Cleveland 2009 Nationals | Golden Skate

Cleveland 2009 Nationals

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Order form for 2009 U.S. Nationals in Cleveland is now posted at www.Cleveland2009.com.

Most expensive all event ticket is $895 and the least expensive is $295. There is also a very large pdf file which shows the seating at Quicken Loans Arena (formerly Gund).

Maureen

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Weekend packages

The LOC updated the website to show weekend packages available for 2009 Cleveland Nationals. Prices vary depending on where you want to sit. From what I've read around the internet the individual tickets will go on sale in September.

A poster on FSU has a tentative schedule from an inside source. Looks like the Championship Pairs and Dance will be split into early and late groups. Championship Ladies appear to be skating in one group - not split like St. Paul. Men will skate on Sunday and the Skating Spectacular is on Sunday.

Here is a link to the tentative schedule - hope it works.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60557

Maureen - I'm terrible at links :rofl:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
All event tickets arrived!

Yesterday (Saturday) my all event tickets for Cleveland Nationals arrived. I'm so excited!

The tickets were sent out by regular mail in a white business size envelope. There is one ticket for each session and a practice pass which says it is good for all practices at Quicken Loans Arena and Hoover Arena East & West. Hoover Arena in Strongsville is apparently considered Hoover Arena East. Winterhurst Arena in Lakewood was recently taken over by Hoover Arena and is, I guess, considered Hoover Arena West. Winterhurst is a very old arena but I believe it was refurbished when it changed hands. I am wondering if the East & West on the practice pass means practices will be at both Hoover Arenas. Guess time will tell.

The only thing which annoyed me about the tickets (and it is really petty) is that it only lists the Session number and time - not what the event actually is like Jr. Ladies, Jr. Men, etc.

Maureen

rinkmama3

Spectator
Go figure

Hi-
I live in Shaker Heights, and both my kids skate, so needless to say, we are excited about attending Nationals this year. My daughter is a HUGE Rachel Flatt fan. I was just wondering if anyone else had been invited to the GO FIGURE event? Its at the Cleveland Renaissance Hotel connected to the arena, its a meet and greet with coaches on Friday morning 1/23. They have invited Priscilla Hill, Patti Gotwein, Charlene Wong, and a few others. I know travel/tickets to the event are expensive, but this was a little cheaper and seemed like fun for everyone, anyone else going?:clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
welcome to the boards! enjoy nationals, it's a great event to see LIVE! :biggrin:

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I can't believe Nationals are almost here.

Staying in Brook Park, but it's pretty easy to get to the Q from there.

Tammi

On the Ice
There is one ticket for each session and a practice pass which says it is good for all practices at Quicken Loans Arena and Hoover Arena East & West. Hoover Arena in Strongsville is apparently considered Hoover Arena East. Winterhurst Arena in Lakewood was recently taken over by Hoover Arena and is, I guess, considered Hoover Arena West. Winterhurst is a very old arena but I believe it was refurbished when it changed hands. I am wondering if the East & West on the practice pass means practices will be at both Hoover Arenas. Guess time will tell.
We were at IceLand (Hoover) a few years ago for Junior Nationals. The rinks in the Strongsville arena are referred to as the West rink and the East rink, but they are both located in the same facility. Each rink had plenty of seating along one side, so I wasn't surprised to see that they opened up the practice sessions to all event holders this year. It's just a bit of a hike from the downtown Cleveland hotels. Hopefully the weather will be accommodating.

Will anyone be at the FRIENDS luncheon on Sunday to take pics of skaters with themselves, and watch the Gala rehearsals? If so we should all meet at some point and giggle at the results.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just giggle? no guffaws? ;)

I wish I could go... but then again FL's heat is looking REALLY good right about now.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Thanks, I'll be going to Nats '09, and that link has a lot of helpful stuff. Planning out restaurants in advance would be better than wandering around in the cold...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, thank you very much for that link! Lots of good info...I think that Irish brewpub is going to get alot of my money.....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Driving in Cleveland

Here is some info about the driving/travel time which you might not have read about. Cleveland is having a problem with a bridge on I-90 which is of similar design as the I-35W bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis. Three of the four lanes have been reopened...but could still cause delays driving your car into Cleveland from any of the south or west suburbs.

Additionally, ALL buses (shuttle bus for Nationals included) have been rerouted off the bridge. My husband normally goes to work on what has become the new route for bus/truck travel into downtown. At 4:30 a.m., it takes him 30 minutes to make this trip. I went to his office one weekday morning at 9:00 a.m. and it took me 90 minutes :scowl: I think if I go to Strongsville to watch practices I will need to all at least 90 minutes to get back to downtown.

Also if you are downtown and driving your vehicle to any of the western or southern suburbs, be aware that the ON ramp for I-90W/I-71S at Ontario Street is closed. Nearest ON ramp for I-90W/I-71S is at East Ninth and Carnegie. East 9th is only a couple of blocks east of the Q.

Here is a link to the blog which talks about the bridge problem:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/odot_reopens_third_lane_on_inn.html

Maureen

Tammi

On the Ice
I think if I go to Strongsville to watch practices I will need to all at least 90 minutes to get back to downtown.
Maureen, what about the trip to the practice arena from downtown? Can you give a guesstimate on time during rush hour and also non-rush hour? From what I've seen the credential bus is running every 30 minutes and the other bus is running 60 minutes. I think timing is going to be crucial.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Downtown to Strongsville

Well, I only had the one experience going from home to hubby's work at 9:00 a.m. which took 90 minutes instead of 30, so I'm no expert. I guess I think from downtown to Strongsville will be 60 minutes during nonrush hours and possibly longer during rush hour.

My guess for Strongsville to downtown is 90 minutes at any time after 7 a.m........which I hope is way off because I sure don't want to sit on the shuttle stuck in traffic for that long.

I can't tell you how shocked I was the morning it took me 90 minutes. I really felt that by 9 a.m. rush hour is more or less over....but it certainly was a mess that day. Also, I don't even think there were any accidents because I didn't see any police cars or anything else....just solid cars, trucks, and SUVs for as far as I could see in any direction and on every ramp.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Evening rush hour can be really bad too. I used to head out to Strongsville once a week fir a 5 pm visit. Travel at that time crawls. Add in snow and the freeway turns into a parking lot

samba

On the Ice
That sucks :yes:. I don't understand why they did not look at trveling time when they organized this practice rink. Most of the practice rinks in the past were quite close to the competing arena. Are there any closer rinks that skaters can practise?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Why Strongsville

In 2000 when Cleveland hosted Nationals a rink in Lakewood was used which had two ice surfaces but almost no seating. When the announcement for 2009 came out, the plan was to use the Cleveland Convention Center located downtown and put in tank ice. I was told later that the Convention Center would cost $300,000 and that was just way too expensive. I guess the rink in Strongsville with two ice surfaces seemed like a really good idea. Unfortunately, the problem with the bridge on I-90 got really bad in the summer of 2008 and it was probably to late to change arrangements.

I know there are a number of other rinks in the area (don't know exactly where), and the skaters have a contact person to set up unofficial practice ice time.

Maureen