US and Eurosport commentators disagree on Mao and Yu-Na | Page 5 | Golden Skate

US and Eurosport commentators disagree on Mao and Yu-Na

I really don't get this obsession w. the fan spiral being "embarrassing."
Alissa Czisny has a nice fan spiral position, IMHO.

About split jumps, catch-leg spins, etc., it's the motion that makes the element.

But the extended, here it comes right in your face, hydrant's view of the dog -- I do not see the aesthetic appeal.

Frankly, I blame the CoP. It forces you to come up with as many positions as you can think of. Once you've done your inside, outside, forward, backward, Biellmann and sideways-leaning versions, you have to come up with something.

About men, well, in the first place they wear pants. (Rudy Galindo has been roundly criticised for his Y-spin, however.) Plushenko's Sex Bomb -- that was burlesque (in the sence of silly low comedy). It would be unladylike for a woman to carry on like that, LOL.

Last edited:

indicatoto101

On the Ice
Actually, I agree with Button on that. Kimmie's is the only fan spiral that I am not embarrassed to watch.

Sasha and Shizuka have nice fan spirals. I don't even call Kimmie's kick a fan spiral. It's barely knee high! She looks like she doesn't even want to try to extend it.

fsf9012

Rinkside
Sasha and Shizuka have nice fan spirals. I don't even call Kimmie's kick a fan spiral. It's barely knee high! She looks like she doesn't even want to try to extend it.

I agree. Whenever I saw Kimmie's, I always thought she lacks flexibility. Anybody knows the higher the leg is, the harder the spiral is. As far as I like Dick Button, I wish he would be consistent and fair to skaters he doesn't like. I felt upset when he was nagging on Miki's spiral while praising Kimmie's. I know Miki doens't have the best spiral in the world and I prefer Kimmie's myself but he should know Miki got almost the same(or sometimes higher) GOEs as Kimmie.

Last edited:
I agree. Whenever I saw Kimmie's, I always thought she lacks flexibility. Anybody knows the higher the leg is, the harder the spiral is...
I think difficulty for difficulty's sake is overrated. It is difficult to tie a skate to the top of your head and skate upside down. That doesn't mean that figure skaters should be praised for incorporating this move.

To me, this is just not very pretty:

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2006-cheese/dsc08828.jpg

Last edited: