple loop. Fantastic!
En tout cas elle n'est pas au japonais absent mais au japonais présente. A surely stupid joke I i didn't understand
Mont- Great, Phillip. We were wating for it till the beginning of the week.
Cand- yes. I kept it.. I kept the best till last.
Spin
Mont - it's great program she's giving us. Annie. a great program.
Cand- It's not impossible that we'll see on the first two step of the podium two japanese.
Mont- Two japanese on the the first two step. oh la la. They will celebrate it greatly , here. (bad translation )

I'll stop there for now

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
justlooking, that's really great. I mean, it was funny just with my limited French, and now having understood it better through your efforts, I am even more amused. :chorus:

feraina

Record Breaker
Cand - Triple flip triple loop. Fantastic!
En tout cas elle n'est pas au japonais absent mais au japonais présente. A surely stupid joke I i didn't understand

"In any case she's not a Japanese absent but a Japanese present"? Something like that?! What can it mean...

morninglight

On the Ice
Thank you!!!!

Justlooking, thank you so much for your wonderful translation :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I suppose that it would have been a lot of work to write down all that. Thank you so much for your kindness!

I totally enjoyed reading it. They are so much fun :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Justlooking

Rinkside
Cand - But remember, at Calgary, we already brang on this possibility, after the japanese team results
Double axel
Cand- Double axel. There should be a triple Lutz.
triple Lutz
Cand - yes.
Dumo- Oh la la la. It's fantastic.
Cand - The technic goes through. She should be a little bit smily, give it a little bit more conviction in her choreography.
Mao's smiling in the spiral sequence.
Mont - She listens to you. She listens to you ! Look!
Cand - We are linked by earphone. With simultaneous translation.
Mont- This choreography is a marvel. It is left one and a half minute for this young japanese for who knows fly to the world title. This choreography is a marvel.
Watch carefully.
Triple flip
Cand - Triple flip. She's so relaxed . Peacefulness.
Go Mao! You musn't give up. You must go. You should have pushed a little more.
Mont - Careful, the Lutz, careful
cand - Yes, beautifuf,, in combination.
Cand- She's happy, she know se did an extraordinary performance.
Mont - Biellman Spin to finish.
The end
Mont - What a marvel! What a marvel. What a marvel!
Cand- The japanese crowd is on his feet.
Mont- The japanese crowd, usually so placid is standing up, completely standing up.
Dumo - Ouh , Incredible.
Mont- It's one of the most intense oment of these championship. We must aknowledge it objectively that we are living right on France 2. And Phillip is standing up. And Annick is standing up.
Cand - I'm not japanese but I nevertheless stand up.
Dumo - Incredible. She's so touching, how cute she is, she will cry.
It's normal. It's normal. She's doing technically a program of the level of senior men. Bravo. Bravo.
A program with 8 triples ( ?????). Just imagine! 8 triples. No girl has attempted such difficulty. Many boys, Nelson, didn't do 8 triples program. 2 flip, 2 Lutz, an axel, a triple axel.
Mont- successful.
Dumo - Incredible, incredible. Let's wach the triple axel. I hope it won't be downgraded. I hope that it isn't backwards ( the blade). We must look at the blade on the landing. Yes, yes, perfect, it's backwards. One , two, three. On the double (!!??), she makes a little mistake, she does a slight touch, which won't cost her much. Whereas on the triple, one turn, two turns, three turns and a half. But a little touch on the landing. Little touch; I just saw it. It will make her loose a little tenth (???). But I know what the judges don't like. The judges don't like the fact her lutzes look like flips, and her flips like lutzes. Maybe, but she nails them, she nails them.
Cand - Oh these judges!
Mont -Oh but those flips who look like lutzes, in such a joy, in such excitement!
Dumo - Incredible! Imagine, 8 triples! 8 triples ! Fantastic. She is 10 points behind. She is 10 points behind on the korean, yu na kim.
Mont - It was a far better than the one of the Korean.
Dumo - It wasn't in the same league . She will catch up, Nelson. She will catch up
Mont- Here's rafael Arutunian, usually less smily. But here he can be thrilled, he can be thrilled, her armenian coach.

Kiss and cry next time :)

Last edited:

morninglight

On the Ice
Wow....!!!

Justlooking, thank you so VERY MUCH for all your translations. I know that, even for people like you who are very fluent in both languages, transcribing that much volume is really a lot of work. You are very kind. Thank you so much for sharing all that:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And I really have so much fun reading all this. Philippe Candeloro conntected with Mao via earphone with simultaneous interpretation?:laugh: Ms. Annick Dumont sounds like a proud aunt when she said "A little touch, a little" :laugh: I didn't know that these guys were doing standing ovation over there, either.

Thanks a lot for all your work:clap::clap::clap:

feraina

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity I looked up the French coverage of Yu-na's LP and Johnny's SP at worlds, and they hardly said anything throughout. Very terse, serious commentating. What's going?! A different commentating team, maybe? Or they're particularly enamored with Mao Asada? In any case, they don't seem in general to be much more excited/enthusiastic than other nationalities. Too bad. I was looking forward to watching all my future youtube skate-cast in French. :)

netnuts

Match Penalty
Dumo - Incredible! Imagine, 8 triples! 8 triples ! Fantastic. She is 10 points behind. She is 10 points behind on the korean, yu na kim.
[Kiss and cry next time :)

Gee. These French are on drug. They need to learn how to count triples first. Mao did not do 8 triples. Without 3s & 3t, there's no way she can cram in 8 triples in a program.

Justlooking

Rinkside
Out of curiosity I looked up the French coverage of Yu-na's LP and Johnny's SP at worlds, and they hardly said anything throughout. Very terse, serious commentating. What's going?! A different commentating team, maybe? Or they're particularly enamored with Mao Asada? In any case, they don't seem in general to be much more excited/enthusiastic than other nationalities. Too bad. I was looking forward to watching all my future youtube skate-cast in French. :)

Nelson Montfort does interviews backstage. So when he is not there, it's a little less exciting.

champs

Final Flight
hello, and thank you very much, Justlooking, for the translation of the French commentary, I'd been wishing to understand what they were saying!

I have a question...sorry this is not related to the thread topic but nonetheless: as I don't understand French, the word "attention" that Nelson kept saying and that is translated into "careful", what does it exactly mean? Does it mean what it means in English too? I'm wondering this because I'm not sure if Nelson is either trying to draw attention of potential TV viewers to look carefully at what's about to happen, or sort of rooting for Mao and telling Mao to be careful when jumping although of course Mao couldn't hear Nelson while skating.

Justlooking, sounds like you live in France and actually watched the broadcast so I have another question if you don't mind. Did Nelson interview Yu-Na and Mao in person as far as TV broadcast is concerned? Or any ladies in this competition?

Justlooking

Rinkside
hello, and thank you very much, Justlooking, for the translation of the French commentary, I'd been wishing to understand what they were saying!

I have a question...sorry this is not related to the thread topic but nonetheless: as I don't understand French, the word "attention" that Nelson kept saying and that is translated into "careful", what does it exactly mean? Does it mean what it means in English too? I'm wondering this because I'm not sure if Nelson is either trying to draw attention of potential TV viewers to look carefully at what's about to happen, or sort of rooting for Mao and telling Mao to be careful when jumping although of course Mao couldn't hear Nelson while skating.

In fact 'attention' can mean "Be careful" , " Watch out", and here "Look".
So I think he uses all the meanings. Good observation :thumbsup:

Justlooking, sounds like you live in France and actually watched the broadcast so I have another question if you don't mind. Did Nelson interview Yu-Na and Mao in person as far as TV broadcast is concerned? Or any ladies in this competition?
He interviewed Emily Hughes and Carolina Kostner.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I have a question...sorry this is not related to the thread topic but nonetheless: as I don't understand French, the word "attention" that Nelson kept saying and that is translated into "careful", what does it exactly mean? Does it mean what it means in English too?

The french "attention" can have many meanings. One meaning is on signs where in english you might have "WARNING!" in french they will have "ATTENTION!". Other meanings can be careful, watch out and also look at this.

Ant

champs

Final Flight
Justlooking and antmanb, thanks for your explanations. I see, so Nelson could be meaning either way. Either way I also found this video to be really fun to watch, just the way they go so chaotic :laugh: