COI Denver review | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COI Denver review

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean, you're doing a great report. Thanks for the info on Johnny's number, I would love to see it. Hope I get a chance to go this year, if they come to Omaha.

Thanks so much Sean, for all your work in reviewing the show for us.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
You missed your calling, Sean. You shou;ld have been a sports writer!
:eek: Really or are you humoring me? ;)

I wish!!!!! Travel around the globe reporting on FS. Live, eat, drink, study, breath all things FS for a job.:love::love::love:

There are a few members here I greatly envy - and would gladly be a slave to;) - that have similar occupations.
I would have to get gutsy and designate some of those jumps I just called "3 or 2" to feel good about it though. I would also want a voice recorder, I may have only looked at my notes 2 times during prog.s, but I was thinking a recording device would be awesome - with a mouth piece and voice guard that I can pull down 'cuz I LOVE to shout out to the skaters at start and finish. I think they know that:laugh:

Maybe I will review the next competition I go to????;)

Last edited:
:eek: Really or are you humoring me? ;)

I wish!!!!! Travel around the globe reporting on FS. Live, eat, drink, study, breath all things FS for a job.:love::love::love:
Humoring you. :chorus: Can't let you get the big head. ;)

No, but seriously, the figure skating reporter (Jo-ann Barnas) for the Detroit Free Press started out doing just little small reports on various figure skating events. Sometimes they only gave her a few lines ("In other news, Kwan, gold, Nikodinov, silver at Skate America"), but her stories were gradually given more prominance. Then she became the "Olympic sports" columnist and wrote about all different things. She has an article in today's paper, for instance, about a big speed skating event coming up and how Apolo Ono's new fame as a dancer might translate into greater publicity for the sport.

Now she has enough clout that she also does long interviews and features on athletes in major sports as well. (Not that figure skating isn't major, but you know what I mean. ;) )

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
SeaniBu, thanks so much for those 14 lines about Johnny. The song playing was "All in love is fair".

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean, don't let Math kid you, you did a great job!!

Now Seanibu (*Dee with hands on hips and tapping one foot**) why didn't you take some photos, huh?? ..........especially of Johnny. Waiting for an answer!!! :mad: :mad:

Math speaking of reporters...when SOI came to Omaha, our reporter talked about Sarah H. being the current Olympic champion but never said anything about Alexei. Well, let me tell you that didn't sit to welll with me so I typed a stern but very professional email to the newsroom. The reporter contacted me and stated her boss handed her the email and told her to email me. She said the reason she didn't mention Alexei was because he couldn't do the big jumps anymore. No one would care about him anyhow..........:mad: :mad: How's that for reporting??

Dee

She said the reason she didn't mention Alexei was because he couldn't do the big jumps anymore. No one would care about him anyhow..........:mad: :mad: How's that for reporting??
I don't know if I should :rofl: or :mad: Yagudin is only the most popular figure skater on the planet. The reporter's regular beat is probably baseball (how about them Royals?! :laugh: )

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Math speaking of reporters...when SOI came to Omaha, our reporter talked about Sarah H. being the current Olympic champion but never said anything about Alexei. Well, let me tell you that didn't sit to welll with me so I typed a stern but very professional email to the newsroom. The reporter contacted me and stated her boss handed her the email and told her to email me. She said the reason she didn't mention Alexei was because he couldn't do the big jumps anymore. No one would care about him anyhow..........:mad: :mad: How's that for reporting??

Would that be the same SOI tour that reported that S. Hughes was struggling to do double jumps? In that case, what was Yagudin doing, singles?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Now Seanibu (*Dee with hands on hips and tapping one foot**) why didn't you take some photos, huh?? ..........especially of Johnny. Waiting for an answer!!! :mad: :mad:
:laugh: So funny you call me my "forum formal name" when addressing me with that question, so cute.;)

Anyhoo, I was going to be "eyes glued, and pen on paper" for the routines - still looked away twice - and a camera would have hindered that note taking ability. My Neighbor had to back out of going with (to try out her new camera) because something came up. When I contemplated taking my camera I thought how will I take notes???? I really wish I did in some ways, lots of things I would like to share visually - and to any one, I will just say if you like Alissa now, see her in that closing finale and one might be forever in love.

