The Kwan Factor: NBC - IceNetwork.com - 2008 U.S. Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Kwan Factor: NBC - IceNetwork.com - 2008 U.S. Nationals

Perhaps exposure for just the sake of being seen. As much as I adored Michelle and her skating, I do believe that she enjoyed the limelight. Although some people are so infatuated with Michelle and find her so "humble" they may not agree that she plain likes the attention. I feel that to be truly successful, as she so obviously has been, there is a certain ego and showmanship involved.

Maybe Michelle is using her downtime from school to have some fun.

Dizzy
And NBC is not getting anything out of using her? C'mon. It's a two way street.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Perhaps exposure for just the sake of being seen. As much as I adored Michelle and her skating, I do believe that she enjoyed the limelight. Although some people are so infatuated with Michelle and find her so "humble" they may not agree that she plain likes the attention. I feel that to be truly successful, as she so obviously has been, there is a certain ego and showmanship involved.

Agreed. Some people show it more than others. Still, I prefer someone who is more outspoken and honest about themselves (Not too outspoken and/or too honest, now.) There is a time to tone it down and give the standard canned statements, but when you're like that all the time? :indiff:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Millions? :rofl:

Personally, I can only account for the few thousand members who frequent here and MKF and were actually aware that she was going to be a judge on the show...

Michelle says such nice thing about you!

MK isn't even aware of me :cool:

But if each of those thousands told their ten best friends about it, and if each of those friends...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The thing that could be taken "controversially" is how the association of FS and "Pageantry" could be misconstrued negatively. Or is "Pageantry" without subjectivity also?;)

Still, I prefer someone who is more outspoken and honest about themselves
I can't help but know your preferences before any event takes place. Maybe if Kwan kept a diary and opened up about making cookies you would appreciate her all the more, or like Johnny and talk more about fashion. I think these are your preferences. Am I correct?

Joe

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Agreed. Some people show it more than others. Still, I prefer someone who is more outspoken and honest about themselves (Not too outspoken and/or too honest, now.) There is a time to tone it down and give the standard canned statements, but when you're like that all the time? :indiff:

I think this says a lot about our pop-culture obsession... When did it become a negative to be mindful of what you say? One of the things I admire about her and others who've grown up in the spotlight is the ability to shut your trap and keep a definate seperation between the public you and the real you... She doesn't owe the public her soul.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think this says a lot about our pop-culture obsession... When did it become a negative to be mindful of what you say? One of the things I admire about her and others who've grown up in the spotlight is the ability to shut your trap and keep a definate seperation between the public you and the real you... She doesn't owe the public her soul.

Absolutely Spot On!!!! Thankyou Kwanford Wife for your opinion which I wholeheartedly concur with. :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't help but know your preferences before any event takes place. Maybe if Kwan kept a diary and opened up about making cookies you would appreciate her all the more, or like Johnny and talk more about fashion. I think these are your preferences. Am I correct?

Umm, sort of- although I would be more interested in her career, mindset, etc. I do enjoy reading about skaters' experiences and hearing them talk about it. I also like seeing their personality come out. But it's not all about having an "online journal" these days. I just find her very uninteresting....skating and personality-wise.
But I get that from her public persona. I dunno...maybe she should really become a politician :laugh:

Notice that 99.2% of all Kwan discussion leans toward pure speculation. This thread is a good example of a rather far-fetched theory involving her.

She's a person lots look up to, and as long as she stays out of trouble it's fine with me. Much better than Lindsay or Paris Hilton for instance.

The thing that could be taken "controversially" is how the association of FS and "Pageantry" could be misconstrued negatively.
Well, one of the judges was the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. That's quite appropriate because the biggest Pageant in the U.S. is the Super Bowl. (Plus, if Dallas makes it, we also get the Dallas Cowgirls for the price of a ticket.)

One of the other judges was a lady named Lindsey Clubine. Her claim to fame is that she is one of the briefcase girls on "Deal or No Deal." I don't know how Howie feels about associating his show with a sleezy cattle call like the Miss Universe contest.

I just hope that The Donald doesn't blame Michelle for dragging his show down into the ratings pits, like he blamed Martha Stewart.

Red Dog said:
So much for Kwan and NBC. Apparently even with her in there, the pageant got its lowest rating since 1995 and the lowest viewership ever.

Next!
OK, but seriously Red Dog, do you think the popularity of the Miss Universe contest rises and falls with the choice of judges?

The question about Michelle and NBC is whether they will invite her to comment on figure skating next season, and whether that would have any appeal to figure skating audiences.

I just wish Michelle could have gone on The View before Rosie left (speaking of Donald Trump), so she could have got in Rosie's face and said, hey, why didn;t you stick up for me when Fran Drescher trashed me on your talk show 8 years ago?

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
I just wish Michelle could have gone on The View before Rosie left (speaking of Donald Trump), so she could have got in Rosie's face and said, hey, why didn;t you stick up for me when Fran Drescher trashed me on your talk show 8 years ago?

:laugh: :laugh: Then again, Rosie might have gotten back in her face about her dating Philip Anschutz's son. Or just sat on her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, but seriously Red Dog, do you think the popularity of the Miss Universe contest rises and falls with the choice of judges?

I don't, actually. But I'm not into beauty pageants- even with the eye candy, I just can't pull myself to do it.

Unlike what a lot of folks would like to admit, I doubt MK had anywhere as big an impact as people thought. Therefore, my comment is to be taken in a somewhat sarcastic tone. She was simply one of the celeb judges, and a couple of her wild fans on MKF found out and gave the show, let's be generous and say, maybe about a thousand more viewers. But when ratings points are measured in terms of MILLIONS, the impact of 1,000 suddenly doesn't seem so big.

The question about Michelle and NBC is whether they will invite her to comment on figure skating next season, and whether that would have any appeal to figure skating audiences.

I actually think that in the back of her mind, she might have some interesting insights on competing given her experience and success. But nah, she's too plain and PC - couldn't be as analytical or insightful as we might require of her. Still, she'd make a good interviewer or promoter for the event.

Imagine if Paula was the ONLY judge on Idol...????!?!

R.D.

Record Breaker
That said, I'll be the first to eat my hat if she DOES get hired and brings with her to the booth the insight and wittiness of Dick Button (and works on her voice so it's not so :indiff: and monotone)

Just because you were a champion skater doesn't mean you'll be a star commentator. I think the key for NBC is to try and go for a younger commentating team. The team of Dick and Peggy worked well but they could be alienating younger audiences. Of all the current skaters out there, I actually think Tara L. would be the best choice - it SEEMS like she'd fit in well with a broadcast team.

But I dunno...I don't want to be forced to listen to someone drone on and on just because they once had star power.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
But I dunno...I don't want to be forced to listen to someone drone on and on just because they once had star power.

Maybe, Michelle might be willing to keep her mouth shut when she doesn't have something to say (IIRC, there was one event where Kurt said something like "enjoy this", and didn't say another word during the entire performance)

Seriously, I think the expectations of Kwan at the pageant -- one celebrity among a bunch of others -- should be different than they would be of Kwan as a skating commentator -- where she should be treated as a knowledgeable expert.

ciroc83

Rinkside
I do love love love me some Michelle..... However, she sounds like she as a large bag of marbles in her mouth when she speaks. I hope she steers clear of commentary. :thumbsup: