The Summer Has Me Thinking.... | Golden Skate

The Summer Has Me Thinking....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Now that we are almost into the great vortex of summer repeats in tv land, I always ask myself the same old questions: Could I give up the tube? Do I watch too much tv? How can I break old habits?

I admit, that I have even watched shows like American Idol and Canadian Idol;Dancing with the Stars and other reality tv thinking " I will never get hooked on such trash tv." However, there I am tuning in week after week to find who the heck is going to take home the prize. Really, what do I care? It's not going to change my life any to know and these people are getting fartoo much attention from the media and public in the bigger picture of things. Why should a girl of seventeen be given such adulation? What has she contributed to society? Makes me think.

What's even worse - I have become a fan of "Desperate Housewives!!" Heaven forbid. I made the mistake of watching the first episode and of course it being somewhat of "who dunnit" I had to stick with the silly show to see the outcome. Guess what the show is still churning on, I am still watching and no wiser to the outcome. I am almost embarrassed to admit I am still watching this desperate show.

Okay, I have to cut myself some slack here - tired after work, couch potato, it's easier to turn the tv on than go for a walk or do some exercise. I have all of the excuses!!!

Oh for the good old days when I used to grab my skates head to the rink and lace them up for a good work out on the ice. Could someone please give me a time machine?

Well, that's my lament - for what it is worth. No doubt, I will head to bed tonight with the pure thoughts of reforming my tv habits - but will I succeed? That my friends remains to be seen.

Confessions of a tv addict.......

:biggrin:

Jhar55

Medalist
I could try and give up TV but I am hooked on reality TV. The sit-coms are not that good tried to watch Lost when it came on watched think the first season but ended up lost so gave it up. I did watch 7th Heaven and now it's over did see every episode of that one. But I am hooked on Big Brother, Surivoir, Amazing Race, The Bachlor, ect. Now I can't wait for the new one Pirate master.
I think it would be eaiser to give up the computer / internet.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Now I can't wait for the new one Pirate master.
Me Three!
I think it would be eaiser to give up the computer / internet.
But this I can't even relate to :laugh:

Lad, do you have parental control capabilities on you TV? You could block out times and channels as a reminder like a note on the refrigerator not to eat - put one on the TV. If there is a little ledge in front of the TV, stick a magazine or book there blocking some of the screen. How about a "Honey do list" taped to the top edge that you have flip up and over the top of the tube to watch TV?

Just some Ideas.:agree: Good luck.

eta, I new a kid that his parents put a timer on the power cord to the TV - like they use for lighting. Not hard to get around it either, but works as a reminder, and when it turns off after your show, you have to make an effort to continue to "potatoize" and sit and watch after. JAI No excuses, like, "I just veged out and kept watching."

Last edited:

Binky30

Rinkside
Here's how I get around the tv addiction in the summer:

When I was growing up, we had cable from like September through May. Then my mom would call the cable company and have it shut off, and we'd leave it that way for June-August. It's something I still do...it makes me turn off the tv and get outside and enjoy the weather and work in my yard. (Not to mention the $$ I save by not having a cable bill for 3 months!)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Here's how I get around the tv addiction in the summer:

When I was growing up, we had cable from like September through May. Then my mom would call the cable company and have it shut off, and we'd leave it that way for June-August. It's something I still do...it makes me turn off the tv and get outside and enjoy the weather and work in my yard. (Not to mention the $$ I save by not having a cable bill for 3 months!)

Now that is a great idea!!! Only problem is our cable company has a good scam going - we also get our internet hookup as a package deal....oh bother!!!!