So I am looking at getting a voice recorder so I can do both. I took a 9-5 job now that the folks are better and it wont be long - I really liked it today, but now the decisions??? New blades and Boots, getting a pass / joining at the rink, I could use some wheels on my RBs..... ah a VR isn't that expensive;) So soon Dee I hope to "uber please you!";)

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean, the only thing I thought of was you doing one of your great video montages. I know it's hard to to it all. I think you did such a super good job on your review that I could picture in my head from your descriptions.

Again, thanks for doing the review.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Part 4

Part 90:laugh::laugh:

I read over the COI WA review:bow: and felt extremely guilty for not finishing yet. Sorry.

Also I wish I could be so succinct as well not feel it so necessary to try to mention everyone and try so hard not to show favoritism. Anyhoo....here is a few more.

Irina G, wow, even more attractive this year, her outfit was much like a yellow bikini with a bunch of tassels. What an amazing figure she has. "Much to do about Vegas" is the impression I received. That and she knows men a fawning for her. The most impressive think to me was a spiral position with a hoop around both arms and BOTH legs!!!! WOW! What a great edge considering and beautiful tracing regardless. She did loose a hoop at a point during "hullaing" 6 - I was surprised that I was surprised, I mean come one Sean, It is bound to happen. Still very flirtatious but was more coy about it, nice change. A nice change, no cube and more skating / dancing then last year. She is SOOPER entertaining!!! I enjoyed this routine more than last year - and yellow is my favorite color - a win / win for Seani! ;) If ever in Vegas, I will look for her show without a doubt. Entertaining, sexy and talented all in one. :yes:

Shae-Lynn, wow worth the wait to see her live. She looked "ravaging" in in a classy outfit (that I barely remember :laugh:) and just captured all of my attention in seeing her finally. I can't believe for a second that people don't flock to her like a "Siren on Ice," and everywhere she goes. So magnetic.:love: She took the spotlight in center ice with a chair - and I noted that it is a VERY nice chair - and did some edge work with, around and without the chair. It was wonderfully fresh choreography considering I have seen the "chair thing" and the way she worked with it.... in some ways reminded me of watching Tori Amos in concert. She has all the "appeal" that anyone has but they way she "uses" it, rare and wonderful. No need fore jumps and such IMO, she covered the rink and provided incessant captivation with her grace, style and over endowed charisma. I acutely didn't notice the chair was a nice looking chair until the end. If there is one coach that I would love to have in the world, she is the one.

Next was the piece with Melissa, Denis and Johnny. I think we have all seen it by now via video at the least. I will say it is much better in person as well it has a mesmerizing effect. I did wonder about some parts of the number being in "sync." Melissa Kind of "stole" this one IMO. Beautiful but I felt like it was not having a defined climax yet seemed that one was going to happen at any moment. Like ambient music at the club, was all wonderful, just no point stood out.

Marina and Gwendal's "Amazing show." Whoo, I still don't know quite how to take this number. It was a interesting look inside the lives of an entertainment couple. And quite a look it was. Marina was reading as Gwendal came out of the crowd (are these guys reading my posts :laugh:) and stepped on the ice. As they "reunited" on ice she whipped of her "robe and did something I found reminiscent of Top Hat with a touch of circus performance. I was not fully understanding what was going on to start and could not see the direction it was going to take. An obvious story line, just not sure what the story was going to be.??? Really a nice change and kept my attention. The mid portion of it got .. uh um "steamy!" It seemed as thought they were going to bed. And apparently not to sleep.:eek::love::eek: One of the people in front of me - likely the same dude that was whistling during Alissa) said "get on that !" I seriously had to think through where I was - was this really COI? the were literally rolling around on each other but it wound up turing into a great lift of Gwendal. Loardy Marina is sexy lady and must assume Gwendal is a such of a man, but seeing her do these lifts with him is just so ...."statifying." ;) Wow. Now I don't want to say it like I didn't like it, contrary. I did enjoy it but if I had a kid, my nature would have been to cover their eyes. Although it would not have been necessary, it certainly seemed to be headed down the "behind closed doors" being open for public viewing path. Gave good indication but it really just wound up being an interesting lift. They had some "yellow things" that I didn't really like the color with the lighting colors. The lighting provided some great effects on ice that provided the impression of different rooms, times rinks. HE really did do the first lift, I thought fore sure it would be her again. It went into "Candy man" - Christina "Aggravata" again - but something about it just didn't mesh with were the programme came from. Musicly diverse, just hard to connect. Did some neat work with the chair - although I thought the part were she was "steering" the chair was silly - they both were "working" the chair between them and was done wonderfully IMO. They have great rhythm and recall a wonderful Cartwheel lift.

Evan, Pang and Tong, Besedin & Polishchuk, Shizuka, Plushenko, Sasha and finale yet to be translated. I will try and get on that. Sorry new job just sucking up the time and thoughts. Off to work;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Part 91

Evan's INXS number was very energetic, and didn't seem to over macho. Lots of hip twisting and hands through the hair but still that expressive characteristic that is indicative of FS. Am I one of your kind Evan? I wish I was, he is very dashing with a Don Jon quality. Did seem to show those "scarecrow" attributes but felt like it is just a part of his "look" due to his build. Lots of arm movements but nothing I would call a "windmill" - more Elvis P like. He stepped out on his first 3 but shortly was followed by a perfect 3x2. Not very long with any of the spins, they seemed more as in between filler. This was much more of a dance number than anything really resembling a routine - as expected I 'supose. He had a clean 3x2 and a triple that was heavy on the telegraph, a number of 3 turns from one end of the rink to the other - he looked kind of tiered. Pour guy was probably up all night staring at Tanith :laugh: Again, it really did not seem that over the top with "machoness," rather showy - like the performances on "So you think You Can Dance" - and had some fantastic edge work. Everything was scattered about as "which elements go where" was nice not to know ~ for example I would say there were 3 1/3 foot work segments. Nice not to know what to expect, or when something was coming. Although a couple of jumps seemed to take forever to happen. Certainly a powerful man on the ice with a dashing quality. I would say Elvis meets Gene Kelly - loosely by association. But that is the feeling / comparison I was left with.

Pang and Tong really took me by surprise - Beauty wise. She is another one that does not look AS skinny in person and they look very good together. And wow nice smile!!!! This was a really pretty piece emoting hidden passion with impeccable timing up to the first side by side jump. Great hight she had and both had excellent exits, but they were really off on take off. The timing was quickly regained for some moves, spread eagle and some footwork, and the set up and take off of the 3 throw was great but she fell. Seemed like she wanted to go earlier than he wanted to throw her - but wow did she go really high!! The lifts were fantastic, he had very firm edges during spin lifts and wow can she create nice lines with her extensions. I felt like the choreography was great for this number, music was romantic and charged with dynamics and climaxes. They covered the whole ice surface with good consistency in speed. I remember loving the way they look during their crossovers - "connected." In tune most of the programme, but a few key points had sort lived problems. Great recovery to the point that, if I solely had to recall their performance from memory, I would have forgotten the few slight mistakes.

Vladimir and Oleksiy were uniquely entertaining again, this time it was a "spin" on Mozart - particularly but not confined to the movie Amadeus - and was rousingly funny. The costumes were nicely done late 18th century complete with wigs. Great to see skating in that type of outfit. They did an effect with the lighting that worked wonderfully with the programme, it may have been during Oleksiy's one hand handstand on Vladimir's head while he was in a reverse shoot the duck - the must have held it for 10 seconds, Vladimir especially due to the time it took Oleksiy to get into position with just one hand. Impressive and very funny. The really dramatic lighting effect that appeared to be coming from under the ice - it was a glowing ice monolith floating in darkness ;) - cued the drastic change in music and bpm and they did a very acrobatic, well timed with music, nicely done break dancing, etc.. portion that showed more of the difficulty side - there was a mistake on one of the "moves" but I did not right down which.

Shizuka I must have been mesmerized, for I have very few words on a page. She had a beautiful white / lgt blue ??? (was it the lighting?) dress that seemed like some form of "protective layer" between the world. Her rhythm IMMEDIATELY was fantastic, she is so "on beat" and moves as the music moves her. She had done a 3l that was precisely one with the music form beginning to exit .... uhhhhhh :love:. The programme had a "floating quality" - like an bird soaring in the clouds feeling - some might think airplane arms with the amount she was holding out her "chiffon jacket" but I thought it was impressive how well she held it in place / where it looked best. Such a great performer, made for the spot light IMO. It might even make me think Ambassador of Japan, would be beneath her - not that a honor such as an ambassador for a country is "small time" it is not. But Shizuka is just destined for something greater it seems. ??? The "jacket / protection" was unbuttoned from the neck and worked marvelously into a flowing cape loosely following the wind behind her, dancing ripples... hopefully I am giving a "good mental image" of the scene. Every jump made was perfect but one that was a 2 foot - may have been another but they both would have been very minor, slight tap of the skate on the swing of the free leg type. As I think back on Shi-chan's solo pro, I think this was my favorite of the evening. Well between her and Shae lynn ;) Shizukas's was not on the excitement level, more for the "Tribute" style of programme. In time with everything - did I say that already? - so rhythmic - oh I bett I said that too :laugh: but I can't emphasis it enough how "one with the music" she seemed to be. It was different than the last time I saw her, maybe she just went auto pilot completely or something. But the last words on her page are, " she was the music - vs-vr."

Plushy bombadroa. Great news, he was up to the same great skating quality he always is - no question one of the finest. Bad news, where did anyone think this music was suitable??? The sound quality was distorted - like putting a arena system in a bathroom at full volume - and it only suited 1/4 of the entire programme. The hardest part was getting through the foot work - the blades were phenomenal, the music didn't even come close to matching. It was rocking good music, but the editing, timing, sound quality really stunk. But Plushy, a truly great in skating. He started the programme with blow my mind edge work and just tossed a 3t out of no where! :eek: And text book at that. Next was a 2a followed by a 2A!!!! wooooooh! Wild YEvgini was still present in this incarnation, but it was not as wild as most in the past. There was a message of confidence AS WELL AS stability. A maturity level that had not been there in the past but still had the "child at heart" in his soul of the choreography. A champion no doubt - however annoying anyone including myself will find him OCCASIONALLY (or not) - he uses ever inch of the rink, powers effortlessly through any of his edge work and can make a mistake - did the half rotation on ice thing again as did last year) and not a soul but me likely noticed. One really funny aspect of this programme which should just before gotten for the "randomness" is when he put out his hand into the audience - as he did to me last year - a lady grabbed his hand and did not intend to let go. I couldn't quite see from across the rink, but a friend appeared to help her loosen her grip on the "sex bomb's" hand. Anyhoo, LSS, he was great and ever so impressive, but the programme itself left the most to be desired out of all the ones I saw. And NOT for skating - Plushy is definably one of the best and talent did not disappoint, but the "art" side of this piece was not anyones best. Have to hand it to him too, for it seemed like he knew this was not the best fit of music and choreography, and he worked it for all it had. He did a great job with what he had to do. - gee the irony if he was the one who picked the music and choreographed it :eek:

Sasha, I think they saved the best for last - as they think the general populous was concerned. Not my fave programme of the night MAYBE due to seeing it a few times already. But the crowd......, oh my gosh the boys just get so .... va Klempt :laugh: when she hits the ice, everyone really did. going last did suit her and I think for where it was, who she was, who the others were and know in this "part of the woods" the last solo was perfectly chosen for her this night. :agree:I will admit, I felt very much the same. She looked so D*&$^% gorgeous in the creamy / champagne / beige colored outfit :love: The queen of the beautiful line of the body ... it worked so well and am so happy with her change of costume. This one really made her look exquisitely beautiful. Just the most beautiful vision in the world, the female, and a costume that didn't detract or disrupt. Maybe a little over the top with the explanation, but to see Sasha in an outfit that just allowed for the viewer to see her as a whole rather than the breaks in colors and trying to attract attention to her chest with a plunge line all the way down to..... like I said, nice to see her as a whole woman. The programme was soft, it had a feeling of being outside. Maybe by association of the tree lighting but I don't really think so. It was slightly different than her "Rockafella P" prof. anyway. First jump was a 2a and some elegant gliding, eagles etc... Her 3 was a slight 2 foot more of the blade just tapped for a second though. Had 2 Huge Flying Russian splits ~ I mean really frick'n high dude! Did her lovely and superbly executed "Sasha spiral candle turn out end thinginy" ;) - happy 'cuz I didn't get it last year - and a Silk spun reverse Charlotte. She was just .... more than I expected of her this year, better than last year, and outside of element content, a full programme that did not take it easy in anyway. It was more full and technical than it needed to be, and everyone appreciated it IMO. Greatness she is. Just a "show" and she was steady and immersed beyond what I could have expected form her. She went above and beyond with programme IMO. She could have gotten away with doing less, way less. Could have been a personal thing to do better with this "Hurt" programme this season????, but I personally liked it better than RnJ or Nutcracker whatever her intent was - I just think she had some motive with this routine, for it really was better than it needed to be. She wasn't just trying to get by on the name "Sasha." IOW.

Finale was huge, I will post that soon. Good closing IMO, very ... mature and fitting with the year 2007;)

Last edited: